Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scorpion rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default scorpion rockers

has anyone ran them on a stock cube ls1? iam running custom 241 heads with a stock cube balanced shortblock and a Ms4. i was wondering if i should try and run them instead of stockers any info will be appreciated. also whats the retail? SDPC doesnt have them listed

Last edited by jow02327; 11-19-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or any other roller rockers
Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

i run them..... tq v.3 111lsa and stage 2.5 5.3 liter heads. I have no complaints with them car runs like a champ they can be had for like 350
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive been looking to get the 1.8 for my car. I havent heard much from them or people using them. If anyone else is using them, chime in please....
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

I was considering a post similar to this one. I am curious how these compare to the other low cost alternatives. Specifically how do they compare to the Yella Terra's and Harland Sharps? Form the pictures it appears to be a design more like the Harland Sharps, but does anyone know how the weight at the valve compares to the other 2. I was leaning towards the new Yella Terras due to the supposedly lighter at the valve design than the Harlands and then i heard about these. It would be nice if someone with access to a spintron would test a set for us and pass the unbiased info on to the masses. I guess unless some more info pops out about these in the near future I will go ahead and stick with my previous plan and get the Y/T's.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scorpions are not shaft mount. They use a unique "U" channel system that keeps the rockers in alignment. They employ a pedestal for the trunion that has flats on it that sits down inside of the "U" channel. This system keeps the roller tip directly over the valve stem. High quality, good price. No rocker cover issues and no hardened pushrods needed. 1.8s are available. For the price this is a no brainer. Try scorpionperformance.com
Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

I had scorpion 1.7 rockers on my motor and after putting down some low numbers on the dyno the tuner told me to put the stock rocker back on, I put the car back on the dyno without doing anything else to the car and the car picked up 44rwhp. Out of the 16 rockers 9 had stress cracks when I pulled them off, I still need to talk to the company about that! I'll stick with the stock ones.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=Z28FirefighterI1;8156763]I had scorpion 1.7 rockers on my motor and after putting down some low numbers on the dyno the tuner told me to put the stock rocker back on, I put the car back on the dyno without doing anything else to the car and the car picked up 44rwhp. Out of the 16 rockers 9 had stress cracks when I pulled them off, I still need to talk to the company about that! I'll stick with the stock ones.[/QUOTE

Well that sux... When did you get yours and where did you order them from? What did your tuner think was causing the problem? Was it excess valvetrain weight causing valve float at the top of the pull, or do you think your geometry was off with the Scorpions, or was it affecting your lifter preload either causing the valves not to close completely or not open completely, or did you think it was just caused by the stress cracks and the flex that was occurring? I know there have been a few reports of people loosing HP with the Yella Terras and Harlands as well, but from what I have read it is usually just a pushrod length issue or shimming issue with the Y/T's and a weight thing with the Harlands requiring more spring pressure.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ws6man2000
i run them..... tq v.3 111lsa and stage 2.5 5.3 liter heads. I have no complaints with them car runs like a champ they can be had for like 350
What kind of numbers are you putting down with this setup? A4 or M6?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28FirefighterI1
I had scorpion 1.7 rockers on my motor and after putting down some low numbers on the dyno the tuner told me to put the stock rocker back on, I put the car back on the dyno without doing anything else to the car and the car picked up 44rwhp. Out of the 16 rockers 9 had stress cracks when I pulled them off, I still need to talk to the company about that! I'll stick with the stock ones.
Unfortunately, you are about the fourth or fifth person I have seen with cracking Scorpion rockers. I would go with the Yella or Cranes. I have installed both, and they are well designed, well made and have been problem free.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Stick to the stockers,,they are more than just fine. If you have heard of needle bearing issues,,please take note of how many of those you'll find before passing judgement,,its pretty rare. That and the fact that aftermarket rockers are not cheap, no huge gains (if any?),,your money could be spent in a more benifical way. Good luck with your research.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do we have a sponsor here for the scorpions? and i was thinking about running them or harland sharps myself..
Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
Stick to the stockers,,they are more than just fine. If you have heard of needle bearing issues,,please take note of how many of those you'll find before passing judgement,,its pretty rare. That and the fact that aftermarket rockers are not cheap, no huge gains (if any?),,your money could be spent in a more benifical way. Good luck with your research.
This was my original plan, to use my stock rockers but i was planning on sending them off to Nasty Performance to have them sent to Harland for the upgrade. This would eliminate the needle bearing issue, but this was going to cost close to $300.00 by the time you added in all of the shipping charges. Then it was discovered that people were having some geometry issue (swipe pattern) issues with the stock rockers and high lift camshafts (the intake lift on the cam I have is .640+), also it has been mentioned that the Yella Terra's with their new design are no heavier at the valve than the stockers but also include the roller tip, that combined with the fact that I could get them for <$100.00 more than the stocker upgrade led me to leaning towards using them. Now if the Scorpions provided the same benefits at the same cost point i would be all over those, but it is beginning to sound like they do not.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks for answering my questions guys. stockers it is. iam running a MS4 so i dont want the failing
Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

My question is do any aftermarket roller rockers show any inprovement on the LSX motors? If it has I have never seen it posted. Never seen a before and after dyno. It reminds me when I use to bass fish. If you paint that lure a pretty blue color and put some sharp graphics on it. Will it catch the fish or just the fisherman?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you install purely for hp, the cost/hp is quite high. However, in my opinion, the stock rockers have a very wide wipe pattern with the stock cam. Increase the lift, its even wider. If you ever flip over a stock rocker, you will also likely find some are not even contacting the center of the valve stem but rather are on the side (front to back in the car). Now introduce bronze guides and stiffer springs, you are also introducing a lot of side load on your valve guides and a lot of wear as well. A properly setup set of roller rockers can reduce this wipe pattern drastically, the last set I setup had a wipe less than 0.060" wide right on the center. Car made great power too. The aftermarket roller rockers (Crane specifically, but likely the Yella's as well) are also stiffer so you translate more of the cam lift to the valve. So the stockers work with aftermarket setups, but I think you will be seeing a lot of groaning in the future as miles start to accumulate on these setups and oil usage goes up as a result of valve guide wear.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

I just installed the scorpion 1.7's a few weeks ago and after startup there was a tapping noise that sounded like the motor was coming apart. I pulled the valve covers and found that several of the rockers where coming in contact with the small pegs that hold the baffle in place on the under side of the cover. Here's my post on the ls1gto.com:

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198963

Perhaps yours were making slight contact that eventually caused the hairline fractures.

Other than this little hiccup I'm thoroughly satisfied with the scorpions. No shims like the other brands and a direct stock replacement. The only complaint is scorpion should mention that due to the apparent variability in the dimensions of the valve covers there is the possibility of slight contact with the underside of the cover.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

hey knight rider havent dynoed it yet.... still dialing in the tune and it needs a new tranny and clutch and yes m6
Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

I have never heard of this for real. Can you send me some pics of the rockers and where they are cracked? I am not saying you are wrong but would like to see this. We have had people in Houston routinely breaking Jesel J2Ks driving around on the street but it had nothing to do with the rockers! Still you never know but I have used several sets with no issues at all so far but still not that many total units so I am interested in where and how yours were cracking. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

I was also thinking of making a similar post. I am fairly new to all the ls1 stuff. I just traded my turbo mustang for a ls1 car.

I have a stock short block with Thunder Racings Trex cam. I am putting the heads on this weekend. They are PRC 5.3 stage 2.5 heads. What rocker would be best for my setup? Also was wondering what the best lifters to use.

Quick Reply: scorpion rockers