Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping a shortblock that was in storage for assmebly, got some Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prepping a shortblock that was in storage for assmebly, got some Q's.

So I've had my new shortblock sitting in a plastic bag and ive used WD40 and trans fluid on the machined areas to keep it from rusting as per others suggestions. Now im wondering whats i need to do to clean this thing up to make sure these rings are gonna seat correctly when it finally fires up? I've seen many motors assembled with regular motor oil in the rings when the pistons are slid in, but now I had WD40 and trans fluid in mine lol. Should i just give em a thorough brake cleaning a couple times and wipe the walls down with a paper towel with some motor oil on it, or leave em dry orrr??? This is my first rebuilt motor I'm working with so I'm not sure what steps need to be taken to make sure the rings seat well.

When i got the motor from a sponsor the walls were dry and someone at the shop tore the plastic wrap around the motor open a lil to see which block it was I'm guessing and a week after i got it it started to get some flash rust on one or two of the bores so i wiped it down with the trans fluid and lightly hit the rusted area with a green scotch brite pad just enough to take the flash off. I still see lots of crosshatch and its not shiney, im hoping this wont effect the ring seal much if any??
Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were mine and it's not. I'm also not an engine builder. I would wipe the whole thing down with a dry rag. Maybe some brake cleaner on the machined surfaces, esp were gaskets will be. Then mabye a thin coat of oil on the cylinder walls. Turn it over a few times by hand and put that puppy together.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

take to your local carwash, use a powerwasher. make sure they use hot water though. scrub that thing clean with soft brush and rinse it good. when your done, wipe everything down with a dry towel, and spray it down with wd40.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

I beat mine with a hose and some soap, then I coated everything with motor oil. When it was time to put parts on, I would remove motor oil from the are with a rag, then use mineral spirits to clean it, then apply new motor oil.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of people hsing their shortblocks down with soap and cleaners, but isnt there assembly lube on the cam, and crank or rod journals? Just seems liek washing that away is asking for problems at startup especially since i dont know of any way to prime the oiling system on an LS1.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just rebuilt my LT1 motor this past weekend.

The old motor had grime and crap on the outside. I took all the internals out.

I kept it oiled and bagged so it wouldnt rust, and it has not.

I took a bucket of hot water, simple green a soft brush, shop rags and 2-3 cans of Brake Cleen. I started with the water and simple green, full strenght, I brushed top to bottom, and inside the cyl. I used clean water to rinse. Then air hosed everything, all holes.

Then hit it with brake cleen, it takes everything off, and really got it looking new, re hit with the air hose, then RE applied WD-40 to keep it clean and looking good till next day.

I prepped the rest of the internals in preperation, like cleaned off the pistons, re did the rings, got everything dialed in.

As for the block we left the oil(wd 40) in there and ran a ball hone through her, since it was clean it was fine. Then re-douched the motor with brake clean. For final assembly we used motor oil, regular motor oil Straight weight. The bearings got GM bearing lube and now it sits, re oiled, waiting for a buyer