Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark knock with 93+ HELLPPPP

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark knock with 93+ HELLPPPP

i am gettting so pissed because i cant get rid of this spark knock. its on a basicly stock motor always use 93 octane and synthetic oil. jsut bolt ons and i just got a tnt f1 nitrous kit. the spark knock starts only at WOT past 4500 rpm. I am getting so mad because i cant spray till i get rid of it. It stops if i put like 100+octane but it shouldnt be like that. What should i do without losing pwer
Old 11-22-2007, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Pull some timing in the high load areas. Make sure the MAF is clean. Make sure the plugs are gapped correctly or run a colder plug. Check your A/F with a wideband to make sure it isn't leaning out when it goes into PE (WOT).
Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Launching!

wont pulliung some timing make me loos alot of power?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

If you have too much timing and the car is knocking, you're ALREADY loosing a lot of power. Unless you have altered the tune previously, a stock tune will pull TONS of timing when it sees knocking (8 degrees I think).

Asuming your not running lean, your pipes are not banging and your plugs are good and gapped properly, follow this procedure: Pull 2* at a time in the high-load areas, test and repeat until it goes away...Then add 1* back in and recheck. If it's still good, then you are set. You don't even have to put miles on it after each change (unless you also change something in the fueling), it has an effect immediately.

Then smooth out the transitions from low/mid load to the high-load ones you just dialed-in so your transitions are gradual and not big jumps in timing from one cell to another. Test and repeat until you clear up all knock.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Thats some good advice big bird definately knows his stuff. The only thing I have to add is that if it is a higher milage engine its possible that you could be getting a carbon knock, if you have some serious miles on it you can take off the intake and while the engine idles SLOWLY and carefully pour a few drops of water in at a time, itll turn violently to steam in the combustion chamber and blow chunks of carbon out the exhaust. If you wanna really be nice to your baby take off your cats to and let it just blow out without touching your precious honeycombs.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

You haven't listed your mods, so just in case, check your fuel pressure at WOT, to make sure your fuel pump is keeping up with the fuel demand at WOT. If it isn't, the car goes lean and detonates.

DO NOT RUN NITROUS until you have checked your fuel delivery which also includes checking to make sure your injector duty cycle is below 80 ~ 85% at WOT! And if you haven't already and your shooting a dry shot, make sure you install a FPSS with a second inline solenoid to shut nitrous off if your fuel pressure drops too low...

To run nitrous, you will have to pull more timing out from the high-load areas. But I'd recommend you do that on a dyno.

Last edited by BigBirdTA; 11-22-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Launching!

u r really helppin.....i only have bolt ons nothing special exausht intake headers....i havent shot the nitrous i no that would be playing with fire. i have to get rid of the knock. i want to do the tune but i dont want to spend 350 or 400 and it not get rid of the knock
Old 11-22-2007, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year do you have? Check a local forum to see if you can get someone with hp tuners or efi live to give you a hand. It really only takes a few minutes if they know what they are doing.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Launching!

it is a camaro z28 2001 a4