Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headgasket options

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headgasket options

I've searched and I've read and I understand Cometics are the preffered way to go, but I may not be able to get them in time. I'm planning on tear down starting this weekend with reassembly complete next week.

OK, here's where I'm at, stock 3.898 bore NA motor. I'm running 5.3 heads and if the P to V gods are willing I'll be looking for a thinner gasket then the stock MLS.

Lets assume I can get away with .041". I can get Felpro 1041s at Summit, but their larger bore is going in the opposite direction when it comes to CR and I've heard re-torquing is a PITA, although quinch will be better than the .053" OEM MLS.

I checked Summit since they're in driving distance and I can measure P to V and then go pick them up if they'll fit. Another option is if any of the sponsers here have a good .041" gasket that I can order and return if I can't use them unopened and undamaged of course with a reasonable re-stocking fee.

I'm trying to squeeze the last few points of CR and more importantly improve quinch.

TIA
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thunder can overnight or 2 day cometics to you.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

62cc 5.3s are allready milled and with a 232/234 FM14 I would be carefull using .040 gasket for PTV, especially if the cam on a 112 LSA.

Best is to measure but from experience I would say use the GM MLS and STILL MEASURE PTVC
Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
62cc 5.3s are allready milled and with a 232/234 FM14 I would be carefull using .040 gasket for PTV, especially if the cam on a 112 LSA.

Best is to measure but from experience I would say use the GM MLS and STILL MEASURE PTVC
That's exactly why I have a delima. I have the MLS set, but if I find out through measuring P to V I can run the .040 I'd like to have them on hand and not have to wait for them to ship. But if I have them on hand and can't use them I'd like to return them unopened and and damaged for a nominal restocking fee.

The 5.3s are milled about .003 for resurfacing, but the valve drop on the 5.3s are about .030" as I recall. It's been awhile...

So, running on pump gas where are the realistic benefits to come from, trying to get a tighter quinch, but pushing past the 11:1 CR mark or keeping it simple and just giong with the MLS gaskets (still measuring P to V of course)?

Also, which CR calculator is accurate? If I use the table located at LS1Tech head CC CR thread I get 11:1 with my ~61cc chambers. While this calculator I get 10.7:1
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Wink

compression ratio = bdc volume divided by tdc volume, if you know what the measurments for thoes two are just do it on a calculator calculator
Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever considered flycutting the pistons if need be? You'd have the best of all the worlds then. Tight quench, higher CR, and P to V clearance.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The large bore of the 1041's is going to somewhat counter act the effects your looking for, compression wise anyway. I would measure with the MLS gaskets, and if you have the room, go to your local dealer and pick up a set of graphites and get .010" closer. If your dead set on some .040"s, like said above, Thunder can get you what you need quick. I doubt they would have a problem restocking a set of stock bore gaskets if you didn't need them. I'm sure that is a commonly used gasket.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Food for thought, Cometics also come in .045. I got a set frpm TSP very quickly...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The large bore of the 1041's is going to somewhat counter act the effects your looking for, compression wise anyway. I would measure with the MLS gaskets, and if you have the room, go to your local dealer and pick up a set of graphites and get .010" closer. If your dead set on some .040"s, like said above, Thunder can get you what you need quick. I doubt they would have a problem restocking a set of stock bore gaskets if you didn't need them. I'm sure that is a commonly used gasket.
That's the answer I was looking for, I didn't know if GM still stocks the graphite gaskets. I was going to swing by the dealer today. Although, most have recommened to just stay with the MLS as I'm playing with fire trying to get those last few points of compression and .010" less (or more) quinch.

My builder said don't worry about it. His motors usually run a minimum of .060" quinch, but that's at 16:1CR. He just ran an 8.71 on Pinks only to be told by RC that they weren't looking for race cars...

He siad it was kind of funny as his whole bracket got kicked off for low ETs under part throttle. He had a few choice words for Rich, but waited until they were out of ear shot as he also stated that he is twice as muscular looking in person as on TV!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Who's your engine builder and where is he?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Who's your engine builder and where is he?
He's in Flagstaff AZ. He's not working for the public, he's just a lifetime friend of mine. He does a lot of work out of his shop for some of the Nascar teams and Arius and a few others. He also pilots his on Promod car that I can't remember his low ET on so I don't want to mis-quote right now. The car he took to pinks is a Nova with a SBC
Here's his promod

And here's another motor of his waiting for it's home...I think it ended up in another Nova.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and he mentioned tonight that he's working on a new style combustion chamber LSx head.