Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Head/Cam swap...?? (Patrick G, feel free to come on in)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Questions about Head/Cam swap...?? (Patrick G, feel free to come on in)

Ok guys bare with me, I am very new to internal work. I am getting ready to order all of my parts for my head/cam swap. Can I please get your recommendations? Here is what I am looking to buy, can you chime in with what brand/make/model# that you prefer. If you could give reasons why, that would be great also!

1. HEADS: Assembled ETP 215's....what cc? runner size?

2. CAM: Custom grind... I was thinking 228/232....what do you think?

3. SPRINGS: I believe the assembled ETP's come with upgraded springs...am I correct? What springs come with them?

4. ROCKERS: Yella Terra or Harland Sharp? Which is best? What model?

5. PUSHRODS: I have no idea what to look for...help?

6. OIL PUMP: Melling high performance pump...what model??

7. TIMING CHAIN: Double roller? What kind/make do you guys prefer?

8. LIFTERS: I have no idea on this...help?

9. UNDERDRIVE PULLEY(S): ASP underdrive pulley, and ASP alternator pulley....should the alternator pulley be underdrive or overdrive?? (I think I have the 2 backwards)

10. GASKETS: I was thinking the Cometic MLS gaskets...what size though? What other gaskets will I need during this process?

11. RETAINERS: I want titanium...do the assembled ETP's come with titanium, or do I have to buy them separately?

12. INJECTORS: I am pretty sure this would max out the stockers...so what size/brand should I upgrade to?

13. ROD BOLTS/MAIN STUDS: I was thinking about doing ARP, but I don't know what the difference is between "Main Studs" and "Rod Bolts" could someone please help me with this? Plus, if you could give me part #'s that'd be great!

I think that is about it from what I have researched... I am not looking to cut corners here. I want to do this job once, and do it right. I am planning on doing this myself, and this will be my first time. I apologize for how new I am to internal stuff...that's why I come to you guys! I really want to learn everything about these parts!! Help me out PLEASE!!

HOW AM I GOING TO LEARN IF I DON'T DO IT MYSELF??!!!

Thanks for your time guys!

-James

Last edited by firebirdman469; 11-28-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 AM
Launching!

Well.... What are your goals for this build? Daily Driver?

For the heads i would call up a sponsor, tell them your goals and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

If your looking for a good streetable cam the 228/232 612ish/598ish on a 112 would be great. I just installed the Torquer V.3, but haven't got to start it yet. If its just a weekend warrior i would go with something like a 23x/24x. Just depends if your looking for power down low or if you want to rev to the moon.

For pushrods the size depends if you milling the heads or not. A pretty standard size is 7.4.

Ive got a stock replacement Melling pump that i ported and shimmed my self. Haven't started the car yet to see what kind of pressure Ive got.

On the timing chain i just got the LS2.

Not real sure on the lifters, but the Cadillac Gm racing lifter seem to be pretty popular. Speed Inc has them for 229.99.

The difference in Rod bolts and Main studs is Rod bolts hold the connecting rods and the Main studs hold the main caps which holds the crank.

Hope this helps you out a little. Just do a little searching and you will find more great info.

Last edited by Low02; 11-28-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

My goals are for a daily driver, but I do go to the track quite often too. I would like a cam that has good "under the curve" power, but I also like a choppy idle. I know that the more choppy it is, the less "daily driver" it becomes...
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Launching!

I love that choppy idle too! That's 1 of the main reasons i went with the V3 on a 111 LSA. If you like a choppy idle, id go with a 110+2 or a 111. The lower you get on the LSA does make it a little harder to tune, but if you get a good tune it will drive fine. Its all in the tune!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

1. HEADS: ETP 215. CC?? I say mill them for more compresstion this will help you get more TQ and HP I dont think you need to flycut with that cam so mill them to 59cc if your not planning to spray.

2. CAM: 228/232 Good cam for daily driven car and will work great under the curve for chop Idel get 112lsa But PM Patrick for great info.

3. SPRINGS: I'm sure the springs that comes with the heads are perfect.

4. ROCKERS: Yella Terra new model everyone who had them is very happy.

5. PUSHRODS: I think this depends on the cam you'll get and how much the heads is milled not sure though.

6. OIL PUMP: Get TSP ported LS6 Oil pump it works fine with alot of cars and you cant beat the price.

7. TIMING CHAIN: LS2 Timing chain works perfrect for this setup and great price too.

8. LIFTERS: Comp cams Lifters.

9. UNDERDRIVE PULLEY(S): ASP underdrive pulley for sure and I dont know about ASP alternator pulley.

10. GASKETS: Also depends how much compresstion you want the engine.

11. RETAINERS: I'm very sure it comes with the heads.

12. INJECTORS: Fast 36lb Injectors works great even if your plan sprying this setup.

13. ROD BOLTS/MAIN STUDS: I'll let someone with more info answer this.

Also try to get EWP if this wont give a couple of HP at least will let the car cool down very fast.

Hope this helps man and good luck with the setup.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Low02
I love that choppy idle too! That's 1 of the main reasons i went with the V3 on a 111 LSA. If you like a choppy idle, id go with a 110+2 or a 111. The lower you get on the LSA does make it a little harder to tune, but if you get a good tune it will drive fine. Its all in the tune!
LSA isnt the main reason of the choppy idle your looking for, its overlap. There is a thread from couple days about this.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TA1364
LSA isnt the main reason of the choppy idle your looking for, its overlap. There is a thread from couple days about this.
Thanks for the clarification. Does anyone else have any input??
Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone else have any preferences/input?