Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on getting my car to idle on stock tune.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tips on getting my car to idle on stock tune.

Just picked up my car today, stock 346, comp 228/232 .588/.595 110+4 LSA, Longtubes, catted Y, and a catback, stock intake/throttle body, 3.73 gears and 3000 stall. Any tips on how to get my car to idle on its own on the stock tune without drilling the tb? im getting it tuned in the spring!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is wanting more air. So either: drill the TB hole larger, adjust the idle set screw to hold the throttle open a bit more (you do not want to go to high, as a code can set), or have a local enthusiast with tuning software quickly adjust your idle to work.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

alirght ill try that, do you think if i keep my foot on the gas for a while and just let off slow it mihgt want to...i think its only been ran for like 20 minutes since the install
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let it warm up first.

Keep your foot on the gas and hold the idle at 1k rpm.

I may be like 5 minutes but the car should want to idle on its own after it is warm. My car used to be like that with the old LS6 intake. After the FAST 90 install it would start right up and idle perfectly.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

I'd say don't even try. You're going to create more problems for later down the road. The stock A4 tune idles at 550rpm when in-gear at a reasonable coolant temperature. That cam will struggle to maintain idle at 750~800rpm even with a tune. At 550, there just isn't enough of a vacuum. By drilling out the hole in the throttle body, you're essentially going to be adding in way more air than the PCM thinks it needs. It'll try to compensate with the IAC until it can't close the IAC any further. Why is this bad? When the tuner does go to tune it, you're going to have too much of a hole in your throttle body blade and the idle or off-throttle characteristics of the car will be a bitch to try and fix.

I say bad move. If you couldn't afford a tune, you shouldn't have modded the car.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Try the idle air screw, your cam isn't that big. That may get you by until the spring. Don't drill the TB, thats a hack job.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I'd say don't even try. You're going to create more problems for later down the road. The stock A4 tune idles at 550rpm when in-gear at a reasonable coolant temperature. That cam will struggle to maintain idle at 750~800rpm even with a tune. At 550, there just isn't enough of a vacuum. By drilling out the hole in the throttle body, you're essentially going to be adding in way more air than the PCM thinks it needs. It'll try to compensate with the IAC until it can't close the IAC any further. Why is this bad? When the tuner does go to tune it, you're going to have too much of a hole in your throttle body blade and the idle or off-throttle characteristics of the car will be a bitch to try and fix.

I say bad move. If you couldn't afford a tune, you shouldn't have modded the car.
I can afford a tune easily rate now, money isnt an issue to me, i modded the car now so i dont have to install the cam in the spring. The fact that its 20 degrees here rate now, and the roads are salted to ****, i cannot justify driving it 4 hours in the salty *** roads in the snow for a tune when i can just wait until the spring. I just wanted to know if i could get it to idle on its own before i put it away, which i did accomplish tonight in about 20 min. So it was worth it!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont drill your tb. my buddy taped 2 pennies to the tb where it sits down to keep it from completely closing and therefore idling higher. sounds really stupid but it worked. for more input and a better description pm "ls1adamls1 " and ask him about his "2 cent mod"...
Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I wouldn't suggest drilling the throttle body. If you want to get it to idle by pedaling it with your right foot or by adjusting the TB set screw, that's fine....it's not permanent. I was more concerned with the suggestions above that said to drill out your TB until it's not a problem.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FadedSS
dont drill your tb. my buddy taped 2 pennies to the tb where it sits down to keep it from completely closing and therefore idling higher. sounds really stupid but it worked. for more input and a better description pm "ls1adamls1 " and ask him about his "2 cent mod"...
That's a horrible idea. That's just straight stupid. Your buddy is lucky he still has a motor in one piece.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol how do you figure? he didnt put them actually inside the tb. im talking about on the outside. the worst thing that could happen would be that the pennies fall off. its difficult to describe but ill try to get a pic...

Last edited by FadedSS; 12-06-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mentioned drilling the throttle body hole only as a temporary "fix". If this was done, then you would also need to disclose this to the tuner and/or supply a spare stock throttle body blade replacement (I have many laying around for when I come across a drilled throttle body).
Old 12-07-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol how do you figure? he didnt put them actually inside the tb. im talking about on the outside. the worst thing that could happen would be that the pennies fall off. its difficult to describe but ill try to get a pic...
I see what your saying, but even if they fell off from the outside if he accidently opened the blade again it could suck the pennies in. If his MAF is descreened he'd be in deeper ****.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
I see what your saying, but even if they fell off from the outside if he accidently opened the blade again it could suck the pennies in. If his MAF is descreened he'd be in deeper ****.
naw man im talking outside the throttle body! know where the tb rests when closed?

let me try to describe it better:
are you familiar with grinding down the bumpstop to get the tb blade to open a full 50/50? im talking about taping pennies or some other sort of "spacer" on the bumpstop so that it cant fully close, therefore idling higher.

keep in mind im suggesting a temporary fix before getting a tune not a permanent mod

Last edited by FadedSS; 12-07-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Launching!

naw man im talking outside the throttle body! know where the tb rests when closed?

let me try to describe it better:
are you familiar with grinding down the bumpstop to get the tb blade to open a full 50/50? im talking about taping pennies or some other sort of "spacer" on the bumpstop so that it cant fully close, therefore idling higher.

keep in mind im suggesting a temporary fix before getting a tune not a permanent mod
Why would you tape 2 pennies to it? Theres a set screw that you can screw in or out to adjust the idle.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Low02
Why would you tape 2 pennies to it? Theres a set screw that you can screw in or out to adjust the idle.
we didnt want to mess with the idler screw..but thats the definately the easiest way to do it
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I wouldn't suggest drilling the throttle body. If you want to get it to idle by pedaling it with your right foot or by adjusting the TB set screw, that's fine....it's not permanent. I was more concerned with the suggestions above that said to drill out your TB until it's not a problem.
oh okay, i see.. Yeah def. no drilling the tb for me, but will adjusting the set screw mess up my tps sensor? and will this help it to idle in gear, as you said, it wont and there isnt enough vacuum.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got you now, I thought you were saying that he taped pennies in the blade seat to keep it open. That's why I was like WTF?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rocksws6
I got you now, I thought you were saying that he taped pennies in the blade seat to keep it open. That's why I was like WTF?
ya i figured thats how it was interpreted and didnt want to be an ******* about it. it was a temporary fix that worked well without adjusting the idiler screw.

nonetheless, to the op, adjusting the ider screw would solve your problem, goodluck bro
Old 12-08-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

will adjusting the idle set screw mess up the throttle position sensor?