Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can some one tell me why this firebird wont start**vid inside**

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reluctor wheel is on the crank itself. You can see it here on the back of the crank. This is what sends the signal to the sensor. If you have the wrong reluctor wheel, your sensor is out of whack...

Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see, so i need to talk to the engine builder and ask him if they installed the same reluctor wheels on our motors. say they are different can the crank be taken out and the right reluctor wheel be installed on the crank?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Launching!

I'm with EDCMAT.
Although, I'm pretty sure this dude won't know anyone who knows how to operate an oscilloscope let alone own one without paying for their service.
What do engines need to run? Fuel, Air and spark.

Most of the engines out there require the function of the cam, crank and tps sensors together to send out fuel and spark. If there is one that is not working, the computer will cut off spark and fuel. Clearly you have fuel pressure, and clearly no spark. You fixed the sensor issue. Did you clear the code, disconnect and reconnect the battery to see if it came back during cranking? Also, try monitoring other sensors and stuff in the scanner. You may be able to pick up long and short term fuel trim (LTFT and STFT) Or spark operation of any sort.

So it seems lack of spark could be the culprit. I'd recheck that every wire and GROUND is securely connected in the ENTIRE ignition system. If you have a multimeter, this will make the job way easier. And if I were you I'd check other powertrain management relays.

Also, if your fuel injectors are firing and there is no spark, they will wash down your cylinder walls eliminating all capabilities of the piston rings to make a complete oil seal, thus rendering them compressionless. That could explain the odd rpm fluctuation while cranking. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

i wanna know more about this reluctor wheel issue
Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by santiago
i wanna know more about this reluctor wheel issue
The reluctor wheel issue is theres 2 dif wheels. If you have the wrong one, it wont run, because it produces a crank signal thats different. Different number of pulses.
But, even if this was your problem, it would still try to start. It would pop, spit, sputter, etc, but it would attempt to start.
You need some diagnostic equipment. Mainly a scanner and a scope.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
The reluctor wheel issue is theres 2 dif wheels. If you have the wrong one, it wont run, because it produces a crank signal thats different. Different number of pulses.
But, even if this was your problem, it would still try to start. It would pop, spit, sputter, etc, but it would attempt to start.
You need some diagnostic equipment. Mainly a scanner and a scope.
well the scanner shows no codes after we changed the crank sensor?

all the motor does is turn over there is no start and the spark plugs look new still. the grounds are all tight.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

ECM bad???
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by santiago
well the scanner shows no codes after we changed the crank sensor?

all the motor does is turn over there is no start and the spark plugs look new still. the grounds are all tight.
Screw the codes. How bout some real data? Is it trying to fire the injectors? Is it trying to fire the coils?
Code will only tell you so much. You've got to get beyond just looking for codes.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

well as far as the reluctor wheel goes this is what the engine builder told me.

"I think he's having a no spark issue and may need to do a crank relearn. Both motors were the same and have the same 24x reluctor wheel on them. You may want to check the run out on the reluctor wheel on the one that won't start, if there is too much(more than .020) it won't start or run right either, it's a pretty rare problem that I have never personally seen but have heard of".
Old 12-27-2007, 06:28 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you guys tried the crank relearn yet? Even tho I think this isn't your problem, because I'm pretty sure it would still at least start if that was the only problem...
Old 12-27-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Have you guys tried the crank relearn yet? Even tho I think this isn't your problem, because I'm pretty sure it would still at least start if that was the only problem...
ive never done this, is there any instructions on it?
i thought the car needed to be started for this?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Default no

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
I'm with EDCMAT.
Although, I'm pretty sure this dude won't know anyone who knows how to operate an oscilloscope let alone own one without paying for their service.
What do engines need to run? Fuel, Air and spark.

Most of the engines out there require the function of the cam, crank and tps sensors together to send out fuel and spark. If there is one that is not working, the computer will cut off spark and fuel. Clearly you have fuel pressure, and clearly no spark. You fixed the sensor issue. Did you clear the code, disconnect and reconnect the battery to see if it came back during cranking? Also, try monitoring other sensors and stuff in the scanner. You may be able to pick up long and short term fuel trim (LTFT and STFT) Or spark operation of any sort.

So it seems lack of spark could be the culprit. I'd recheck that every wire and GROUND is securely connected in the ENTIRE ignition system. If you have a multimeter, this will make the job way easier. And if I were you I'd check other powertrain management relays.

Also, if your fuel injectors are firing and there is no spark, they will wash down your cylinder walls eliminating all capabilities of the piston rings to make a complete oil seal, thus rendering them compressionless. That could explain the odd rpm fluctuation while cranking. Hope this helps.
I say no way to the ring wash. maybe but can't see it. throw a compression gage on it and roll it over. that would eliminate or decide a problem or 2
Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

I just listend to it again 5 time's. I still say cam timming is off or valve's are hanging open for some reason. You should not get that pop out of the tb.

check the compression .

when he cracked the tb open you could really hear it popping out of the tb.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quick346
I just listend to it again 5 time's. I still say cam timming is off or valve's are hanging open for some reason. You should not get that pop out of the tb.

check the compression .

when he cracked the tb open you could really hear it popping out of the tb.
yep your right. im done trying to figure it out though.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

don't give up. just check the cranking pressure. if it is good take it in .if it is not only one thing

bad cam or it is off
Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

start back with adj or non adj rocker's and push rod length's. I have adj so i alway's forget about the non adj one's.

could be something simple

mike
Old 12-27-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quick346
don't give up. just check the cranking pressure. if it is good take it in .if it is not only one thing

bad cam or it is off
how does one cranking pressure?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Launching!

I agree that either the cam was installed wrong or the wrong length pushrods were used or maybe the rockers are way over tightened which is keeping the valves from closing all the way. It definately sounds like it is losing compression through the intake .I would start by removing all the spark plugs and then remove all the rockers and do a compression check. If you get good compression on all cylinders I would then measure for the correct length pushrods to make sure the ones you have are actually the right ones. Then I would take my time and install the rockers using the correct procedure and hopefully your engine should start assuming you have fuel and spark ! FUEL + SPARK + Air + Compression = a engine that runs ! Good luck !!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The cam could be off, also it does sound like it is loosing compression through the intake. Its a really weird sound i would definitely just pull the timing cover and double check the dot to dot. Just because the engine builder says its ok doesnt make it so. He is just trying to cover his ***. So get a compression tester and test compression and also check cam timing.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

What's the latest?