Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing timing chain (help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing timing chain (help)

So far ya'll been great help on my cam swap. I am now to the timing chain. I cannot get the oil pan to drop the needed 1/2" to unhook the oil pickup. I have loosened every bolt I can find as well as the 2 at the bottom of the bell housing. I can't get it to drop. Do I need to remove the filter as well? I am following the LS1 tech install guide. I have to wooden wedges in there now but a 1/4 inch aint gonna make it.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

no the filter will drop with the pan. I would use caution with wedge's. break that pan you will be pissed

should be 14 bolts that bolt up from the bottem of the pan
Old 12-15-2007, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

also DO NOT DROP THAT PICKUP BOLT. unless you can get the pan off.

took me 20 hr's on my gto to get that damn bolt back out. But i can't pull my pan in the car
Old 12-15-2007, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Double check that you have found all the bolts that hold it up and back them out until the pan sits on the K member. This should be all you need to get to the pick up tube.
It is kind of a bitch but you'll get it just take your time. There is no good in rushing.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine didn't drop down 1/2" either but I was able to get the bolt out and back in. Don't pry on it, just make sure your pan is loose and get it down as far as you can. This is the best you can do without raising the motor. If you drop the pickup bolt, retrieve it with a magnet. I dropped mine a few times and it only took a minute or so to retrieve it with a long magnet. Also, if you don't already know, make sure you tighten the pickup tube bolt down before tightening the bolts that mount the pump. This should keep you from pinching the o-ring and having to take it back apart.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaveX
Mine didn't drop down 1/2" either but I was able to get the bolt out and back in. Don't pry on it, just make sure your pan is loose and get it down as far as you can. This is the best you can do without raising the motor. If you drop the pickup bolt, retrieve it with a magnet. I dropped mine a few times and it only took a minute or so to retrieve it with a long magnet. Also, if you don't already know, make sure you tighten the pickup tube bolt down before tightening the bolts that mount the pump. This should keep you from pinching the o-ring and having to take it back apart.
well if you are working on a front sump gto it will take more than a minute trust me. i had magnets,coat hangers through the oil plug hole and had it once but could not get it around the oil pump pick up tube and the pan.

Just saying take youre time and becarefull.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah you missed some bolts somewhere I did this myself last weekend. After you get them all loose the oil pan will drop. Make sure that you have taken the dust shield screws from the bell housing loose. There are several around the bell housing if I were you I would double check that area. Then there is a few right above the K-member. But you had to miss one.
Also stuff a rag under the pickup tube bolt that way if it drops it stops. It doesn't roll all the way down in the oil pan.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Got it done. I walked away and gave it a little R&R. Came back and got the pu tube mounted. It sounds silly but the damn pu tube was harder than installing the cam and chain. It's getting cold now so that is it for the day. The springs will be the next. Thanks for the positive support. Is'nt the internet a wonderful thing!!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quick346
well if you are working on a front sump gto it will take more than a minute trust me. i had magnets,coat hangers through the oil plug hole and had it once but could not get it around the oil pump pick up tube and the pan.

Just saying take youre time and becarefull.
Not trying to make light of your problem, I'm sure it was a pain in the ***. But it appears he's working on a 01 WS6 and not a GTO. On the F bodys it's not that hard to retrieve it.