Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out the bottom with no lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Out the bottom with no lift?

I saw a post awhile back that lifted the body instead of the engine. Since I don't have a lift, would that be easier than pulling the engine out of the bay?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Half the engine is underneath the windshield. I've done it both ways and dropping the engine and lifting the car is wwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy easier. Plus depending on what your going to do, you can take the engine out with intake, headers, tranny and and most accessories still bolted on = a lot less work.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

i took mine out bottom by lifting the car with an engine hoist. i've never pulled motor out top but i don't think i want to by looking at it, bottom seems way easier. just make sure you have plenty of room to get car up high enough. and like bigbirdta said, you can leave about everything on the motor which makes it much easier.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's definately easier lifting the body off the k member with an engine hoist.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way, you still need a hoist. You still have to lift the body high enough to pull the motor from the bottom, and the only way to get that high is with a hoist or a lift.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I can get a hoist, if I don't already have acces to one.

What all do you unbolt to lift the car? Where do you stick the hooks?

Do you just chalk the tires and leave them on the ground?

Thanks, guys. If anyone knows where those pics are, I'd like to see them.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

there are several things that need unhooked and unbolted to drop the engine. I just did an LS6 swap into my car, but we used a forklift to lift the front of the car. We used a book about F-body modifications for the steps to drop the engine. I can't remember the title of it, but you could probably PM bowtieman81 and ask him as he owns the book. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do a search, someone detailed it very well last year or two years ago, with pictures etc.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/354351-how-remove-engine-bottom.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/433240-started-install-my-ls2-402-slp-w-pics.html
Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Anyone have / ever seen that crazy pic of JRP's car when he took the engine out of it? I've been searching for that one for a long time.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Here's a few pics to help you out.

1) Here's how I set up the hoist. There's no need for hooks, just a good pair of chains and Grade-8 bolts with washers. Wrap the crossbrace with cardboard or something to keep the chains from damaging the paint.

2) Disconnect:

- Drain motor oil, tranny fluid and radiator.
- 2 front Brake lines from ABS block, get the lines off the retainer on the driver side and zip-tie them away from anything they might tangle with.
- Remove radiator and fans assembly.
- Exhaust from headers at collectors.
- Fuel lines.
- Steering knuckle.
- Shifter boot and ****. (you can leave the shifter in place).
- All top-end sensors (MAF, IAC, Injector harness, MAP, Vaccum lines in back of manifold, Throttle cable, etc).
- Wires going to ground bolts on each side of engine block, Starter wires, Crank Pos sensor behind starter
- Disconnect all wires going to both sides of tranny (T-56)
- Take off driveshaft.
- One connector on each side going to brakes.
- All tranny connectors
- Support tranny and remove Tranny Support Bracket.
- Support motor from under K-member and take out 6 bolts (3 on each side) that hold K-Member to the body of the car (they are right next to the lower control arms).

I might have missed something but you get the idea.

IMPORTANT:

You do NOT have to disconnect the A/C lines (see picture below). Just lower the k-member a bit and then unbolt the A/C compressor and rotate it out of the way. I zip-tied mine to the lower radiator support bracket.

And you are done:

Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

You guys can have fun doing it that way! It only takes another 30 minutes to pull the intake off water pump and crank pulley! Mine came out the top with tranny and no issues. Only took two people and we didnt scratch a thing!

Guys, just be carefull lifting the cars with the hoist. I saw a mark 8 done that way one time and the lift was placed infront of the car. The car tipped over as they were trying to pull the motor from underneath, someone neglected to notice he was pulling himself against the car and the engine hoist started to tip and never stopped. Good thing the car was a junker and it was a motor salvage! Just becareful, thats still a lot of weight up in the air even without the motor and tranny.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Awsome pics...hey was it a pain in the *** moving the jacks around on that floor???
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

So...another 30 min to take off intake, water pump, tranny!!, headers!!, steering pump. Plus you WILL have to disconnect A/C lines. 30 minutes, in your dreams.

Not to mention the sh*tload of extra wrenching you have to do.

Last edited by BigBirdTA; 01-05-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
Awsome pics...hey was it a pain in the *** moving the jacks around on that floor???
Nope. The trick is two jacks. Easy to maneuver with two. One under K-member the other under tail of tranny.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I wish I had a garage so badly.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pulling the engine without a lift isn't any easier if you know what you're doing. Once you remove everything from the front of the motor (radiator, hoses, etc) you can just sit your *** in the engine bay and do your work.

It's all in personal preference. Without a lift, I do everything from under the hood. With a lift, it's a given to do it from underneath.