Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst day of my life!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
couldnt you pervent this by always turning your wheels all the way to one side then pull out the key to lock the ignition...so the front wheels will be locked one way and the backs will be locked with either park a4 or m6 parking brake...
I doubt it would stop them. I would guess they're snatching them with a sneeker type lift on a regular pick up truck and loading them a few miles away on a flatbed or something.

I've talked to a few guys that do repo's.
I've also talked to a guy who was picking up an old work van from my driveway after I parted it out, I was pissed because he showed up at 3am.
He said he would have been there earlier because he usually picks up with a truck that 'snatches them right up'. But this van had no tires and he had to get his flatbed. He also said he usually has a guy waiting that can carry two cars on the bed and tow one and when he picks up at night he does it quietly, has this big wrecker parked somewhere where noise isn't an issue and they can load them up.
I'm sure these guys could sneak an f-body into their operation if they wanted.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like I said, it really sucks, but if someone really wants what you have, there isn't too much you can do about it. It really sucks that you can't enjoy owning something nice without living in fear of others taking it away from you because they are against earning what they want and would rather steal from others.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Screw lojack, gps recovery and alarms. By far the BEST anti theft device is called a Ravelco. 100% effective when used properly. Check it out. Ravelco I put one in my car and HIGHLY recommend it. It stops theft, instead of having to rely on recovery. And the price is way better. Makes a good point about alarms too. I never pay attention to them. Unless you have the receiver that alerts you, I think it's worthless.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01LS1Trooper
Screw lojack, gps recovery and alarms. By far the BEST anti theft device is called a Ravelco. 100% effective when used properly. Check it out. Ravelco I put one in my car and HIGHLY recommend it. It stops theft, instead of having to rely on recovery. And the price is way better. Makes a good point about alarms too. I never pay attention to them. Unless you have the receiver that alerts you, I think it's worthless.
LOL..
Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

nice, but its still not gonna stop someone from towing a car, you could just pull a fuse and be just as effective as that system..or put in a blown one, they wouldn't figure that out..
Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used to install a product called electrolock/prolock that does pretty much the same thing, but i believe the op stated it wasn't started and likely towed away, there for voiding the protection offered by these types of products. i have an alarm that pages me when it goes off but it went off so damn much i just took the battery out of the remote. It sits nice and safe in the garage now that i have one.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

How would the Revco device stop a theif with a tow truck?

This device is similar to the GM chip that is on my car key now. It is supposed to stop someone from starting the car without the proper key.

Insurance companies know this is not effective.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Here are a few more thoughts.
What if someone did have lojack, anyone ever heard of a vehicle being recovered with a lojack? (I should stop here and get flamed).
What if these people are stealing cars and putting them in a 'resting spot' to let it cool off and see if it gets found through a tracking device. Sure you get your car back but the problem continues.
If this problem is serious enough someone could get lojack in a car, set it up to get stolen, track it until it reaches it's final destination, which should be where all the rest have gone, not just recover it as soon as they find it just sitting somewhere by itself. And bust at least one ring of car thieves.
I don't see this happening though.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

You are correct that the ravelco would not stop a vehicle being towed off. But what system will? Car alarms are designed so even if it goes off, when the car reaches (don't quote me) 15 degrees the alarm will kill itself. As for the lojack there are some states that it doesn't work in so you have to check availability. The point is, if somebody wants your car bad enough, and they have the knowledge, they will get it. I just try and put systems in place to discourage theft. That's really all you can do. Good info on getting the car assessed for its value though. I definitely need to do that. You are also correct in saying you could just pull a fuse or fuses. But who wants to do that every time?

I had one on my integra which last I knew was the second most stolen car in the US next to a civic. Also one of the easiest cars I know to break into. It had 3 theft attempts, all unsuccessful, and who knows how many more that just said screw it. Just my 2 cents.

My insurance company gave me discounts for both my vehicles since I had it installed. (USAA) Oh and as for the key chip? Guess what you need to get another. The VIN and an underpaid worker in the right place. If theres a will....
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Teching In

sorry for your loss. Your first hot rod is like family and especially when you're young it is probably right up there with the most important things in your world.

Many of us have had our pride and joy ripped off by @#$holes. I had a '87 Mustang that I cut my teeth on. I knew that car better than any I have owned since. I had just installed a tremec trans and new upper and lower intake manifolds when it was stolen, from my apartment along with three other Mustangs in the area. Bastards would tow them to a flatbed and then take them to a chop shop and go to work. Nothing left but a shell when they found it the next day.

Hopefully your insurance will help you out. I was able to buy a Nissan truck that I had to putt around in for three years until I could get my Camaro that I have now (in a garage). Let me tell you those three years of driving a POS import truck watching all your buddies banging gears were horrible, but eventually it all comes around and then your the guy with the new toy. It will get better, hopefully knowing many others have gone through the same thing as you will serve as a little condolence. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

I think it's terrible that law enforcement doesnt give a rats A$$. Reading these stories scares the heck outta me and it makes me furious to hear of your losses. If local or state police dont want to do anything about it, i think we should take it into our own hands. For the people that have problems in louisiana, i would leave your car out over night as bait and set up some way to catch these guys in the act. Atleast up the security around your place..(motion detectors/sensors etc..) sorry for your loss dude, hope you can find it soon..

and may those theives go to hell..
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW i am terribly sorry to hear that about your vehicle. Best of luck to you man!

-Marcus

Quick Reply: Worst day of my life!!!!