Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19 RWHP from AFR 205 59cc?? Are you kidding me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I will chime in here, Sean @ LG is a very experienced,knowledgable tuner IMO.

Like you, i am running a G5X3,SVO30's,full bolt on's,LS6 heads, and a 3600 stall through a slipping A4 and my car dynoed 403/405 @ LGM..(Fbod)..

All kinds of potential with this particular cam, and yes, this cam loves the AFR's...

Consider all of the variables friend, be patient and you'll figure it out.

Good luck. Nice car! and like the other guy stated, i'll give you my stock 243's +$1K for your AFR's.. only because i am a good guy!

Keep us updated.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way to test the cats and exhaust is to disconnect them on the next dyno trip and see what the car does.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
Yeh Im going to take it to the track when it opens back up. The car feels good and pulls like a ****....a lot more than before. Instead of feeling the power come in at 3k like it was with the cam only, it is a constant pull throughout the rpm range. I will try to scan my graph and post it up.

Remember, I dont have the LG Pros, I have their street series headers which dont add as much power and it is also a coupe, not a ZO6. I think that is about the norm for a cam only job.
We go to Red River all the time as it is the closest to Texarkana and is really close to you being in shreveport. They have been opened the past several weekends.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
I will chime in here, Sean @ LG is a very experienced,knowledgable tuner IMO.

Like you, i am running a G5X3,SVO30's,full bolt on's,LS6 heads, and a 3600 stall through a slipping A4 and my car dynoed 403/405 @ LGM..(Fbod)..

All kinds of potential with this particular cam, and yes, this cam loves the AFR's...

Consider all of the variables friend, be patient and you'll figure it out.

Good luck. Nice car! and like the other guy stated, i'll give you my stock 243's +$1K for your AFR's.. only because i am a good guy!

Keep us updated.
He has been good in the past but is he really good enough to dial it in with one N/A pull and one Nitrous pull?

Originally Posted by Sigforty
The best way to test the cats and exhaust is to disconnect them on the next dyno trip and see what the car does.
I may just do that
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He has been good in the past but is he really good enough to dial it in with one N/A pull and one Nitrous pull?

I may just do that
You did ONE pull on the dyno?

That would have been good information to have when we spoke on the phone....LOL

First off the A/F ratio is slightly too rich for big numbers (from what I saw on the scanned sheet you provided), and I would also like to know what the timing was set at....was there any knock retard pulling any timing during the run (you should always log and keep an eye on the KR events).

Plus if the car sat for a little bit before the N/A run (the time it takes to strap it down and get things ready), your driveline would have been cold reducing power to the ground (thats a fact btw).

Alot more going on here than meets the eye....and thats why the car feels alot stronger although spending some additional time on the tune would probably unlock even more.

Keep us posted...

Tony
Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be one of those things. I saw the graph and it looked like you got some nice mid range power gains and picked up a little bit of rpm up top. In reality it looks like the heads worked great.

Yep, you read right.....I only got 19 rwhp and even less rwtq out of a swap from stock 241 heads to 59 cc AFR 205's. I did use stock GM MLS gaskets but It shouldnt cause that much of a loss. I did speak with Tony Mamo who was very helpful and said either the tuner didnt tune it worth a f*ck or the weather station was messing the dyno numbers up. I think I just wanted to vent but am open to what others think as well.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should have a 90/90 intake combo with that setup else you will be strangling it.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
You did ONE pull on the dyno?

That would have been good information to have when we spoke on the phone....LOL

First off the A/F ratio is slightly too rich for big numbers (from what I saw on the scanned sheet you provided), and I would also like to know what the timing was set at....was there any knock retard pulling any timing during the run (you should always log and keep an eye on the KR events).

Plus if the car sat for a little bit before the N/A run (the time it takes to strap it down and get things ready), your driveline would have been cold reducing power to the ground (thats a fact btw).

Alot more going on here than meets the eye....and thats why the car feels alot stronger although spending some additional time on the tune would probably unlock even more.

Keep us posted...

Tony
They did one N/A pull and one Nitrous pull. Thats why I was agreeing with you when you said just not enough time was spent but I didnt realize I didnt tell you that.

If I knew more about tuning I could tell you what the timing was set at and the KR and such. I know It will be best if I ask LG about logging the data but does anyonw know if they usually save the data where I could just contact them and ask?

Yes it did sit a little while during the injector swap and strap down.....maybe an hour??
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm on the same boat.

Added AFR 205s milled to 62cc, LT & ORY, LS6 intake with ported TB and only picked up like 25rwhp...
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Thats crazy....

I do want eveyone to know that I am not blaming the AFR product. I know it has to be a tuning or off dyno situation.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats crazy....

I do want eveyone to know that I am not blaming the AFR product. I know it has to be a tuning or off dyno situation.
I don't know what my problem is, but I'm changing out my cam to a G5X3 and see where i end up after that.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What is your valve train setup? Did you check the wipe pattern on the rockers? I know at one time you were asking about fly cutting, did you end up fly cutting the pistons, if so by how much?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

I'm running stock rockers, patriot gold springs, comp pushrods, and no I didn't flycut because I used the stock GM MLS gasket.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I keep reading these replys and its fiarly obvious. 2 things are happening here.

1. the intake is used up in this particular tunning range
2. AFR heads while good are not really that much better then stock heads with the intake bolted on.
3. Valve train setup would be a concern if the car had a screwy looking power band.

Folks move along here. 25hp to the tire is like 50 at the flywheel. That would be the best pickup I have seen ever.

AFR makes a good product. Between the cam timming and the intake manifold and I am sure a totally stuffy exhuast this is to be expected.

My advice is to stick with the dyno you did your last pulls on make some exhuast changes and tell yhe interexperts here to STFU. There is nothing wrong with your heads. AFR make a good set of heads. I may not like there product and I do not endorse it I do not find fualt with AFR.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPH
maybe a patriot head, but not an afr I wouldn't think.

i gained 33rwhp/24rwtq w/my patriot 59cc Stage II Ls6 'Style' heads. add a FAST 90, LT's/TD's and a LITTLE 224 and im putting down 437/404...what now...?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Pushrod length?

I gained 45rwhp & 30something rwtq with my AFR 205's milled .030 (61cc?)
Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1curious
I keep reading these replys and its fiarly obvious. 2 things are happening here.

2. AFR heads while good are not really that much better then stock heads with the intake bolted on.
3. Valve train setup would be a concern if the car had a screwy looking power band.

Folks move along here. 25hp to the tire is like 50 at the flywheel. That would be the best pickup I have seen ever.

AFR makes a good product. Between the cam timming and the intake manifold and I am sure a totally stuffy exhuast this is to be expected.

My advice is to stick with the dyno you did your last pulls on make some exhuast changes and tell yhe interexperts here to STFU. There is nothing wrong with your heads. AFR make a good set of heads. I may not like there product and I do not endorse it I do not find fualt with AFR.
I dont know where you have been but stock LS1 heads are nowhere near what AFR's are. Try a search and you will find way better results than what I have achieved. Also, I never blamed AFR for anything. If I am blaming anyone, its either the weather station or the tuner......
Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting on my AFR's to come in... they are gonna be going on an LQ4 with a 224 cam... I'm expecting to have around 400-430rwhp after all is said and done...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Wink

Pure genious...
AFR's not much better than stockers?
Sure, port some 853's,241's or even 243's... MUCH better than the AFR's,
02black beauty.. WTF were you thinking!

Originally Posted by LS1curious

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

I sure wish someone would have told me my 241 heads were better than AFR's before I bought them...... haha that's gotta be one of the most redivilous things I have ever read. Pewter, I dont know what the hell I was thinking....

Quick Reply: 19 RWHP from AFR 205 59cc?? Are you kidding me?