Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19 RWHP from AFR 205 59cc?? Are you kidding me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I blame the tuner...1 pull on the dyno leaves no room for correction. Sure you get an idea of what the car makes, but how do you know that it improved at all from the tuning if they only did one run? Get a real tune, i bet it makes at least another 10-15whp
Old 01-26-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lets be blunt. The accuracy between any 2 dynojets is iffy. Move them hundreds of miles apart and changes in altitude etc will exgerate any problem. Sure the AFR heads are a good piece. The issue still remains that you have an intake " I assume LS6" with a 280cfm limit and even when the heads get really good your still only going to get 280cfm.

I also told you to check your exhuast. You just put a good flowing head on a camshaft that has some overlap. If you have a stuffy exhuast system its going to kill power.

You could do 50 dyno pulls and most likely get the same result. Even if the tune was 5 degree shy on timming and it was way fat on AFR your not going to find a magical 50hp.

If you check the exhuast system with a backpressure gauge I bet you'll find some HP.

I get really tiring to read tons of threads. Why didn;t I make 500hp etc etc etc. Truth is most of those really high output cars have electric waterpump, underdrive pulleys,killer exhuast system and camshafts optimized for a very narrow power band.

If you would stop looking at your peak HP number and look at the whole Curve you would see that you actually picked up a ton of average HP and TQ well below peak.

Second your camshaft is in way to early to really carry RPM out to the point where your going to pick up a ton of hp.

Also as you increase head flow you start to move the tunning band of the intake down the rpm band.

What you have is a very good running engine with a nice broad power curve and most likely some exhuast deficiencys.

Fix the exhuast maybe toy with the intake centerline. You could find 20hp if you play your cards right.

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
I dont know where you have been but stock LS1 heads are nowhere near what AFR's are. Try a search and you will find way better results than what I have achieved. Also, I never blamed AFR for anything. If I am blaming anyone, its either the weather station or the tuner......
Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
You did ONE pull on the dyno?

Alot more going on here than meets the eye....and thats why the car feels alot stronger although spending some additional time on the tune would probably unlock even more.

Keep us posted...

Tony
I agree, Ive never heard of a tuner do one pull and your out the door..thats retarded!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey LS1curious,do us all a favor and stop posting.You dont think 5 degrees of timing and and a rich A/F can make much difference?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also didnt realize that his former baseline run the comparison numbers were obtained from was on a different dyno??

Not sure if thats accurate or not but if so this thread has really gone down hill...LOL

Consider this....I dyno'ed my 383 last weekend and with a tune I have already spent considerable time optimizing on previous dyno sessions, my first run of the day was 529 HP / 483 TQ. Part of the lower numbers was in fact due to a driveline that had cooled off and wasnt up to temp yet by the time the car was hooked up and ready for its first run (exactly the same conditions of this test or worse because parts were swapped and the car was getting installed properly on the dyno)

A dozen or so dyno pulls later I rolled out with a hanful of 545/497 runs and a best run of 547/500....thats 18 more ponies and 17 more foot/pounds than my baseline run and trust me when I tell you my baseline run was alot closer to optimal that it appears black beauty's was looking over that A/F ratio on the former page (and how close was his timing??). Like I said, my baseline was a proven tune I had beat to death for hours in a previous dyno session on the same dyno at the same elevation etc. If I showed you the before and after fuel curves they are not that different....and it seemed to like one degree more timing with the new A/F ratio which was worth an additional 2-3 HP.

Anyway....if the results werent on the same exact dyno all of this is bullshit anyway, but still certainly some good info for those of you that have been in similar situations who may not have been happy or questioned their results....

Without the right tune the best parts in the world wont do squat for you....dont skimp when it comes to tuning....pay more to have the tuner spend the time he needs. If the tuner is truly capable and being compensated for his time it will usually be money very well spent. Even if you threw the guy an extra $200 to spend a few more hours....if it picks you up even 5 HP it was worth it (only $40 per pony)....if it picks you up twice that it was the cheapest "mod" you ever purchased. Its not unlike paying for another bolt on to find you the last 5 or 10....

Tony M.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Tony, All of my pulls have been on the exact same dyno in almost the same weather. Im not sure where the poster above got that I used a different dyno on my other baseline pulls.

I agree with what you say, good parts dont mean **** if its not tuned right. I may drive down south (futral motorsports or Thunder Racing) next time and let them do it the way it should be
Old 01-27-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AaronR
Hey LS1curious,do us all a favor and stop posting.You dont think 5 degrees of timing and and a rich A/F can make much difference?

Thank you, I was about to say the same thing
Old 01-27-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tony, All of my pulls have been on the exact same dyno in almost the same weather. Im not sure where the poster above got that I used a different dyno on my other baseline pulls.

I agree with what you say, good parts dont mean **** if its not tuned right. I may drive down south (futral motorsports or Thunder Racing) next time and let them do it the way it should be
I think it might be worth it just for verification. If the weather inputs were not correct then the whole curve could be skewed and you are worrying about something that isn't there to start with. It would also be a good opportunity to sanity check the tune.

Last edited by vettenuts; 01-27-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I think it might be worth it just for verification. If the weather inputs were not correct then the whole curve you be skewed and you are worrying about something that isn't there to start with. It would also be a good opportunity to sanity check the tune.
I agree, It will have to wait until the summer, or at least spring break
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Having actually played with ttoal timing on LS1 engines for Alot of nitrous It is readily obivious to anyone in the know that round about 5 degerees of timming is where you start to see dimishing losses.

Actually Rich AF's hardly ever bother power . If your in the 11.8-12.8 zone you won't get much. If your 13.5 yeah it could play a role and going to AF's as fat as 10.9 or richer will start to hamper power. But not by huge amounts.

But the e-experts will tell you otherwise.

Originally Posted by AaronR
Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone tells you the truth about something and you believe the hypemasters. ROFLMAO

Thank you, I was about to say the same thing
Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was over all talking about the spread between dynos. Guys in California comparing results to guys in colorado etc etc etc. I do not think his tune is really going to change squat. He might find maye 4-10 hp depending on how bad it is but even if its totally hosed I don;t expect much. I'd bet alot of your HP gains were due to the bearings on the roller warming up.

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I also didnt realize that his former baseline run the comparison numbers were obtained from was on a different dyno??

Not sure if thats accurate or not but if so this thread has really gone down hill...LOL

Consider this....I dyno'ed my 383 last weekend and with a tune I have already spent considerable time optimizing on previous dyno sessions, my first run of the day was 529 HP / 483 TQ. Part of the lower numbers was in fact due to a driveline that had cooled off and wasnt up to temp yet by the time the car was hooked up and ready for its first run (exactly the same conditions of this test or worse because parts were swapped and the car was getting installed properly on the dyno)

A dozen or so dyno pulls later I rolled out with a hanful of 545/497 runs and a best run of 547/500....thats 18 more ponies and 17 more foot/pounds than my baseline run and trust me when I tell you my baseline run was alot closer to optimal that it appears black beauty's was looking over that A/F ratio on the former page (and how close was his timing??). Like I said, my baseline was a proven tune I had beat to death for hours in a previous dyno session on the same dyno at the same elevation etc. If I showed you the before and after fuel curves they are not that different....and it seemed to like one degree more timing with the new A/F ratio which was worth an additional 2-3 HP.

Anyway....if the results werent on the same exact dyno all of this is bullshit anyway, but still certainly some good info for those of you that have been in similar situations who may not have been happy or questioned their results....

Without the right tune the best parts in the world wont do squat for you....dont skimp when it comes to tuning....pay more to have the tuner spend the time he needs. If the tuner is truly capable and being compensated for his time it will usually be money very well spent. Even if you threw the guy an extra $200 to spend a few more hours....if it picks you up even 5 HP it was worth it (only $40 per pony)....if it picks you up twice that it was the cheapest "mod" you ever purchased. Its not unlike paying for another bolt on to find you the last 5 or 10....

Tony M.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1curious
Someone tells you the truth about something and you believe the hypemasters. ROFLMAO

Im not saying your completly full of ****, all im saying is that while it may have some breathing issues, that is not all that is going on here. There is no ******* way the tuner got the most he could out of it with one pull.

Now add better intake and get rid of the cats and that frees up more HP. Im saying with what I have, that is not its potential.....Period !!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have Cats with that camshaft ? did they catch fire ? Hell i would bet they are so hot they are almost swelling shut.

Im not saying your completly full of ****, all im saying is that while it may have some breathing issues, that is not all that is going on here. There is no ******* way the tuner got the most he could out of it with one pull.

Now add better intake and get rid of the cats and that frees up more HP. Im saying with what I have, that is not its potential.....Period !!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I know LG does a lot of these installs, my gut is telling me they used a canned setup for the PCM and ran the dyno for a quick check.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1curious
You have Cats with that camshaft ? did they catch fire ? Hell i would bet they are so hot they are almost swelling shut.
Yeah I am running the hi flow cats LG sells with their headers systems. I dont think its all that uncommon to run cats with this cam.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I know LG does a lot of these installs, my gut is telling me they used a canned setup for the PCM and ran the dyno for a quick check.

Exactly, I think thats exactly what they did.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Launching!

u should be seeing numbers in the 400 range with those heads bad tune or sumthing
Old 08-17-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you found out the problem?
thanx Tony Mamo and ls1curious for interesting read
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vetal
Have you found out the problem?
thanx Tony Mamo and ls1curious for interesting read
I guess not?

Quick Reply: 19 RWHP from AFR 205 59cc?? Are you kidding me?