Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil to use wiht LS1 75,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of newer builds, especially built motors, are having the Shell Rotella 15W-40 dyno oil spec'ed for the first couple of thousand miles lately.

The reason it's a good oil for break-in is it has lots of ZDDP, an extreme pressure additive that was formulated for flat tappet cams and lifters but is also good for rollers on cams that have high pressure springs installed for agressive valvetrains. It also is a high detergent oil and will keep a lot of the combustion by-products resulting from loose and as yet unseated rings suspended until they can be removed by the filter.

ZDDP has been added as an extreme pressure additive for many years but has come under scrutiny by the EPA recently because it tends to clog cats after some time. The new EPA standards for catalytic convertors call for them to be functional for at least 150,000 miles.

All the oil now being sold for general street engine use has had most if not all of the ZDDP removed to comply with the new EPA standards.

I just sent an email to Shell regarding the removal of ZDDP from the Rotella product and the answer was. They used to have 1400ppm ZDDP in and with the new standard have removed some to comply but the content currently is 1200ppm.

This has been a 'hot topic' on a few threads posted here in the recent past and something to consider regarding oil use in cars with high pressure springs in the future.

Apparently the EPA is more concerned about your cats than your engine.
Also, this is a sneaky way for them to 'phase out' all those non-pollution controlled flat-tappet motors. Run an oil change of ZDDP free oil for 1000 miles and you will have no more lobes on your cam.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal purple here with 125,000miles got it from oil pan to rearend
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ta_06374
Dont put that thick of oil in cars, your doing more harm than good. Moble 1 10/30 or 10/40 synthetic would be your best bet. My car has 100k on it.
Is there any explanation to this?? I will just like to be informed about this. Aren't high mileage motors suppose to run a thicker oil??? I mean that has always been mine understanding.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Default oils and viscosity

Guys have a look on ls1.com and do a search on mainlube. You will find some interesting information regarding oils to use in these engines. Alot of guys is oz are running castrol edge 10w-60w oil with alot of success and most report a reduction in valve train noise.
Also with the camshaft guys that have noise I have also been advsed that the 7.425 push rods may help b pushing the lifter down a tad further.
Cheers

JB
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

I just started using the Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend 10w40 and am anxious to see how well this oil holds up. If you have any small oil leaks, I highly recommend this oil. I was having some leaking issues with full synthetics but since using this oil the leaks have stopped completely. Over at BITOG.com, this oil has some of the best cleaning agents and seal conditioners available and has held up extremely well. The OA's have shown some phenomenally low engine wear with this oil. It is very inexpensive and is around $14 for a 5 qt. jug at Walmart.

Quick Reply: What oil to use wiht LS1 75,000