Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the big tradtional split and not reverse split cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Why all the big tradtional split and not reverse split cams?

I am not keeping the stock manifolds and cats, but I do run the cats on my FLP's though the Hooker catback, and am thinking that a traditional cam would be a better choice when I do heads later this year. The TR220 was fine for a daily driver, but now that it's not a daily driver, I want more power!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:12 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HP is a function of Torque. HP measures the speed of acceleration (how fast the work is being done) while torque measure the actual work being done. Look at something that accelrates slow like a diesel making 230 HP and 800lbft of tq.

Build a motor for torque and HP will take care of itself.

On the reverse split side. Yes, the factory intake is the bottle neck. All that is about to change. One of the things about reverse splits is it helped drivability, and kept you from having so much programming to do. With the proliferation of LS1edit folks are getting more radical on their selections.

I think you can make power with a reverse split, I think torque suffers as a result. I think drivability and street manners goes up. I think one of the issues is that folks sometimes go too far on the reverse splits also.

Again, as soon as the intake catch up look for more symetical cams, and teh big standard splits to keep moving ahead...
Old 07-10-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TQ is a measure of force, NOT work. HP is a measure of work. The diesel in your example made 230 HP. The HP is the measure of work.

"Woah...I just had a flashback! The Colonel involved in a discussion on TQ vs HP!?!?! We just need ChrisB and a few others and this thread could get to be 5 pages"

LOL! I think I saved alot of my commments there in case I ever got into it again. Maybe this one won't go that far.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the factory intake is the bottle neck. All that is about to change.
Are you speaking of the GM intake on the LS2 or one of the aftermarkets like Futural?

later,
Bart
Old 07-10-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

HP is a function of Torque. HP measures the speed of acceleration (how fast the work is being done) while torque measure the actual work being done. Look at something that accelrates slow like a diesel making 230 HP and 800lbft of tq.

Wrong, the reason why that diesel accelerates slowly is its mass (a=F/m). Horsepower does not directly relate to acceleration, rather it is more of a good measure for acceleration potential. A car will accelerate fastest at the tq peak, but a car that makes the same tq at a higher rpm will be able to take advantage of gearing to increase the effective tq applied to the wheels and thus accelerate faster.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Wrong, the reason why that diesel accelerates slowly is its mass (a=F/m). Horsepower does not directly relate to acceleration, rather it is more of a good measure for acceleration potential. A car will accelerate fastest at the tq peak, but a car that makes the same tq at a higher rpm will be able to take advantage of gearing to increase the effective tq applied to the wheels and thus accelerate faster.
A car that makes "the same torque at a higher rpm" simply makes more horsepower...
Old 07-10-2003, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

On the reverse split side. Yes, the factory intake is the bottle neck. All that is about to change. One of the things about reverse splits is it helped drivability, and kept you from having so much programming to do. With the proliferation of LS1edit folks are getting more radical on their selections.

I think you can make power with a reverse split, I think torque suffers as a result. I think drivability and street manners goes up. I think one of the issues is that folks sometimes go too far on the reverse splits also.

Again, as soon as the intake catch up look for more symetical cams, and teh big standard splits to keep moving ahead...
J-Rod,

One our primary reasons for doing a reverse split was not only to make up for the intake but also to allow the running of open headers in the configuration that most of the f-bodies are doing (Grot style long tube). If you run a standard split with these style headers open it will murder low end torque. I have proof on an engine dyno to this affect. With the reverse split we can maintain healthy lowend torque without losing topend with open headers. I will guarantee that with open exhaust (with Grot style headers) on an LS1/LS6 engine with presently available intakes a properly executed reverse split will absolutely have more area 'under the curve' than any standard split cam.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I disagree. Horsepower(Rear wheel) is a measure of acceleration, torque is a measure of potential. A car that makes "the same torque at a higher rpm" simply makes more horsepower...

That's nice, but instantaneous acceleration is directly related to applied tq and the effective gearing ratio; that is to say it is not rpm-dependant and thus instantaneous acceleration has nothing directly to do with horsepower (thus my acceleration potential comment). So no, horsepower is not a measure of acceleration but more of a measure of ability to do work at a certain rate which plays directly into overcoming drag etc.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I still think horsepower and acceleration are directly related. Without RPM * torque you have no acceleration. I'm done.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

J-Rod,

One our primary reasons for doing a reverse split was not only to make up for the intake but also to allow the running of open headers in the configuration that most of the f-bodies are doing (Grot style long tube). If you run a standard split with these style headers open it will murder low end torque. I have proof on an engine dyno to this affect. With the reverse split we can maintain healthy lowend torque without losing topend with open headers. I will guarantee that with open exhaust (with Grot style headers) on an LS1/LS6 engine with presently available intakes a properly executed reverse split will absolutely have more area 'under the curve' than any standard split cam.
Are you saying you should only run a reverse split if you are running open headers?
Old 07-11-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still think horsepower and acceleration are directly related. Without RPM * torque you have no acceleration. I'm done.
Like I said before, acceleration is force over mass. Tq is a twisting force, horespower is simply not.

Quick Reply: Why all the big tradtional split and not reverse split cams?