Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp 230/230/112 and G5X2 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Comp 230/230/112 and G5X2 Comparison

ScreaminSS01: did I miss something here? You seem to have a grudge against LG or their products for some reason. I've read this thread a couple times and you seem to be the only one with something negative to say. I fail to see how you can say your car isn't a full bolt on car, the only thing it looks like you're missing is a lid???
Lid is first on the list. A better TB would gain more power I also do not have a pulley or FTRA.People are on this LG kick and I am just saying people are making the same power,same drivability with LS1 heads.

It's cool, I'm just screwing with you. The reason I asked is because whenever LG brings something to the market, it seems like everyone flames them. Also, the other trend I noticed is that all the people who offer their input don't even have the parts being discussed. Your car sounds nuts with LS1 heads so you get props.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Teching In

I dont have pullys, or ported TB... I think for not a full bolt on ls1, with stock heads...to put down 400 rwhp is pretty good..I also think that with the pullys and TB I would be up to 415-420 WITHOUT heads. To me its not an issue or drivability, like screaminss stated both have the same drivability...
Old 07-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Teching In

It's cool, I'm just screwing with you. The reason I asked is because whenever LG brings something to the market, it seems like everyone flames them. Also, the other trend I noticed is that all the people who offer their input don't even have the parts being discussed. Your car sounds nuts with LS1 heads so you get props.

[/quote]

Agreed.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

As for the drivability of the G5X2 on stock programming... if you like surging, hunting for idle, bad hot starts, I guess it is fine.
Drive many, do you?
I've ridden in yours and that's all I need. From the bucking/surging, dieing, hunting for idle, I really don't need to drive it to form an opinion.

I said "on stock programming". A cam that big will do that on stock programming. I still think that you need real tuning as well. Someone who knows what they are doing and has tuned these cams before.

I think that a G5X2 is a rediculous cam for a daily driver and just so you don't get upset (again) I mean all G5X2's that haven't been properly tuned.

Seems kinda funny you get so defensive.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry MOBE YOU ARE CORRECT...I misread.
whoever I just quoted YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS WRONG!

Sorry MOBE.
LOL... sorry dude, I've ridden in a car numerous times that has a G5X2 and it was exactly as I described it. Trying to turn around in a cul-de-sac and it felt like I was riding on a bucking bronco.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Teching In

You must not be a good driver...was the car tuned?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Teching In

nevermind, You said stock programming...You cant judge a untuned G5X2 car and compare it to a tuned one...its completely different. I agree it is crazy before tuning, but I wouldnt go as far as bucking bronco.. If you drove my car you would change your mind.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[/quote]
It's cool, I'm just screwing with you. The reason I asked is because whenever LG brings something to the market, it seems like everyone flames them. Also, the other trend I noticed is that all the people who offer their input don't even have the parts being discussed. Your car sounds nuts with LS1 heads so you get props. [/quote]

I would like to see use the 230/230 cam with one of his LS1 head cars or even LS6. That would be interesting
Old 07-11-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

From the bucking/surging, dieing, hunting for idle, I really don't need to drive it to form an opinion.
So your entire opinion was based on 1 time it stalled w/ the a/c on and it bucking under 1500 rpm. The only time it ever hunted for idle were on hot starts, and even then it searched for what, 2 seconds.

I said "on stock programming". A cam that big will do that on stock programming. I still think that you need real tuning as well. Someone who knows what they are doing and has tuned these cams before.
And I said, that for being a cam of that size, the stock program wasn't that bad. Most cams that big would not respond as well "on stock programing". Re-read that post. The whole point was about the ICL #. I agree 100% that it needs tuning. I never said otherwise.

I think that a G5X2 is a rediculous cam for a daily driver and just so you don't get upset (again) I mean all G5X2's that haven't been properly tuned.
Who cares if YOU think they are a ridiculous cam for a daily driver? Thank you for your opinion. Please drive thru.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Teching In

once the cam is tuned its crazy how friendly it is to drive.
have you gotten it tuned yet?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

I've had some tuning, but it has not been dyno tuned.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Its well worth it. I loved the cam untuned...but with tuning its a whole new beast.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

No doubt. I've got all the essentials done as far as tuning. I just need to refine it on the dyno.

btw... Sorry for my part in hi-jacking this thread, folks.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

minivette- so, let me get this straight... any cam that hunts/surges while the PCM is still stock is ridiculous for a daily driver??

What about the significant number of us that want the best possible performance and behavior out of our cars and are willing to pony up for an LS1edit dyno tune??

Assuming that it is properly tuned, would you still find the G5X2 to be a poor choice for a daily driver cam?? Because I have to tell you... I have driven/ridden in several G5X2 cars that have been tuned at LG (by Godspeed), and the issues that you're describing have all vanished unless you REALLY bog the motor down (i.e., try to let it idle in gear in an M6); in other words, the kind of situations that would cause even a stock cammed car to buck.

Don't get me wrong, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I just don't think that you've given the cam's behavior a fair assessment until you have driven or ridden in a car that has been properly tuned.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Teching In

I agree with everything you just states BurnOut.
No problem about the hi-jacking.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

So your entire opinion was based on 1 time it stalled w/ the a/c on and it bucking under 1500 rpm. The only time it ever hunted for idle were on hot starts, and even then it searched for what, 2 seconds.
No, my entire opinion was based on the overall drivability I have observed while riding in your car. INCLUDING what I mentioned previously.

And I said, that for being a cam of that size, the stock program wasn't that bad. Most cams that big would not respond as well "on stock programing". Re-read that post. The whole point was about the ICL #. I agree 100% that it needs tuning. I never said otherwise.
Stock programming on a cam that size does not work well at all. Hence the hunting for idle on hot starts, bucking, surging etc. Didn't you yourself say it didn't like hot starts?

Who cares if YOU think they are a ridiculous cam for a daily driver? Thank you for your opinion. Please drive thru.
I WILL give my opinion for the people out there who may want to get this cam and think they can run on stock programming.

I'm not a sackrider like some people.

Quit being so defensive. I never specifically mentioned you or your car before you blasted me in this thread. I was merely giving my opinion. Grow up.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

minivette- so, let me get this straight... any cam that hunts/surges while the PCM is still stock is ridiculous for a daily driver??

What about the significant number of us that want the best possible performance and behavior out of our cars and are willing to pony up for an LS1edit dyno tune??

Assuming that it is properly tuned, would you still find the G5X2 to be a poor choice for a daily driver cam?? Because I have to tell you... I have driven/ridden in several G5X2 cars that have been tuned at LG (by Godspeed), and the issues that you're describing have all vanished unless you REALLY bog the motor down (i.e., try to let it idle in gear in an M6); in other words, the kind of situations that would cause even a stock cammed car to buck.

Don't get me wrong, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I just don't think that you've given the cam's behavior a fair assessment until you have driven or ridden in a car that has been properly tuned.
EXACTLY, I totally agree. How many times have I said I was referring to STOCK PROGRAMMING!!!! I do not think that this cam is a good cam at all if you want to run it on STOCK PROGRAMMING! That's what I was giving my opinion on.

I can't comment on a G5X2 that has been tuned because I have not ridden in a car, nor even observed a car that had that done.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Well regardless on what you meant to convey to onlookers, you came off as bashing the G5X-2 and its drivability. I agree it needs to be tuned, but its not hhorrible to drive without it. It took about 500 miles for my computer on stock programming to learn some of the stuff that was going on...I did nothave problems with hot starts, huntint or idle took less than a minute, and the surging was horrible above 1500..
Old 07-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Teching In

surging was NOT horrible...god I cant type for crap.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well regardless on what you meant to convey to onlookers, you came off as bashing the G5X-2 and its drivability. I agree it needs to be tuned, but its not hhorrible to drive without it. It took about 500 miles for my computer on stock programming to learn some of the stuff that was going on...I did nothave problems with hot starts, huntint or idle took less than a minute, and the surging was horrible above 1500..
I don't see how I was bashing it. Here is my first post. I clearly state "stock programming"

I think this is as close as you can get without using the same car to test the results from these two cams. It is also a good comparison for someone who wants the most out of a cam with no intention of getting heads in the future. Nearly 400 rwhp on stock heads is amazing. I agree with the above posts in that the G5X2 will probably see better numbers with ported heads (that match the cam) than the 230/230 would.
As for the drivability of the G5X2 on stock programming... if you like surging, hunting for idle, bad hot starts, I guess it is fine.
It wasn't me who jumped to conclusions about what I said. As a matter of fact, I think I have referred to "stock programming" in almost every single post in this thread. Some of you need one of those "Jump to Conclusions" mats from Office Space. jeez...

Quick Reply: Comp 230/230/112 and G5X2 Comparison