Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner bent valves, now what????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner bent valves, now what????

Hey guys, I had a big name tuner do a camswap on my f-body. i just had boltons so the motor was stock when i brought it to them. i choose a farily large cam, but nothing unheard of. they installed it but apparently chose the wrong valvesprings (too weak) it was then put on the dyno and they floated the valves. I must have the worst luck in the world because i had a similar valve problem on my old 98, but we did all the work in my garage so it was our own fault. Thats the main reason why i let a shop do the work this time on my new car! i saw some of the valves and they were blatantly bent several degrees. so obviously the pistons have been scored too, right?
what all should the tuner replace/repair to make this bad situation acceptable?

thanks
Old 07-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Banned

Default Re: Tuner bent valves, now what????

The tuner will need to fully take care of this...

you need to see if the pistons are scar'd, if there are any marks on the cylinder walls or pistons i would demand a new shortblock or replacment pistons...you dont want a damaged piston that acts fine for a few miles then breaks on you.

The head needs to be fully fixed and all parts/labor paid for. If they do not, make a phone call to the BAR immediatly and explain the situation. the bar is very fair to consumers and buisnesses both and they will handle it. but you are liable for ZERO of the damage.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pistons are have only minor ding, They could fly cut your pistons for you. Then you could run a big cam later on.

This isn't totally uncommon and rarely do the pistons need replacing, no less another shortblock.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I highly doubt the dings are minor after seeing the torn up valves. but I really dont care how big the dings are. if any piston is even slightly scarred they will need to be replaced. As my screen name hints, I like to spray my vehicles and nitrous + dinged pistons wouldnt exactly make me feel "confident" in my motor's durability, to say the least...

going to try and get by there monday and see what the deal is
Old 07-13-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

sorry to hear, hopefully they get you fixed up. keep us posted on how it goes
Old 07-13-2003, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to know what combo they installed? Cam spec?springs used? Then I'll tell you what I think

Also was this a sponsor of this site that knows these cars?(don't need to name them,just yes or no)
Old 07-13-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your mind is already made up as to what you want as opposed to what you may need.

BTW, if you spray that much, you might as well use this opportunity to take the thing apart and build a built motor with boost piston, stronger rod bolts, etc.

Old 07-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I would like to know what combo they installed? Cam spec?springs used? Then I'll tell you what I think

Also was this a sponsor of this site that knows these cars?(don't need to name them,just yes or no)
The cam is a reverse split. 230 on the intake and a little less on the exhaust. 114 lsa I believe. Dont know which springs they used except for single not double, will ask tomorrow.

yes, they are a sponsor here
Old 07-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Sounds like your mind is already made up as to what you want as opposed to what you may need.

BTW, if you spray that much, you might as well use this opportunity to take the thing apart and build a built motor with boost piston, stronger rod bolts, etc.

of course I know what I WANT to be put in. but I made this post to see what would be the right way for the tuner to handle this and to know what i should pay and what i shouldnt. and perhaps if anyone else has gone through something similar.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Teching In

it is my opionion that the shop should have checked piston to valve clearance since the cam is a bit on the large side, I think this might have been your problem and not valve float. did you insist on this cam?what I mean by this is did the shop try to talk you out of running this cam and you insisted on them putting it in?
Old 07-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Teching In

they offer the cam....so i chose it. they said it will be fine and they would pick the right components for the setup. but they didnt...
Old 07-14-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you dyno a car.....if any damage occurs, Isn't there some type of, "if it breaks on the dyno, we ain't responsible for it...." type of warning/liability waiver to cover the tuner/shop?

Mir Naziruddin
Old 07-14-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Hopefully your gonna get fixed up. I had a tuner tune my car with there cam and it didtn put down no where near what it should. They told me my heads where 2 big. MTI stage 2 heads and that i needed tr6 instead of Tr5s. Go figure. Drove 4 hrs home unloaded it and the mother ****** blew up after 5 min of driving. SO now im out of a Forged short block and a $2000 magic cam thats gonna cost me even more.

Good luck man i know how you fell. Im up ***** creak with out a pattle.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Teching In

wicked- that sucks bro. i hope my situation doesnt end up with me getting screwed.

When you dyno a car.....if any damage occurs, Isn't there some type of, "if it breaks on the dyno, we ain't responsible for it...." type of warning/liability waiver to cover the tuner/shop?

Mir Naziruddin

ha maybe, but wtf does that matter when they admitted the damage occured because of their wrong doing. if it didnt happen on the dyno, i would have pulled out of the shop, gone WOT, then it would have...
Old 07-14-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

make them pay for the damage and a new set of pistons, then you buy a set of rods and have them install it.

Quick Reply: Tuner bent valves, now what????