Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Budget shortblock

So I am planning on starting my next power goal. I would like the bottom end to be able to support about 750whp. So I was thinking I can reuse the stock crank as I've heard its pretty bulletproof and the budget thing. But I would like to increase displacement. What kind of all bore setups are out there? What rods out there will support this kind of power? I'm looking for low compression setups as I would like to throw about 15-20 lbs of boost at it.
I'm also looking to run 72cc heads from a 6.0l as well.
I'm open to any suggestions though.

Last edited by rocksws6; 02-13-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are you going to use your stock block or a iron block,
but I would just to a built 348ci if your going to use you stock 5.7L block
Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Yeah I was planning on using the stock block. I figured since I was replacing the pistons I would go ahead and have it resleeved and throw some bigger pistons in it. Seemed like a good idea anyhow. So you would stay with the stock displacement? What's your reasoning?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a ls2 block or a 6.0l block if your not that concern about weight and make a 370 ci. 6.0l is very strong (iron) ls2 is also very strong (alum) The good thing is you can get a 6.0l pullout for aruond 200 bucks a ls2 should comin in around 600 new.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Budget shortblock....what is your budget?

You can pick up a decent forged 347 shortblock from more than one sponsor for around $3000. I think that would be better suited for a N/A application.

For your power goals, which are similar to mine, you're probably better off spending a little more. Maybe go with the LS2 block, stock crank, some good boost pistons, ARP main studs, and still be right around $4000.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

408 bottom for 4000 dollars.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I would get a ls2 block or a 6.0l block if your not that concern about weight and make a 370 ci. 6.0l is very strong (iron) ls2 is also very strong (alum) The good thing is you can get a 6.0l pullout for aruond 200 bucks a ls2 should comin in around 600 new.
Where? Hell if I can find a LS2 block for 600 new then I will go that route I don't want to run an iron block though I know that for sure. If anything I want to start getting lighter, not heavier.
Originally Posted by ss1
Budget shortblock....what is your budget?

You can pick up a decent forged 347 shortblock from more than one sponsor for around $3000. I think that would be better suited for a N/A application.

For your power goals, which are similar to mine, you're probably better off spending a little more. Maybe go with the LS2 block, stock crank, some good boost pistons, ARP main studs, and still be right around $4000.
My budget is as little as I can get away with. I don't want to spend money on something I can reuse. That's why I was going to reuse the stock crank I have heard that they will hold close to 1k hp so there's no need for me to replace it. If I can get a good deal on a LS2 then I may go that route but I was just going to pull the motor out of mine and replace the rods and pistons and some ARP fasteners and call it a day. I was just wondering if there is a better way or get some ideas about parts. What kind of all bore kits are out there. What are the best rods? Stuff like that.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Actually new LS2 blocks are right around $1000.

I don't think you necessarily need the "best rods", but for decent budget rods you gould go with Scat or Eagle, or for a little more $ go with the Compstar (Callies) rods, or the K1 (Carillo) rods.

As for pistons, this is an often debated subject. I've always had great luck with Wiseco pistons. Others may recommend Diamond, Mahle, Lunati, J&E, others? I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above mentioned.

Not quite sure what you're asking about regarding "all bore" kits. Typically your off the shelf LS1 pistons are for 3.898, 3.903" or 3.905" bore, LS2's will be 4.000 or 4.005".
Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ You can have the block resleeved to run a 4.030 piston so it brings the displacement up to about 366ci I believe. I figured it would be pretty common seeing as how you can keep the stock crank. I don't think it would make that big of a difference but if you were doing a budget rebuild it sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. The stock crank is very tough, but running it at 750rwhp for any length of time...
I've had good luck (so far) with Eagle stuff for building on a budget. If you are going to run at that power-level, it may be more cost-effective to build it right (more $$) the first time versus fixing broken stuff (even more $$).
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

For the price, I wouldn't even consider resleeving an LS1 block for a budget rebuild, especially when you can get a new LS2 block for a grand.

Btw, 4.030" bore with a stock crank is 370ci.
Originally Posted by rocksws6
^ You can have the block resleeved to run a 4.030 piston so it brings the displacement up to about 366ci I believe. I figured it would be pretty common seeing as how you can keep the stock crank. I don't think it would make that big of a difference but if you were doing a budget rebuild it sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

The lq4/9 blocks are only $600 brand new. The iron 6.0
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

If your wanting a cheap budget just forget building your own shortblock. It'll always end up over the cost of buying a pre-built one from a sponsor. You can pick up a fully built 346 from TSP for a very reasonable price. If you do your own, your gonna have a good amount of machine work to pay for, parts & then no warranty on your fresh bottom end.

I had thought about doin this until I priced everything & I was also tryin to reuse everything I could to keep costs down. And I still ended up goin over my projected budget after adding in all parts & machine shop work.

Also some food for thought. My buddy & member on here ChevyChad is running a SDPC 346 shortblock w/about 20lbs boost making about 700RWHP with a Procharger set-up. He is very happy with the shortblock he purchased & also got a smokin deal on it. So you might contact Matt@SDPC.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
The lq4/9 blocks are only $600 brand new. The iron 6.0
He doesn't want to run an iron block. Look at post #7.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss1
For the price, I wouldn't even consider resleeving an LS1 block for a budget rebuild, especially when you can get a new LS2 block for a grand.

Btw, 4.030" bore with a stock crank is 370ci.
I thought it was something like that. Does the new LS2 block come prepped?
Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
If your wanting a cheap budget just forget building your own shortblock. It'll always end up over the cost of buying a pre-built one from a sponsor. You can pick up a fully built 346 from TSP for a very reasonable price. If you do your own, your gonna have a good amount of machine work to pay for, parts & then no warranty on your fresh bottom end.

I had thought about doin this until I priced everything & I was also tryin to reuse everything I could to keep costs down. And I still ended up goin over my projected budget after adding in all parts & machine shop work.

Also some food for thought. My buddy & member on here ChevyChad is running a SDPC 346 shortblock w/about 20lbs boost making about 700RWHP with a Procharger set-up. He is very happy with the shortblock he purchased & also got a smokin deal on it. So you might contact Matt@SDPC.
Thanks man I'll look into that too. I'm just trying to weigh out my options here. I figured keeping my block would be the cheaper way to go. That's pretty crazy that you can buy another one cheaper than you can machine yours.
BTW: I appreciate the info guys. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike!! I'm down the road now bro! I can still get a huge selection of parts at great pricing though! So the service I can give is the same, just at a different shop Thanks for the props!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

It's b/c machine shops will cost you damn near what it cost you for your new pistons & rods just in machine work. Especially if they balance it for you too. Plus if you get the prebuilt crate you could always have your current motor rebuilt over time just incase you need an extra down the road.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Mike!! I'm down the road now bro! I can still get a huge selection of parts at great pricing though! So the service I can give is the same, just at a different shop Thanks for the props!
Hey when did you run away & move on down there?? Guess all my motor parts will be comming from TSP now, LOL. Tell Jon's(Reynolds) *** I said whats up.

I'll definetly be getting with you guys when its shortblock time.