Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR still the best LSX head on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFR get's my vote, fit on vettes without modding, no need for rocker stands, no need for roller rockers, no need for longer pushrods, in-stock at most place so no long waits, rip open the package and bolt them on!

Plus they will have a new "235" head coming out soon.

Tony send out a set my way anytime bro!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Christ, I didnt know my question would cause this much hostility, I'm just going to go with edelbrock then... thanx guys
Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going with AFR but thats just me. It'll be awhile before I buy heads.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
The question should be "what have you built" and the answer will be "not a goddamn thing". When you just take your **** to ESP and have them hook you, then that makes them the builders. Maybe you should have them come in here and argue your point for you. Since they may have something better to offer other than just giving their opinion.

Jon

I can speak for ESP on this one, Et's heads DO make more power, the fastest nitrous lsx period ran ET heads, if it was possible to go faster with afr's, they would have been on the car. My car's been a test subject for this very topic and was the first motor that was built @ ESP with ET heads.

There's no changing your mind, you're obviously one of the AFR sackriders on here, so keep running the outdated heads, and cars with the better stuff will keep driving right around you.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does ETP or Trickflow make a head for a stock 346 shortblock? I know the AFR 205 is supposed to work well with a stock shortblock.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Race your car!

Of course they do, a phone call to a supplier of either will get you all the info you need.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx fellas
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Why do you think that is? Because a peak number on the dyno doesnt mean **** at the track.

**** man look at the facts of it all.
First of all have you ever dyno tested a car? You get a rolling start. It is not indicative of what the car does from a dead stop. ITs indicative of a roll race.
Why do you think stage 3 heads are reserved for all out track cars? Because all they care about is max power at the top. They are leaving the line at 4500-7000 rpms and so all that matters is the upper end to them. They hog out the runners and none of them will recommend you run it on a street car.
And honestly I say this without looking at the chart to see what's number one. Last time I looked Cartek had a bunch of top cars with their ported oem heads on them.
If you use terms like stage 3 to describe a cyl head port.... ah nevermind
Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Someone wants to send me a set of afr's I will have the motor out of the car this spring to freshen it up, I'd be more then willing to put a set of afr's on to prove the point, but I know noone's gonna send me a freebie set, especially when they have to go up against a set of ET 240's that have already proven what they can do.
You dont have to do that, we did that @ 2 years ago. AFR made little less ower than ET same port size.

Some of the arguements people have made in this thread are completely retarded.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question is just like the debate on headers. Buy one of the top namebrands and you will be happy. All of them will make you good power and you will not worry about getting a better set of heads. ETP, AFR, TFS will all make you big power long as your setup is done properly. Personally I went TFS and have been happy.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I can speak for ESP on this one, Et's heads DO make more power, the fastest nitrous lsx period ran ET heads, if it was possible to go faster with afr's, they would have been on the car. My car's been a test subject for this very topic and was the first motor that was built @ ESP with ET heads.

There's no changing your mind, you're obviously one of the AFR sackriders on here, so keep running the outdated heads, and cars with the better stuff will keep driving right around you.
I have AFRs but I'm not saying that ones better than the other. It depends on your setup. I have a 4000 lbs car with 346 cubes, so I went with the smallest port yet still excellent flowing head. In a light car with a big cam, the bigger ports and better flow may be what you need. That's what I'm saying. You're just a complete dumbass for trying to give one answer for a multi part question.

Your car was a test subject? All you did was ask the same questions as this guy here and probably got the same answers. When you learn something about a car then post up til then just keep your **** over at ESP.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
You dont have to do that, we did that @ 2 years ago. AFR made little less ower than ET same port size.

Some of the arguements people have made in this thread are completely retarded.
Thank you, finally someone with some sense. As for some of the arguments, not everyone has the experience that you and I have/have access to, and only know what they read on the internet... and for some reason, some people seem compelled to sackride on a guy's product that's way overpriced because they were dumb enough to let the guy suck them in.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you, finally someone with some sense. As for some of the arguments, not everyone has the experience that you and I have/have access to, and only know what they read on the internet... and for some reason, some people seem compelled to sackride on a guy's product that's way overpriced because they were dumb enough to let the guy suck them in.
OK, now you have experience. Whatever.

To the OP, get the ET heads, obviously they are the best of the best.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I have AFRs but I'm not saying that ones better than the other. It depends on your setup. I have a 4000 lbs car with 346 cubes, so I went with the smallest port yet still excellent flowing head. In a light car with a big cam, the bigger ports and better flow may be what you need. That's what I'm saying. You're just a complete dumbass for trying to give one answer for a multi part question.

Your car was a test subject? All you did was ask the same questions as this guy here and probably got the same answers. When you learn something about a car then post up til then just keep your **** over at ESP.
Listen sackrider, I've probably forgotten more about cars then you will ever learn/understand, and have probably done more work on my own car in the3 last 2 weeks then you've done to everything you've ever owned.

ESP wanted to test the heads, I said go for it, and the results speak for themselves. Only question I had for them was how much to write teh check for. They've used all the heads out there, and when it came time to put their own car together, ET got the call.

Go race your 4000 lb car and get back to us on what the little high velocity port gets you for a track time, that magic little high velocity port should easily propel your pig of a car to an amazing ET right? After you've run it and find out that's not the case, make sure to post back up about how great the drivability and throttle response is, because that's all you'll have left to spout off about.

Ask the racers what they've found, more and more of the fast cars out there are running something OTHER then an afr head for a reason.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Only question I had for them was how much to write teh check for.
That's your experience with cars right there. That's been my point all along.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Race your car!

go race your 12 second 4000 lb car, and I'll pay to have my engine work done and contniue to run mid 9's like clockwork. Who's the dummy?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy the AFR 205's for your 347 ... small runners = low end grunt and better ET times while still making good power pretty far up on the top end. PM PatrickG. He has done a lot of testing on AFR's. He ended up swapping from 205's to 225's and went back to the 205 Mongoose heads.

Don't worry 'bout ole Jon. He's likes ridin' dick.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

well thats just it, im not looking just for high end HP, from what I have read the ETP & Trickflow flow numbers suggest they flow higher but thats talking 215 and 225 11 degree heads. I was looking for an all around head for my stock bottom end. Big HP numbers at 7200 RPM's dont impress me, having low end torque and drivability is what I am after. All this bickering and at the end of the day I dont think there is much difference between the three AFR, ETP and Trickflow on a stock bottom end. I like the AFR's on my 572 and think i will just wind up buying a set for my street car. Thanx for all the advise
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
.....Don't worry 'bout ole Jon. He's likes ridin' dick.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving internal.

Quick Reply: AFR still the best LSX head on the market?