Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR still the best LSX head on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
And the AFR will a little work kicks all their asses. The AFR is a 205 and none of the other are. Why dont you look at who runs the fastest with a 346 ?

Dyno numbers dont mean **** when it come to track times. Do some real research and pull some real numbers to get the truth.

The ET's dn Trickflows have bigger runners.. whats does that do to your bottom end which then effects the top end.

IF you want to look at it that way then throw some 225's on there. They were made for ther same bore.

I havent seen one post by anyone on here with actually helpful information.
Speed inc says numbers wich infers dyno numbers...lets see track results. Who are the quickest N/A cars out there and what head do they run?

That is the way you determine which head is better. Then you set a budget and meet your budget.

Only one head has been consistently in the winners circle at the track that I've seen on here.
I obviously agree about AFR 205s superiority (check the sig), but what do you mean "a little work". These heads are money write out of the box. IMO, they are the best street heads on the market. They are torque heads. Smaller runners ext. = higher velocity at low RPMs. AFR is simply the only heads that have been proven time and time again to give consistent #s. I will post my numbers as soon as the car is dynoed. Either today or monday, but these heads are definately top of the line. That being said, i really don't think you can go wrong w/ the trick flows or the ETPs. All are great aftermarket castings.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your right, but if one wants to have Tony Mamo enhance them a little they are even that much better.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

Your right, but if one wants to have Tony Mamo enhance them a little they are even that much better.
I really don't know about that. MAMO IS THE MAN. He ported my IM. He designed my setup including my cam. I bought my Heads/Cam/Induction from the man. He said that aside from port matching the IM to the heads that he didn't recommend doing anything to the heads. We did go with the 62cc Combustion chamber to raise the CR, but other than that they are out of the box. I will send the heads back to him when i go to the 402 for a little bit of porting to accomdate the larger cubes, but for a 346 i don't believe he recommends any port work on the heads. Just my experiance, others may have had a different experiance.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I probably should have stated that I was considering heads for my stock lower end 346. I see ETP and Trick flow make 215 & 225 heads. ETP is 11 degree design, if I am correct. Since I will not be trying to scream my motor at high RPM's I dont think I want 11 degree heads. With stock cubes I can not see going larger than 205's. AFR is the only out of the box head I have ever used on the 572 in my bracket car with no machining and I am very happy with them so I am leaning towards the AFR 205 mongoose head and a cam for my 346
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Here is a wonderful discussion about many different components and what to consider including heads
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/732392-recipe-500-rwhp-heads-cam.html
Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

here is the list of the fastest stock cubed cars on here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/818893-all-time-fastest-n-stock-ci-h-c.html
as you can see most of them are running heavily ported factory castings. The problem with threads like this is that there is no true best head, it is all about the combination of parts used and what you are planning on using the car for. For an all out race car afr's are not gonna be the most powerful head but for a car that is a street/strip car they are an excellent choice
Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a couple of customers with the TFS 215's on stock shortblocks that run mid 10's on motor. I got a chance to look at a set of LS6 heads that ran 10.30's @ 132 mph on a stock shortblock and the intake port volume was 230+cc, I wouldn't call the performance of either of these heads "sluggish".
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
We have a couple of customers with the TFS 215's on stock shortblocks that run mid 10's on motor. I got a chance to look at a set of LS6 heads that ran 10.30's @ 132 mph on a stock shortblock and the intake port volume was 230+cc, I wouldn't call the performance of either of these heads "sluggish".
But the fact that you didn't say **** else about the car only leads people to believe that this post, like all your other posts, that what you say is only half of the story and a half-assed attempt to move TFS heads.

Just be a little more specific. First off you say 230+, so unless you just eyeballed it, what was the actual measurement? Was it 230.1 or 250? What was the car a 2500 lbs drag car w/ a huge cam, lots of gear, and big stall or a stock f-body? And you wouldn't call the performance sluggish, but what would you call the drivabilty.

Again, I'm not arguing with you or calling you a liar. And TFS heads may well be the best heads on the market. I just think that you're a salesman that tries to hard.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, when looking to get more power out of my 383, two local shops reccommended the AFRs. Neither of them is an AFR retailer, or on the payroll, but the arguments they made were very convincing. Both have had excellent results using AFRs vs. the other big names. I've always thought ETP/RHS were the best, but now I'm not so sure...
Old 02-17-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd love to find a post, artical or discussion some where that a stock short block was dynoed with different heads using the same cam with each set and seeing the dyno results amoung heads. I have tried a search but have not found anything definitive. Upon my search I did stumble across this artical which I found impressive http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html
Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the AFR 205s with the 347 you will be very happy
Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

AFR still makes a damn good head, there is no debating that, but with the available stuff from trickflow and ET, I think there are just better things available at this point.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Launching!

afr's are the best. out of the box they bolt on and give you performance. trickflows are nice but need after market rockers than more likely springs and are more expensive. etp and rhs prices are outrages! and why people would pay the money for this racing heads for a street car is stupid. afr's or patriot if on budget.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Race your car!

I beg to differ on that one, the ET's were 800 bucks more then a set of 225 afr's were gonna run me, not enough $ to be concerned with when I was already 10 grand deep in a motor build. Trickflow and et are putting quailty springs on that are fine for 99% of the people's uses out there, and you can run stock rockers on the ET head, I have been for a year and a half with no problems at all, wear pattern on everything is perfect, just has to be set up by someone with a clue.

Trickflow's prices aren't really much differnet then afr's, and an aftermarket set of rockers sure is some $, but sending your stockers out to get the bearings swapped over isn't free either.

As for actual performance, I am sure that taking the ET's off my car and putting a set of afr's on, would certainly not pick up any performance, I'm sure it would lose power before it would gain any.

Someone wants to send me a set of afr's I will have the motor out of the car this spring to freshen it up, I'd be more then willing to put a set of afr's on to prove the point, but I know noone's gonna send me a freebie set, especially when they have to go up against a set of ET 240's that have already proven what they can do.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
AFR still makes a damn good head, there is no debating that, but with the available stuff from trickflow and ET, I think there are just better things available at this point.
I beg to differ on that one, the ET's were 800 bucks more then a set of 225 afr's were gonna run me, not enough $ to be concerned with when I was already 10 grand deep in a motor build. Trickflow and et are putting quailty springs on that are fine for 99% of the people's uses out there, and you can run stock rockers on the ET head, I have been for a year and a half with no problems at all, wear pattern on everything is perfect, just has to be set up by someone with a clue.

Trickflow's prices aren't really much differnet then afr's, and an aftermarket set of rockers sure is some $, but sending your stockers out to get the bearings swapped over isn't free either.

As for actual performance, I am sure that taking the ET's off my car and putting a set of afr's on, would certainly not pick up any performance, I'm sure it would lose power before it would gain any.

Someone wants to send me a set of afr's I will have the motor out of the car this spring to freshen it up, I'd be more then willing to put a set of afr's on to prove the point, but I know noone's gonna send me a freebie set, especially when they have to go up against a set of ET 240's that have already proven what they can do.
You do a lot of "thinking", huh? You think this, you think that, but you know nothing.

All of the heads are different in some ways, each will have its pluses and minuses for each application. To try and even make the comparisons that you're making is stupid. If you're combo is designed around the ET 240s then yes it will be slower with AFRs. If it's just a generic off the shelf combo, well who knows. Some big TFS heads may blow them both away. There's no final answer on subjects like this, so why try?

Jon
Old 02-17-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

throwing in some love for Trick Flow
Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by colews6
afr's are the best. out of the box they bolt on and give you performance. trickflows are nice but need after market rockers than more likely springs and are more expensive. etp and rhs prices are outrages! and why people would pay the money for this racing heads for a street car is stupid. afr's or patriot if on budget.
umm last i checked et 215's were only a lil more then afr's. Afr's cost around $2200 while etps cost around $2400 so an extra $200 is nothing really. Also you can use the same springs for any of these heads so springs wont be more expensive. The problem with the et 215's is that most people that run them dont have the proper valve train geometry due to the 11 degree valve angle. You have to use the proper pushrod length and many people have trouble figuring out what that is with those heads
Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Isn't it really about the entire combination? An engine is pump, a system and in any system it isn't about what is best, it's about the efficeincy of the entire system. What works best in one combination, may not work best with another. One set of heads may be good in a certain combination, while another set of heads may be better with another combination.

The great thing about our hobby and this site is that we have a lot of choices and a lot of knowledgeable sponsors. Most of them have experience and opinions that can help us achieve the goals we want.

We have some very good head choices . Can I say there is a "best"...no. There are too many variables. What head works "best" with my 346cid, TR220 cam, SLP headers and 3:73 gears on the street will not be the "best" head with a 427cid, GX5, QTP headers and 4:56 geared quarter mile Vette. Too many variables too say best, just a lot of good choices...and opportunities for poor ones as well.

Good luck.

Last edited by equandt; 02-17-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: a little clean up
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You do a lot of "thinking", huh? You think this, you think that, but you know nothing.

All of the heads are different in some ways, each will have its pluses and minuses for each application. To try and even make the comparisons that you're making is stupid. If you're combo is designed around the ET 240s then yes it will be slower with AFRs. If it's just a generic off the shelf combo, well who knows. Some big TFS heads may blow them both away. There's no final answer on subjects like this, so why try?

Jon
I don't know anything huh, what the **** have you built that's fast?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know anything huh, what the **** have you built that's fast?
The question should be "what have you built" and the answer will be "not a goddamn thing". When you just take your **** to ESP and have them hook you, then that makes them the builders. Maybe you should have them come in here and argue your point for you. Since they may have something better to offer other than just giving their opinion.

Jon

Quick Reply: AFR still the best LSX head on the market?