Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure after overheat, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low oil pressure after overheat, thoughts?

Buddy brought me a car that has been sitting for a few years. Yes, years.
Started it up and it had great oil pressure but started overheating and when it did the pressure had dropped to about 18-20.
Flushed out alot of rust crap from the cooling system and swapped out a bad t stat. Over heating fixed.
Put new 20-50 oil in it and a new filter. Statred it up 0ilk pressure at about 55 at cold start up when it gets to normal operating temp 220 degrees (stock t stat and stock fan kick ons) the oil pressure sits at just under 20. play with the throttle and it doesn't really move at all. While driving it sits at about 30-35. Doesn't really go above that even when i get on it.
Buddy said pressure was fine before it started overheating on them. Kept overheating and so they just parked it for a few years.
There was no shavings in the old oil and it doesn't really flucuate at idle so i don't think its the bearings.
whats weird is while driving and i suddenly come to a stop the oil pressure doesn't drop right to 20 it drops like 5-10 at a time every few seconds untill it sits at about 18.
Attached Thumbnails Low oil pressure after overheat, thoughts?-0218081704.jpg   Low oil pressure after overheat, thoughts?-0218081705.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring back from teh dead but....

Just rebuilt mine and have the exact same thing happening. It's weird. Temp got to about 230 and I shut it off. Oil pressure just sat about 20. I have both the galley plugs in, checked the pickup tube, o-ring is good. Cleaned the screen, and oil pan during build.

Possibly the T-stat went bad sitting there for 5 months. Totally lost as to why it would overheat now.

I also need to get the codes read because it SEL blinks when I accelerate so I am assuming misfires from what i found when searching. I am due for new plug wires anyway.

ANY INPUT would be appreciated.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

i think it was a bad oil pump o ring. I think it got messed up when over heated.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well, got a new 160 tstat and new wires. It was running more smoothly today but it got hot again past 240, shut it off. What else could it be?

Radiator? Runs cool sometimes and then other times no. I am at a loss.

Water pump? How does that go bad if it is belt driven. Never seen the inside of one.

Oil pressure was ok. Stayed about 22 at idle and moved up to 40+ during acceleration.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBMWSsix
Well, got a new 160 tstat and new wires. It was running more smoothly today but it got hot again past 240, shut it off. What else could it be?

Radiator? Runs cool sometimes and then other times no. I am at a loss.

Water pump? How does that go bad if it is belt driven. Never seen the inside of one.

Oil pressure was ok. Stayed about 22 at idle and moved up to 40+ during acceleration.
exact mods and what did you change when it started doing it would help.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

just a cam. BUT i flushed it out with a hose and ran it for awhile and filled it all up again TADA!!! she's fine, oil pressure still a bit lower than what i am used to but I guess i can use a heavier weighted oil.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure after overheat, thoughts?