Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for 450Rhp from heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: looking for 450Rhp from heads and cam

I believe a properly set up car can do it, If you look at jprs sig, he has it set up right. ls6 block in a 2000 z28, im sure its a built short block but still stock cubes, if it was more than stock you will see it in the torque output, with a huge cam, stock rear with 342,s, yella terras, and electric water pump 444 capped and 456 uncaped is believable, theres another guy that dynoed 441, a4 full ex g5x2 that posted with a friend that just ports on the side, You would have to believe that JPR is better that a guy that does it on the side occasionally. a properly set up car with all the goodies will add up to 450hp
I do agree with track times with an auto, ther is no granny shifting or 2.0 60 ft,s with an auto so they should run well into the 10's but the car has to be set up for the track as well and a slipping trans is not well set up for the track, Ive been doing alot of research into heads and cam packages and seen alot of legit 430's 440's and low 450's. it can be done, It figures the guy that claims its bs sells heads that only average 20 hp gains. just becuase he cant do it doesnt mean it cant be done
Old 07-29-2003, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

J.S. you have some good points, but look at your sig your calling yourself a lier, you have 441 hp 3400 pound car, did a outstanding 1.47 60 ft and only did an 11.1 at 122 mph, If your somewhat saying you dont believe he made the power I dont believe you made yours. no offense to you and all but your putting your foot in your mouth.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:12 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Again your explanation about Brent is dumb,Bottom line Brents car would be making 425.5RWHP if it were in an auto +/- 5RW---->PERIOD!!!!

Now the setup has been on your car for a LONG while but u still havent made ANY hard runs in the car other than a 11.40@119?

I just dont undestand it?
I mean u have access to boots/skinnies and lets face it,your car weighs 3340lbs on STOCK WHEELS.If u add skinnies/slicks along with a few other lightening mods your car would be 3200lbs,U BETTER RUN 10's at that point and with that power over 124MPH...

Honestly I BELIEVE u are making the numbers.So dont get upset,everythings kewl.....

I'm not starting any crap other than to say u can run the car hard at ATCO for 2 runs before being thrown out.Just show up on boots/skinnies and make a hard run,you'll get the warning and then make one more pass and u know what will happen after that bro.

For god sakes u and I had it happen to us back 2yrs ago.So no excuses about not being able to make hard runs without a bar or belt because u and both know u can get away with it for 2 runs....

Just get the trans in the car,drop the sway bar,add the boots/skinnies and pull the seat.I wanna see what that red camaro can really lay down.

The funny thing is your taking it out of your car and putting it in a Vette.Again I dont understand the logic.
Here u have a 450RW setup and u wont run it hard or ***** to the wall?

Why?

Okay, I'll give you the Brent thing, but you gotta realize something here, We are swamped to the max with work right now, ask Tom or Fireball, they stopped by recently and Tom meet our new mechanic and just shook his head at all the work sitting on the floor in boxes, lately, I can't find the time to take a crap let alone start tearing into my daily driver again. I have a serious buyer in SC that wants my motor "as is" he owns a C5 and is paying me handsomley for the engine which it's worth, In replacement, I am dropping in a non forged fly cut 346ci which is ready to go right now with the same cam, but with better heads at the time of removal along with the new trans and vert at that time I guess, I will be on the dyno/track with that package late Aug with maybe more power. I only promised him 440 right off the bat because I know that what they can do in his car along with almost the exact parts I'm running. I hit on a luckey combo, plain and simple thats all.

Joe.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:07 AM
jfm
10 Second Club

Joe,with all due respect,I have to agree with JS,I have never seen a track run where you did not have some type of problem.LOL.I know damn well you can drive,saw first hand with Mikes car.

I hit the rev limit,spun,bad trans,ran radials,my underwear was too tight,etc.Come on and get 1[ONE]***** out pass in,no doubt what so ever that a 450 rwhp A4 should run 10.6 to 10.8s[depends on DA]all day and night.I do not doubt you are making the number with your new kick *** package just want to see a good run out of it.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

just post the 6 sec 1/8 mile time Joe
Old 07-29-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well in any case, Joe did dyno several (hundred) times at the same dyno I dynoed my car at, and Joe was with me when my car was dynoed (several dozen times)-- believe me we were trying to get the numbers out of it but and it just wasnt happening-- I think I would have seen if there were any tricks to be had. Joe doesnt run the dyno, he just brings the cars there and they dyno the car. You dont even get to drive your own car.

Now remeber, Joe is dynoing the car through a 10 bolt with stock gears, electric reverse flow water pump prototype, shortbelts, etc...he pulled no punches to get the numbers, and this is his "shop" car. Will other cars see these numbers? As joe says EWP is worth at least 11-12 rwhp right there, the yella terras and LS6 block add hp, etc...so right there that is like 20rwhp+ plus the shortbelt that most other cars wont see in my opinion. Joe has had some tranny problems and has been waiting on the replacement tranny for as long time now -- I dont know why he doesnt have it yet but he doesnt.

Joe isnt the only one doing 450rwhp through an A4, but yes I agree it would be nice to see some track times to really prove the point from someone (doesnt have to be joe either).

I am not just blindly supporting anyone either -- as far as I can tell Joe has pretty much abandoned me to getting my car running right myself. I am not happy about it because I entrusted my car to him and didnt want other people working on it, but I am grateful for the kickbutt block he built for me (assuming this oil burning problem is actually a PCV/oil management issue and not a block issue)...I still feel joe knows his stuff and can build the power, even if my car has not yet lived up to expectations.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Still Looking for Brent to clarify his statement.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not calling anyone a liar, I just think something's up. Like I said before, I could be wrong, but so far no one has backed up these numbers with a track time. Soon as I see it, I will be the first to congratrulate them, but until them I'm still unsatisfied.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just want to understand how A4 cars with 380-400rwhp run low 11's. 50-60 more rwhp should easily net better et's and mph.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey brent what about this car with your heads on it, why does he need NOS to get into the 10s, hes just 10 hp shy of 450, so he should be in the what high 10 sec range on motor

441rwhp @ 6050 before the clutch popped, 4 bent valves also. 232/238 XER cam 111lsa straight up
Phillip

--------------------
Phillip
1999 Corvette Coupe
Best bottle pass: 10.68 @ 134.2 1.63 60'
Best motor pass: 11.31 @ 124.6 1.59 60'
TEA 5.3 truck heads 11.75:1 cr, Comp Cams custom bumpstick
Old 07-29-2003, 09:58 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Thats true JFM, but it's not my driving skills, the cars trans is screwed under heavy accell in third, Agreed.. I NEVER had this many track problems before back when I was running my small low power package so that is true. Now, passing the shift points most times in all gears at WOT, bouncing the revlimiter to 7,700, and not shifting on cue is the kind of problems I've been putting up with ever since I installed this package, the original trans in the car now is over powererd and over worked 42K, passing the 1-2 shift and having to let off the gas between 2-3 shifts has become the norm for the track and slipping into third on the street under med accelleration, theres no scence in chasing the problem with line pressure/shift point mph through edit anymore because thats only a band aid or just plugging in scued data points by now until the existing problem is fixed (new trans)and at this point as I mentioned before, my car is not set up for the track period. Read my post in the eastern, and I mentioned I went out on a lark to blow off stress, not "I went out for a new best" cause thats impossible at this moment.
I will look in my car to find my last slips from last Thurs night at Atco but I distinctly remember the 1/8 mph was an easy launch of 1.62 93.27 something at just under 7.4 unofficially untill I post in the exact data, but thats still not a fair assessment of my cars performance cause the trans slips/engagues/slips/engagues into 3rd right before the 1/8 and is not working correctly obviously. If thats cause for an uproar, then somoene please come down and install my new trans and vert and I will get it prepped for the track.
The day I put up a post in the engine section claiming "The JPR custom cam S2 head packages are ready for retail and I gaurentte any purchaser of this package the exact same numbers I turned with it" is when I would be out of line, but until then, I am perfectly within the guide lines rules and last but not least, it's my car and my R&D.

Joe.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:04 AM
jfm
10 Second Club

A 450 rwhp A4 at a 0 DA weighing 3350 pounds should run at least 10.8s/125mph easy.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:10 AM
jfm
10 Second Club

Joe,I take it as an absolute that you made the HP,that goes without saying.

Are you going to run that motor with the new trans or wait for the 6 speed guy to install it?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:17 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Well in any case, Joe did dyno several (hundred) times at the same dyno I dynoed my car at, and Joe was with me when my car was dynoed (several dozen times)-- believe me we were trying to get the numbers out of it but and it just wasnt happening-- I think I would have seen if there were any tricks to be had. Joe doesnt run the dyno, he just brings the cars there and they dyno the car. You dont even get to drive your own car.

Now remeber, Joe is dynoing the car through a 10 bolt with stock gears, electric reverse flow water pump prototype, shortbelts, etc...he pulled no punches to get the numbers, and this is his "shop" car. Will other cars see these numbers? As joe says EWP is worth at least 11-12 rwhp right there, the yella terras and LS6 block add hp, etc...so right there that is like 20rwhp+ plus the shortbelt that most other cars wont see in my opinion. Joe has had some tranny problems and has been waiting on the replacement tranny for as long time now -- I dont know why he doesnt have it yet but he doesnt.

Joe isnt the only one doing 450rwhp through an A4, but yes I agree it would be nice to see some track times to really prove the point from someone (doesnt have to be joe either).

I am not just blindly supporting anyone either -- as far as I can tell Joe has pretty much abandoned me to getting my car running right myself. I am not happy about it because I entrusted my car to him and didnt want other people working on it, but I am grateful for the kickbutt block he built for me (assuming this oil burning problem is actually a PCV/oil management issue and not a block issue)...I still feel joe knows his stuff and can build the power, even if my car has not yet lived up to expectations.
I haven't abandoned you Eric, I stopped in at your house in PA just to consult with you last weekend comming home from my family reunion, I just haven't had time to call you this week, I will tonight though.

Joe.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know WE ALL HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE, but weight and weather are the two main factors affecting all these cars. My car ran an 11.70 had 411rwhp through a 12bolt & TCS4400 and was raced at 3720. Take out 400 pounds and it runs 11.3 same situation. Joes car is full weight as far as bumper supports rear seats and PS along with other BS. His car is a leightweight as far as TTops, Leather, PW. His car like others said is not far off from where everyone else is dynoing except for the pump. Take away his 11-12 rwhp and he is right where JS is. 441 rwhp, and should run what JS ran 11.14 with a good tranny and a full pass. Why is all this math so hard to figure out.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey brent what about this car with your heads on it, why does he need NOS to get into the 10s, hes just 10 hp shy of 450, so he should be in the what high 10 sec range on motor

441rwhp @ 6050 before the clutch popped, 4 bent valves also. 232/238 XER cam 111lsa straight up
Phillip

--------------------
Phillip
1999 Corvette Coupe
Best bottle pass: 10.68 @ 134.2 1.63 60'
Best motor pass: 11.31 @ 124.6 1.59 60'
TEA 5.3 truck heads 11.75:1 cr, Comp Cams custom bumpstick
If this car was an auto it would be a 10 second ride, but it's a stick. Not knocking phillip's driving skills, as 11.30's is very good. Look at his mph, that's extremely good, not to many heads/cam cars can turn damn near 125mph. I can think of only 1 other h/c cars that run that mph, i'm sure there are more, but can only think of 1.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:38 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me set the record straight bear.....

My car ran11.14@122.98 at (3460lbs) 4 times 1.47)
My car ran 11.17@121.01 at (3550lbs) 6 times (1.49)

The car was dynoing 429.8RWH/393.6RWT.
These were my final # after a 12-bolt/4.10 install.

I think my # add up just right bro...
Just look at the weight and the mph the car ran.

Oh and are u sure your car weighed 3720 with your 100lb WIFE making that 11.70 pass or was the car alittle more like 3550 at the time

No explanation needed Joe,If your busy with work thats understandable but try and get some runs soon.
I'd really like to see what the red camaro can do bro.

See ya soon

Old 07-30-2003, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

there is A4 with 408rwh/392rwt
best time 10.9/122,,AT MTI website(blue camaro ss
http://www.motorsporttech.com/customer_rides/index.asp
Old 07-30-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me set the record straight bear.....

My car <a href="mailto:ran11.14@122.98">ran11.14@122.98</a> at (3460lbs) 4 times 1.47)
My car ran <a href="mailto:11.17@121.01">ran11.14@122.98">ran11. 14@122.98</a> at (3460lbs) 4 times 1.47)
My car ran <a href="mailto:11.17@121.01</a> at (3550lbs) 6 times (1.49)
sO WHAT DID IT RUN WITH YOUR NEW 441 RWHP?

I think my # add up just right bro...
Just look at the weight and the mph the car ran.

Oh and are u sure your car weighed 3720 with your 100lb WIFE making that 11.70 pass or was the car alittle more like 3550 at the time
No the car is a flat 3600 curb weight with the cage, 12 bolt, subframes, subwoofer, both front seats rear seats bumper supports and whatever else GM puit in there and I could find laying around the house. This is with a 1/4 tank of gas. If u add the 3600 plus my wifes little 120 pound butt you get 3720 or so. If u want to verify this, I will be happy to show you if u ever race the car again. I will be there SEVERAL times enjoying the car, not just once or twice.
See ya soon

[/quote]
Old 07-30-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Back to the topic at hand...

am new here and i just got a 2000 trans am A4 mods,hookerLT,ORY,slp loud mouth,slp lid,273gears(nx wet kit 150 shot not install yet)
i have 7000$ to throw in this week ,
what TC and gears i need to get?
what kind of heads and cam ?
where i can get the tunning and instal in dallas?
i wana be in the low 11s N/A and high mid 10s with 150 shot?
sorry for the long write but this my first GM car?

Well if I was any where in Texas I'd want to take my car to MTI for the install and go with their Stage II heads either LS6 or the 6.0's and the X1 cam. Several cars have made a consistant 440+ rwhp with this set up and 3.73 or 4.11 gears.

With your auto, you might be able to do a 3000 stall and keep the 2.73's and not loose much et. The 2.73's will help the car dyno higher etc and who knows you might get near 450rwhp. Likewise, go with an efficent converter, I think Yank or Vigilante have coverters that are almost as efficent as a manual. You'll want to ask about gears and converters in the Auto Tranny section for best response.

Some of the folks on this thread should have good insight into the vert &amp; gear thing.

Quick Reply: looking for 450Rhp from heads and cam