Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for 450Rhp from heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for 450Rhp from heads and cam

am new here and i just got a 2000 trans am A4 mods,hookerLT,ORY,slp loud mouth,slp lid,273gears(nx wet kit 150 shot not install yet)
i have 7000$ to throw in this week ,
what TC and gears i need to get?
what kind of heads and cam ?
where i can get the tunning and instal in dallas?
i wana be in the low 11s N/A and high mid 10s with 150 shot?
sorry for the long write but this my first GM car?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: looking for 450Rhp from heads and cam

I dont think you will hit 450rwhp NA but you can definitely hit low 11s easy, prolly 10s on motor.

I know Sean at MMT was having a heads/cam special. $4000 for heads, cam, installation, and tuning. Might want to give him a call.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Launching!

i would start with 3.73 or 4.11 gears in a 12 bolt, 9 inch or an 8.8 rearend. definatly if you're gonna make that much power you dont want to have your 10 bolt in there. and a verter maybe around 3200-3600 range. i dont know alot about verters and our cars but i see that set up recomended alot with those gears. low 11's is definatly in your reach and posibly 450 rwhp with cam/heads and definatly with nitrous. do a search in the power devolopment section for the heads/cam and nitrous set up and chasis & body section for the gears and verter set up. hope this helps you. good luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

JPR S2 H/C package. His car is an A4. He is putting down 456rwhp with his package. He ran 11.4 with a bad tranny with this setup. I am having it installed this weekend.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

dunno if I would do all of those mods at once. Cause more than likely you will have some isues and you wont know ifs its the trans, verter, heads, cam, tuning, or n20. Could be alotta headache involved with it.

I always tell everyone to start slow and not to jump right into the bog boys toys. If you mod once at a time, you get to fine tune the car and get every tenth outta her you can.

something else you are gonna need is a 12bolt if you plan on spraying.

also look into verters that are made for both N20 and NA, but its gonna be hard to fine once that kicks azz for both.
as for heads/cam?? HEHHEHE have fun cause its a candy factory out there. GTPs run 2200-2800 for just heads, while TEA's or AS's run 1400-1700.

I wouldnt worry about dynos to much, but look more into setups that work well together.

good luck and have fun

Old 07-24-2003, 02:49 AM
TECH Resident

i just got the 12bolt with 373 gears,3800E TC,and some suspention stuff ,
i'll call JRP and MMT to talk to them about this,and the cost$$$ ,
BLK01ws6,,,send us some DYNO# when u get ur heads and cam ,
thanx alot
Old 07-24-2003, 08:38 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea Blk let us see your final numbers with your 3.23's
Joe's been tweeking that new setup for a while now and he has it pretty well thought out.U should be in the 450 range for sure....

Good luck
JS
Old 07-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

I should see my numbers by Tuesday. Joe will have the car all weekend. As soon as I get them I will scan the dyno sheet and post it for you guys.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where your located but as mentioned above Sean @ MMT can assist ya. Off the top of my head I can say build your tranny, add a Yank PT4000 and some 3.73's maybe. Buy the LS6 intake, ported TB. You want 450RWHP?? Get a set of SII or SIII LS6 heads and run the G5-X2 or M2 cam. Follow that up with Long Tube headers and a true dual setup, and I am pretty sure you will be @ 450 RWHP N/A
Old 07-28-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

With an auto 450rwhp and stock CID is BS. It's not possible. An auto car with 450rwhp should run mid 10's all day without any trouble. There isn't anyone running mid 10's with stock CID. If there are I retract my statement, but none of these 450rwhp auto cars have posted anything close the mid 10's. If stick cars with 420-430 run low 11's, an auto with anywhere close to that would demolish them. I think there are some sort of dyno trick in these cars. Like I said, i'm not trying to bash anyone, but I think the dyno numbers have been skewed. I'm just waiting for someone to prove me wrong with 125-130mph trap speeds and mid 10's in their 450rwhp auto.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An auto car with 450rwhp should run mid 10's all day without any trouble. If stick cars with 420-430 run low 11's, an auto with anywhere close to that would demolish them. I think there are some sort of dyno trick in these cars. Like I said, i'm not trying to bash anyone, but I think the dyno numbers have been skewed. I'm just waiting for someone to prove me wrong with 125-130mph trap speeds and mid 10's in their 450rwhp auto.

Finally someone said it!!! Your exactly right Brent. We see all kinds of 430 RWHP "stick" cars running mid to low 11's. 400 RWHP auto cars running the same thing with same mods and weight. So it only stands to reason that a car that "dynos" 450 RWHP through an auto would run 10's EASY! But as usual I'm sure this point will go by the way side and be ignored for the "hype" of the next SUPER DYNO post. And another thing to add to this reply is the fact that these dyno runs that show these kinds of results are rarely ever duplicted. 1 out of 100 at best! Like the post of a Hotcam and stock heads going 407 RWHP. Whatever. Like because of 1 dyno run that shows that, we should all go out and buy a Hotcam. A freak run that will likely never be backed up by a dyno test, on a different day, on a different dyno.

Bottom line....people should not get absorbed by these "hyped" up posts. Truth must contain verifiable fact.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

With an auto 450rwhp and stock CID is BS. It's not possible. An auto car with 450rwhp should run mid 10's all day without any trouble. There isn't anyone running mid 10's with stock CID
Interesting Are u saying that JPR is lying? Or are u saying he had a bigger CID then the 346. Please clarify.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

I thought something like this might happen from this post. Joe wanted me to be aware he doesn't guarantee 450 rwhp from his setup...but he did say I can expect at least 440. All cars are different. I know Joe's last run at atco was 11.6 at 67mph...yes 67mph. Imagine what that run would have been like if he didn't jam on the brakes to avoid getting kicked out!!! And this is on his BAD tranny. I myself have full faith in JPR. I have seen their work for years now. I believe he has with MUCH R&D found a package that can put down those kind of numbers with a stock displacement engine. I guess this week we will find out if it can be duplicated ;-)
Old 07-28-2003, 04:02 PM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

With an auto 450rwhp and stock CID is BS. It's not possible. An auto car with 450rwhp should run mid 10's all day without any trouble. There isn't anyone running mid 10's with stock CID. If there are I retract my statement, but none of these 450rwhp auto cars have posted anything close the mid 10's. If stick cars with 420-430 run low 11's, an auto with anywhere close to that would demolish them. I think there are some sort of dyno trick in these cars. Like I said, i'm not trying to bash anyone, but I think the dyno numbers have been skewed. I'm just waiting for someone to prove me wrong with 125-130mph trap speeds and mid 10's in their 450rwhp auto.

The power is there, you just have to figure out how to make more, I've dynoed 450+ on 4 seperate occasions on 4 different days, no tricks or any BS, I don't even run the dyno, JD, the owner of the shop does, I mearly spectate and read A-Tap while it's turning. This is a brand new head/cam package from us and I'm confident it will repeat within a percentage and my customer above thats getting the package right now was not promised 456/414 like I did, I told him right from the start to expect as high as 440. Brent EB2002 from Cartech dynoed 451/404 through some high gears so there lying too I guess Terry B hit over 450 with his A4 and on and on... I have some other power producing parts on my car that nobody else has so don't doubt it till you know all the facts yourself. Do a search on under my name, I have some of my sheets posted.
PS, my motor is going into an M6 Corvette by the end of next month so I will see first hand what it will do in a stick .

Joe.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

With an auto 450rwhp and stock CID is BS. It's not possible. An auto car with 450rwhp should run mid 10's all day without any trouble. There isn't anyone running mid 10's with stock CID
Interesting Are u saying that JPR is lying? Or are u saying he had a bigger CID then the 346. Please clarify.
I guess if this car has that special reverse flow electric water pump that was dyno tested and showed ~27+ rwhp back when Prince & Fisher were working together, it's possible to wring 456rwhp out with an A4.

Is the short block stock or has it been built?
Old 07-28-2003, 07:41 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Joe with all do respect
Brents car was a stick and your car is AUTO.

Theres a 5% variance between the 2 transmissions.

Brents car wouldve made 24.5RWHP LESS in a auto which equates to 425.5RWHP.U know this so why would u say something that stupid?

Oh and to set the record straight,Atco wont throw u out until u run it out 2 times and most people know this if they go there and race.

So if u have a car thats making serious power why not run it hard a few passes and if u get tossed who cares,at least u wouldve gotten a real ET instead of speculating.....

God knows I've done it many times before my cage went in my car

Well anywho good luck with the new setup

I'd expect u to make 440 threw a 10-bolt and 3.42s and I'm sure it will.I cant wait to race this fall,its gonna be fun but I dont have as much power as u guys nor am I as light but I think I can compete.

JS
Old 07-28-2003, 11:17 PM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Joe with all do respect
Brents car was a stick and your car is AUTO.

Theres a 5% variance between the 2 transmissions.

Brents car wouldve made 24.5RWHP LESS in a auto which equates to 425.5RWHP.U know this so why would u say something that stupid?

Oh and to set the record straight,Atco wont throw u out until u run it out 2 times and most people know this if they go there and race.

So if u have a car thats making serious power why not run it hard a few passes and if u get tossed who cares,at least u wouldve gotten a real ET instead of speculating.....

God knows I've done it many times before my cage went in my car

Well anywho good luck with the new setup

I'd expect u to make 440 threw a 10-bolt and 3.42s and I'm sure it will.I cant wait to race this fall,its gonna be fun but I dont have as much power as u guys nor am I as light but I think I can compete.

JS

I brought that up as an example from an above statement that I took as "450+ with stock cubic inches" couldn't be done.. but Brent does have high than usual gearing in the trans AND in the rear so it would close up the gap a bit more, so don't you be stupid and not stick up for me here because you use JD's same dyno for your customers with normal results Joel so lets not feed into the "Hot Dyno" theory.

Atco threw me right out on that braked pass, I was told to park it or go home, but I later snuck back in line to race Brent, thats when I was going to let it all out even if I burned the trans up racing him so don't presume, cause you wern't there, but I can list who was.

I can't run a few hard passes, I don't have the good trans in yet, like I mentioned on the eastern forum, I went out to go blow off some steam, I ran that night with ALL factory equipment inculding the sway bar laying off it on the top of third gear. I wasn't planning on going to the track till about 4:00 and I am not the one speculating here, read above, I didn't say ****.

Speculation:
I know if I go down to the track prepared with my good trans installed, sway bar off, lightened a bit, 3;73 gears or better, a converter over 3,600 stall, drag lites/skinnies up front in good air I can do a low 11 or possible 10 sec pass with no doubt in my mind.

Bottom line, my dyno numbers are legit, I turned 444/407 capped with a full belt right off the street, anyone can't handle that fact, then someone stand up and call me on it, put there money where there mouth is cause I'll take it .

Joe.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:22 PM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

I guess if this car has that special reverse flow electric water pump that was dyno tested and showed ~27+ rwhp back when Prince & Fisher were working together, it's possible to wring 456rwhp out with an A4.

Is the short block stock or has it been built?

I did a back to back test on the dyno and the electric pump with the race belt is worth only 11-12 RWH at this power level.

Joe.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 432 RWHP out of "ESP HEADS AND CAM PACKAGE"
They do real good work my head flow rate 307 CFM
not bad for ls1 heads . With that 150 shot on top you shouldn't have any problems break well over 500 to the rear wheels. Remember that when your in this territory an up-graded rear-end is
for the most part very necessary.
GOOD luck.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:00 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Again your explanation about Brent is dumb,Bottom line Brents car would be making 425.5RWHP if it were in an auto +/- 5RW---->PERIOD!!!!

Now the setup has been on your car for a LONG while but u still havent made ANY hard runs in the car other than a 11.40@119?

I just dont undestand it?
I mean u have access to boots/skinnies and lets face it,your car weighs 3340lbs on STOCK WHEELS.If u add skinnies/slicks along with a few other lightening mods your car would be 3200lbs,U BETTER RUN 10's at that point and with that power over 124MPH...

Honestly I BELIEVE u are making the numbers.So dont get upset,everythings kewl.....

I'm not starting any crap other than to say u can run the car hard at ATCO for 2 runs before being thrown out.Just show up on boots/skinnies and make a hard run,you'll get the warning and then make one more pass and u know what will happen after that bro.

For god sakes u and I had it happen to us back 2yrs ago.So no excuses about not being able to make hard runs without a bar or belt because u and both know u can get away with it for 2 runs....

Just get the trans in the car,drop the sway bar,add the boots/skinnies and pull the seat.I wanna see what that red camaro can really lay down.

The funny thing is your taking it out of your car and putting it in a Vette.Again I dont understand the logic.
Here u have a 450RW setup and u wont run it hard or ***** to the wall?

Why?

Quick Reply: looking for 450Rhp from heads and cam