Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished head swap, loss of some oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking maybe a piston gave out, judging from the smoke coming from the oil fill cap...could be pieces of it bouncing around in there. No SES light and everything was hooked up properly.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by heavymetals
now the original post has deleted the information as to wether he drove it or not.

I would check preload on the lifters.

Amazing what proper preload will do to the oil pressure.
My friend who put the lifters in did not set any preload, lifters were the same as the ones taken out, and that preload will not effect oil pressure. He has done a lot of head and cam swaps on many motors even biult the 327 from scratch in his garage he has in his mustang.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well why dont you ask your friend then that did the work?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HottLS1Z
So we finshed up my head swap tonight, added TSP stg 2.5 5.3 heads with LS7 Lifters. Started it up was alil noisy at first but quieted down pretty quick. Runs just fine but I have less oil pressure for some reason. I usually have about 39-42 lbs at idle and about 50 just cruisin. After I let it warm up I took it on like a 5-10 mile trip and noticed I only had about 40-42 psi driving and 28-30 at idle now. What could be goin on here? Oil is full and clean.
Originally Posted by HottLS1Z
My friend who put the lifters in did not set any preload, lifters were the same as the ones taken out, and that preload will not effect oil pressure. He has done a lot of head and cam swaps on many motors even biult the 327 from scratch in his garage he has in his mustang.
so they were in fact the exact units used before, or another set of LS7 lifters? preload is kind of a big deal. your story sounds to be like a blown head gasket or spun bearing, maybe even a hole in a piston. were the 5.3 heads checked? had they been milled? did you clay the motor for PTV clearance? did you check for correct pushrod length?

not to be a dick, but a GenIII motor is not the same as SBC, similar, but a different animal.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jed.only
so they were in fact the exact units used before, or another set of LS7 lifters? preload is kind of a big deal. your story sounds to be like a blown head gasket or spun bearing, maybe even a hole in a piston. were the 5.3 heads checked? had they been milled? did you clay the motor for PTV clearance? did you check for correct pushrod length?

not to be a dick, but a GenIII motor is not the same as SBC, similar, but a different animal.
No they were a NEW set of LS7 lifters. The 5.3 heads were brand new from TSP, valves were sunk into the head further etc just for the MS3 cam, I talked to them today and verified it today. Did not clay the motor since TSP said i could go as think as a 48 gasket but I didnt I went with a standard 58 thickness just to be safe since I do like taking the car to the track. As for it being a different animal, I agree, but the basics are the same ya know? gotta love how this **** happens right when the weather is ready to get nice
Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by miller456
well why dont you ask your friend then that did the work?
He dont know, but believe me he will be helpin tear it back down to figure it out. Gotta remember it ran fine the night we got it done and for the first 10-15 miles the day before, if the install was fk'd up it shouldnt have run right at all?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Any smoke out the exhaust? Have you drained the oil and checked it again? It seems that if was running fine before the swap, it would be something to do with the heads. Like was said before, maybe a head gasket.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
Any smoke out the exhaust? Have you drained the oil and checked it again? It seems that if was running fine before the swap, it would be something to do with the heads. Like was said before, maybe a head gasket.
will check oil tomorrow, got off work late. Ran fine after swap also. Aproblem with brand new GM haskets? They looked fine.....what about the gradually decreasing oil pressure and the smoke out of the oil dipstick?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

smoke out the dipstick? sounds like compression in the crank case. blown head gasket or bad piston. they didnt seal right or a valve hit a piston. are you sure you installed them right? i usually spray mine with copper spray prior to install. just something i picked up along the way.

it is imperative that these little measures be done any time you do motor work. things like checking preload and pushrod length, claying for PTV clearance, all the little things, especially if youre adding a cam or swapping heads, and even moreso when you are messing with heads that might be milled/different casting regardless of what whoever told you. they will tell you the same.

good luck and i hope im wrong.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jed.only
smoke out the dipstick? sounds like compression in the crank case. blown head gasket or bad piston.
That is what I was thinking. I bet if you took off the oil fill cap while the car is running there would be smoke coming out of it as well. Regardless.. either out of the dip stick or oil fill, that's usually bad news.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
That is what I was thinking. I bet if you took off the oil fill cap while the car is running there would be smoke coming out of it as well. Regardless.. either out of the dip stick or oil fill, that's usually bad news.
Correct was coming from the oil fill cap too, as stated in one of my previous posts, I think its safe to say something's toast from the sounds of it.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Ahh I missed that part.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

if something like that happened why though, was running just fine, wasnt running it hard at all never went past 3500rpm and didnt overheat no coolant in the oil...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Well got to pull the plugs, one side had some oil on the DS head the PS looked fine, Drainded the oil Metal shavings all over the plug and my oil is black with shavings, oil is 6 days old has 20 miles on it if that. Any ideas? If a bearing gave why would this happen right after a head swap and why was it slowly loosing oil pressure the more I drove it. Remember I only put maybe 15 miles on it after head swap and never went past 3500rpm's. Something isnt adding up here.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

when you check your dipstick, you say its not milky, any water droplets? what head gaskets did you use? also, did you have a chance to do a compression test?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for your misfortune.

That whole motor is coming apart now.

Welcome to Mod Hell.

Wait till you have someone say "I wouldn't have messed with it."

Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sloganish
when you check your dipstick, you say its not milky, any water droplets? what head gaskets did you use? also, did you have a chance to do a compression test?
Nope, didnt do a compression test, there was lots of metal in the oil though, I cant see a head gasket doing that. What I would really like to know is what would cause oil pressure to slowly fall over the course of a 20-25 min drive AFTER the engine is already at full operating temp?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pressure could drop because oil pump ground itself up, or a lifter/pushrod/rocker joint is breached.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Pressure could drop because oil pump ground itself up, or a lifter/pushrod/rocker joint is breached.
Took the heads off today, they look fine so do the pistons. Lifters look ok along with the rockers and springs and push rods. Only catch is all 4 spark plugs showed signs of oil deposots on the drivers side, passenger side looked fine, what could be up with that? Never heard of an oil pump grinding itself up...? One thing I did notice is there appears to be a nice scratch on the cam lobe where the second lifter on the pasenger side sits, however its not on the section of the lobe where the roller section of the lifter makes contact, couldn't see too much but has anyone ever seen anything like that?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

anyone?