Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TFS 215 vs ET 215's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright...ETP is on a 4 week wait. I called MPH Motorsports and they have a set of the ETP 215s that are used, but Jeremy sent them back to ETP to have new springs put on, gone through and checked. He said $1800 with the rocker pedestals for the stock rockers. Or i'm sure i can get TFS no problem. What should I do?!?! I know i wouldn't have a problem with the used ETPs but i'm just not wanting to buy used heads...opinions? quick please! haha
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jshelton2006
alright...ETP is on a 4 week wait. I called MPH Motorsports and they have a set of the ETP 215s that are used, but Jeremy sent them back to ETP to have new springs put on, gone through and checked. He said $1800 with the rocker pedestals for the stock rockers. Or i'm sure i can get TFS no problem. What should I do?!?! I know i wouldn't have a problem with the used ETPs but i'm just not wanting to buy used heads...opinions? quick please! haha
At this price it is an amazing deal...

The way the ETP heads are engineered provide them one of the highest resistance to time and abuse (inserts and deck thickness)

Plus you go as my set-up with the stock rockers...saving again and strong results.

Christian
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd go with the TFS if I were in your situation.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Miami, are you running stock rockers?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Miami, are you running stock rockers?
Stock rockers Harland Sharp bearing upgraded for my peace of mind reving 7400rpm on the ETP pedestal...

Christian
Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

I'm going with TFS...i just can't make myself spend $2K on used heads when i've had the car apart since december and put this much work into it...I just can't! I don't think it's gonna make any noticeable difference. I'm sure i'm going to be more than happy with TFS.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

wow, everything is ordered and should be here in a week or so. i can't wait to have it back together!!! thanks for all the help. anybody want to make a RWHP guess??? I'm hoping to hit 480. MS4, TFS heads, FAST 90 (port matched), ls7 lifters, M6, Yella Terra 1.7s, LTs, Mufflex ORY into 4" E-cutout, etc...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

good decision!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
1st of all can you shorten this **** up.

2nd I said all 3 heads are very good and can be made to work.
Where are all these record breaking TFS headed cars?
I am one of the reasons GrannySShifting has the knowledge of all these heads.
I am one of VERY few who has done back to back to back testing of ET and AFR on there own car.
The valve train stuff is not rocket science or black magic.

Why dont you go out and be the record setter for TFS, then maybe someone will care about your opinion.
I agreed I ranted a little, but I wont shorten any replies just because you want me too.

I never said anything bout record breaking cars? good results yes, none record breaking on the track at least. I'm not even sure which ones head is the dyno king. I dont really care about that though.

I agree the valvetrain stuff isnt black magic, but a lot of people do mess up there. I'm not even sure what Granny is talking about that is so tricky. I just pointed it out as possibly another thing to consider when selecting which head. I was assuming he was making a valid point, I'm not sure you know him better than me.

finally, I dont need to break any records to make my opinion matter. you cared about it enough to address it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

darrensls1,

I'm tired of typing wars. we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. We can go back and forth til the cows come home. I like TFS, You like ETP. Both have cracked 500 on the dyno. We just need to see more of you ETP guys get to the track. Even if either head could be proven a clear winner, it looks like this OP's decision was more based on lead time. Which is one department where ETP does need to get there act together cause it looks like they just lost a sale. Now if I was set on a certain head I would wait forever, You cant rush a good set of heads.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top Fuel
darrensls1,

I'm tired of typing wars. we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. We can go back and forth til the cows come home. I like TFS, You like ETP. Both have cracked 500 on the dyno. We just need to see more of you ETP guys get to the track. Even if either head could be proven a clear winner, it looks like this OP's decision was more based on lead time. Which is one department where ETP does need to get there act together cause it looks like they just lost a sale. Now if I was set on a certain head I would wait forever, You cant rush a good set of heads.
This debate (on my end) was never about there being a clear winner. I have always said if someone buys TFS, ETP or AFR then they have all ready won. You are the one who has declared TFS as a clear cut winner at the track. I disagreed and off we went.

Not everyone who builds a fast car races at the track. Unfortunately many people do not want to put a roll bar in thier car and race on the streets. ETP's make the power and can back that up at the track "WITH" the right setup around it.

The dyno will tell where the power is and then it's up to the owner to use the proper tires, stall, gears and shiftpoints to turn all of that HP into ET and trap. You can agree to disagree if you like but I will never agree that TFS outperforms ETP.

I will agree that ETP and TFS are both kick *** heads, worth the money and worth the wait.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Just for the record, allngn_c5 did trap an impressive 123mph, but with AFR heads according to his sig.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I read somewhere that you need roller rockers for the trickflows. Still I think they are close enough in price that cost can be set aside.

On top of that I have a performance shop owner/sponsor who has installed and dynoed both heads on various customers cars tell me that he likes the ETP's better. You are biased based on your setup. I am biased based on my previous choice for a setup. But he could care less since he sells both heads and would make money either way.

Sorry if I choose to believe him.
Im with the shop owner above and my opinion would be the same for the same reasons. How quick and easy you want your stuff to be is also a factor for most customers besides outright power. Get stuff wrong and even ETPs can end up a terd.

Valvetrain on the ETP stuff isnt a black art like ATVRacr said, but your not going to pop off stock heads, bolt down ETPs and supplied hardware, measure pushrod length and go turn 7500+ as easily as you will any of the more "stock" castings. Its a pretty heavy valve, long pushrod deal, with a solid roller it wouldnt matter much with good parts but you can only go do so much with hyd stuff. I set ATVracrs stuff up pretty specifically for what he was doing, your average end user is NOT going to go thru 1/3 of that process. Id definitely say that the ETP CAN make the most power, but WILL they is ultimately up to the guy picking the parts, valvetrain etc etc. Sometimes simpler is better for some, even I choose simpler for alot of customers. If I have to take them time to set things up/check more things it can add to the cust. final tab. In a case like ATVRacrs it didnt matter much because he got heads, springs, etc at my cost, my time figuring out how to get the spring I wanted, right hardware to use it, setup etc was free - for most it would have been a bill of @$3200 for parts, plus time/labor.

This is why there is not one "best" cylinder head. Its whats best for what your doing that matters. I think the last 5 sets of heads I ordered to put together was a ported stock casting, AFR, ported stock, TFS, and ETPs. Brand loyalty is BS. Getting the customer the best for what they are doing is much better for them than pushing your particular product like the crack man!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MPM IV
Just for the record, allngn_c5 did trap an impressive 123mph, but with AFR heads according to his sig.
You're right. I stand corrected on that one. I know there was a vette that had switched to ETP 215's but it must have been someone else. I'll see if I can find the car I was thinking of.

Pretty impressive though for AFR 205's. Like I said, if you buy AFR, ETP or TFS then you all ready won
Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
I set ATVracrs stuff up pretty specifically for what he was doing

In a case like ATVRacrs it didnt matter much because he got heads, springs, etc at my cost, my time figuring out how to get the spring I wanted, right hardware to use it, setup etc was free - for most it would have been a bill of @$3200 for parts, plus time/labor.
Poor me, what would I have done without the smartest LS1 guy in history.

Guess we'll find out.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Launching!

wow, everything is ordered and should be here in a week or so. i can't wait to have it back together!!! thanks for all the help. anybody want to make a RWHP guess??? I'm hoping to hit 480. MS4, TFS heads, FAST 90 (port matched), ls7 lifters, M6, Yella Terra 1.7s, LTs, Mufflex ORY into 4" E-cutout, etc...
I have a set of NIB with rocker stands and the upgraded springs that I am considering selling. I'm a little late. Well good luck on the results. Keep us posted.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fwiw i trapped 121 the one and only time i went to the track with my tfs heads and thats in a full weight+ f body.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'm going with TFS...i just can't make myself spend $2K on used heads when i've had the car apart since december and put this much work into it...I just can't! I don't think it's gonna make any noticeable difference. I'm sure i'm going to be more than happy with TFS.
Good choice!

You will be more than happy with your heads. Let us know if you have any questions.