Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demon carburetors need help choosing ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demon carburetors need help choosing ?

I am wanting to buy a demon carburetor for my gen 3 Ls6 but i need help choosing whick one to go with so can i get any suggestions and part numbers ? (my mods will be listed below) (I will be doing alot of drag racing with the car but it will be streetable)

1982 Camaro LS6 Conversion

6.0 lq4 block with flat top pistons
tsp LS6 stage 2.5 cnc ported heads and shaved 30 thousands
comp cams 605/609 lift camshaft
edelbrock rpm intake manifold with ignition module
stainless works 1 3/4" long tube headers
asp underdrive pulley
slp 160 thermostat
summit 1" carburetor spacer
10" ptc 4200 torque converter
th350 transmission
410 gears
full chrome moly spohn suspension
Old 04-03-2008, 04:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont need more than a 750CFM carburetor. Also with that edelbrock box i have heard people having problems with it since it is not programmable. If this is a daily driver car i would reccomend a vacuum secondary carburetor. I am personally going to run a wideband O2 in my X pipe to really get my carb tuned and i have the fully programable msd box for my intake. Not sure if you want the carb spacer or not either. If you go with a demon be sure to remove the float bowls and clean out the metal shavings that some of them have in there.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

From experience with Demon carbs, I would use the Mighty Demon, better perfomance and tunability and as stated above 750 would be max recomended size. On another note: BG carbs also has very/extremely bad quality control and some of there techs are idiots. I had a 650 MD right out of the box with no issues, went up a 750MD because of more cubes and it ran like crap, I kept having issues leak downs on the secondarys, bad performance and knew where the problem was but all they told me was to ship it back to them and they would go through it, I sent it back and when it ccame back 6 wks later all they did was put gaskets in it and I had the same issues, I swapped the secondary metering block and bowl and haven't had issue one with it, I have also seen many post (pages) on other sights about quality issues relating to demon carbs, mostly there street demon carb. The primary difference is the street demon has a choke setup and the MD has all thay shaved off. I run my 750 on a Dart single plane on a 427 and it will start right up after a couple pumps, the down side is you usually have to sit there and keep it running till it warms up. I would personly look at the Proform or Holley carbs. I like my Demon but I don't think I would buy another.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

i had a mighty demon and really liked it. after some minor tweaks like changing the booster cam(i think that is what it's called anyways) because it went very lean when the secondaries first opened and caused a hesitation. had to change something else but can't remember what it was, but it never missed a beat after that.
*edit* i also had to put in jet extensions.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

There is a reason that GM isnt running demon carbs on there 572's any more. I am going to leave it at that. I would suggest looking into a QFT Carb. We have had very good results using these Carbs and their customer service is way better the Barry Grant.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I had a 750 speed demon 8 years ago and could not get it to run for ****. I called the tech line, that was a joke. They had crappy costumer service.
Since then my brother bought one of the mighty demons thinking quality control would be better, same **** happened and he got Jegs to take it back.

Stick with a Holley or quickfuel. The Proform works pretty well too.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's the thing about Barry Grant's carbs - they're great units if you intend to take your car to the track A LOT. They're certainly not street friendly out of the box, and the most common problem is getting them lean-out on at idle. I remember my eyes used to water with my 750 Mighty Demon at stop lights, but after getting a wideband and setting my jets to 69-primary and 81-secondary, I finally hit the 14.7:1 sweet spot.

Of course, your jetting will be totally different than mine was, but that's not to say you can't tune it correctly.

If you don't have your heart set on a BG unit, I'd recommend looking into AED's products. They're modified holley units and they work FANTASTIC! Straight out of the box, the car ran like a champ. It lost a little of its steam towards the big end of the track compared to the Mighty Demon, but who cares?! At least I didn't have to bring a box of kleenex with me every time I drove the car. LOL

You can find AED's units on Ebay, I believe.

Good luck,
Vince
Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank u....
Someone on here knows why GM isnt using Demon Carbs..
Take it from someone that knows,GO WITH A HP HOLLEY and be done with it
Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BG's are crap. Go with a Pro Systems, CSU, or C&S
Old 04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

have had great luck with my little 625 demon
Old 04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
I'd recommend looking into AED's products. They're modified holley units and they work FANTASTIC!
I've got a 750 AED on my TA and it is doing awesome.

As for the box with the pills, I haven't had any problems with mine but who knows what will happen down the road. I put the # 6 pill in and went to driving

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kirk1989
6.0 lq4 block with flat top pistons
tsp LS6 stage 2.5 cnc ported heads and shaved 30 thousands
comp cams 605/609 lift camshaft
edelbrock rpm intake manifold with ignition module
stainless works 1 3/4" long tube headers
summit 1" carburetor spacer
10" ptc 4200 torque converter
th350 transmission
410 gears
Based on some of these specs, you dont go into detail on the cam, I am taking that you are planning on spinning this motor past 6500rpm, the Edel Duel plane intake insnt going to do you much good, you would do much better with a single plane intake, if your running a manual trans you wont notice any real drop on street performance, personally even with an automatic I think the overall performance drop of having a single plane over a duel plane intake on the street is mute unless you do towing or heavy hauling of weight. With the use of a single plane intake the 650cfm carb would be a better choice especially for around town driveability.