Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forging Bottom End?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What all does that involve? I'm a newb when it comes to this... sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the help guys
Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, if you just replace the pistons and the rods, you will still have the same displacement. if you get a crank with a longer stroke, then you will have more displacement, which means it'll be easier to make more power
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

for the money you are wanting to spend you may want to look into a forged shortblock form some of the sponsors, get some 317 heads to lower compression- run more boost, and the sell you motor that is still running to help offset the cost of the new motor.

rings- I would suggest the Total Seal rings, I think that is what Bob says to use as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

A forged shortblock would be cheaper than just upgrading the pistons/pushrods/rings?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I have seen a few 347s running massive horsepower in our car club. Personally, I wouldnt waste the extra money on the 383 setup. Forge your LS1 and just figure out what amount of boost you want to run. You can always go higher in boost i.e. bigger pulleys. I am looking at doing the same thing. I am wondering if the block will have to be bored or honed out, or can you just forge the motor as is. Reason is I am thinking of maybe leaving the block in the car, and removing the intake, heads, and manifolds, and dropping the oil pan and bottom end from the bottom. Reason is the air works perfectly, (probably the only car I have ever owned that blows really cold). Once my 98 compressor blew, the shop that did mine could never get the system to blow decently again. Now my 01 works awesome, so was wondering if i can just forge the car with block in place. I will be putting on new AFRs, and reusing my LS6.