Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light after missed shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lcars
If I order better pushrods and this happens again which obviously I don't plan on letting it happen but if it does then wouldn't the hardened pushrods force something worse to break???
Yes, if you miss 4th and go into 2nd, you may not bend a hardened pushrod. You likely will cause other damage however and have piston to valve contact. That will be bad news for your motor. I wouldn't put hardened pushrods in a stock motor. There is really no need and they can save you if you do miss a shift.

Just hitting the rev limiter will not necessarily cause any damage. I hit rev limiter plenty of times when my car was stock. When I did my cam swap, all my pushrods were perfectly straight. Have you raised your stock rev limit? Pull the codes at autozone and see what they are. That will be your first step.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Haven't raised the stock rev limit. When I attempted the shift I thought I had it in gear then I floored it. It revved as high as it would go for no more than 5 sec's. The SES light didn't immediately come on. I pulled into the driveway turned the car off. Came back later and started it thats when I heard the ticking/knocking and noticed the SES light.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Pull the codes and post them. I have never been on the rev limiter for more than a second, so you may have bent a pushrod. If you did, the good news is that they are easy to replace.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

I will try to get the codes this weekend and post them to see what you all think. Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well like stated u most likely bent pushrods and its not very hard to check them at all. You got luckier than i did as i had a 2-3-2 shift, bent 7 out of 16 rods, shatterend 2nd gear and needed new bearings in the trans, and also floate the valves and ended up spending WAY more than I had liked over the winter rebuilding everything. Check the codes see what they say and then ur rods, hopefully that fixes ur problem, if you have a flashing ses light try not to continue to drive the car around and fix the problem. If it still occurs after a pushrod swap i would gear towards valves myself and would start with a compression check from there.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pushrod more then likey
Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... I have hit limiter countless times, never thought it could bend pushrods... hitting 2nd i could see, but not just bouncing...
I have done the 2-3-2 once, scared the **** outta me- dont think its done anything though it was 6 months ago- i guess i will find out when i tear down in a couple weeks.