Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008 | 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Big problem

Thanks everyone who helped with my pcv problem got the catch can and it solved my smoking problem 100%. But today I checked my fluids coolant looks like a milk shake with gunk and black gritty residue build up and it was low along with the oil dipstick having white gunky build up on it. So head gasket is my bet. this is for the 2002 ws6. But there is no smoke at all. Just runs normal any help thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2008 | 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a head gasket to me also. Mormally this Dexcool coolant looks funny if it's not driven long enough to get to operating temps, but with your oil lookin like that I'd say head gasket also.
Old 04-24-2008 | 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

ugh guess I'll do a leakdown test soon lol this car is going to break me I can see it. Any suggestions on good gaskets to get and were, plus the avarage cost to replace them. thanks
Old 04-24-2008 | 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Well since your basically stock, I'd just run down to Autozone & buy the $17.99 stock FelPro replacements & a set of head bolts from SDPC. Thats the gasket I run with a light coat of copper spray on it. Been on for 7 months of daily driving duty & zero leaks. It's definetly the cheapest route to go.

You'll need new head bolts cause the stockers are torque to yeild(TTY) & should not be re-used.

With the price of those gaskets, new head bolts & copper spray you'll spend under $100 & then your personal time fixing it. It's not too bad a deal, could be worse.
Old 04-24-2008 | 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Stock GM gasket (get em from one of the sponsors 30 bucks or so a peice I believe?). You will be very hard pressed to beat it, in fact you wont for a reasonable price. Do not go buy some parts store junk. Factory MLS gasket is what you want. You will need new bolts as the stock ones are torque to yield.
Old 04-24-2008 | 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Do not go buy some parts store junk.
Dude they aren't crappy paper gaskets like Pacesetter sends for their LT's. They are good FelPro head gaskets & there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Especially if your on a budget.

Not knockin the GM gaskets, but the FelPro's are just fine & cheaper. They are not trash gaskets.
Old 04-25-2008 | 12:16 PM
On The Tree

And dont run your car till its fixed or you will screw your cats.
Old 04-25-2008 | 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the oil out of the block right away, coolant is hard on bearings. Milkshake happens once in a while, and you either have a blown head gasket, a cracked head, or a cracked block. Seriously stinky problem, but fixable. Sucks to do in a 4th gen engine bay though. My daughters 94 with a 3.4 had the same issue last summer, thought it was a bad LIM, but it was a cracked head. She did the labor (with a little help) to fix it and the car runs fine now. If a little girl can do it, you can too!
Old 04-26-2008 | 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Under the oil cap I have a butter like build up it is yellowish in color very sticky and slimy. My oil still doesnt look like a milkshake. Plus I let my car sit over night after refilling the radiator and there has to be an exterior leak because it was full yesterday at 6:00pm and this morning at 8:00 it was low enough to were I can't see it. Checked my power steering it looks fine some say the powersteering mixes with the coolant through the power steering cooler but my PS fluid was fine. The coolant looks like a mix between rasberries and blackberries grinded up lol. And in my searches the buttery substance on dipstick and oil cap is large amounts of moisture and condensation. So diagnosis anyone thanks for all inputs guys
Old 04-26-2008 | 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

If it were mine I would fully flush the cooling system, replace the hoses & replace thermo at minimum. Personally I'd probably swap out the water pump too since you can grab a replacement for about $150. Make sure your radiator itself is cleaned out the absolute best you can get it.
Old 04-26-2008 | 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run felpro gaskets their is nothing wrong with them. If you run your car in the rain you can get some water inside and you will see it in your fill cap, Or if you make alot of short trips it can happen. Coolant on the otehr hand, the Dex cool seem to gel up when you mix it or if you have a leak and it gets low, making the coolant get hotter than it should and it turns into gel, also if its not mixed properly you can have issues.
I wouldent jump to conclusions yet, flush out your coolant system fix the leak and just keep an eye on your oil keep checking the level and the fill cap.
Old 04-26-2008 | 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Ok midas said it was a blown head gasket since my coolant was bubling up with air bubles and I had vapor shooting out of my oil dipstick. I don't believe this diagnosis since they didnt do a compression test on the radiator, and they don't have time to. Lol charge 1,800 for HG replacement. I will do the compression test myself from autozone now. What should I be looking for in the test and what other symptoms should I see if blown HG. My right passanger bank has some fluid build up where the head meets the block just above the valve cover assembly aswell. I don't think its a HG problem since my car sat last night and lost 20 fl oz of water while not even running for 1 and 1/2 days. No smoke either. ugh mystery problems.
Old 04-28-2008 | 09:19 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

It really does sound like a head gasket, if you're losing coolant. . .where is it going? You're oil level should be higher, or it could be going out the exhaust. Considering there is coolant in the oil as you described in the first post, and also oil in the coolant, it's certain to be a head gasket

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-28-2008 | 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Yep did the NAPA test with the blue fluid which turns yellow if exhaust gases are present in the coolant, have my gaskets and bolts on order. Only thing is its not burning the coolant or oil, and the oil is not turning (milkshake) the coolant is looking fine now, and the car is not over heating. The only thing is on even short drives my coolant drops about 1-2 inches. Also drops over night so I looked at the hoses found nothing. Still have a buttery substance on dipstick and oil cap, from water in oil I figure. Ugh begin HG replacement saturday.