Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blue oil pump o ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I used the blue one a couple years ago with no problems.

Bill
I've tried 3 diff pumps and 2 blue seals. No combination allows for the pickup tube to "snap" into place like it would if I used the old gray/brown seal. Not sure what more I can do. The only constant is the blue seal...its huge in comparision to the old seal.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by verano29
I would say .250" sounds about right. Here's what I did. I installed the pump slightly turned in the clockwise direction. Pushed it all the way on (until it touches the block). Then I rotate it counter clockwise until its directly over the pick up tube (which I've been holding down the whole time). I let the pick up tube naturally slide up into position. I then press the pickup tube into the pump with minimal effort but when I let go it wants to push away from the pump. I then put in two bolts to hold the pump in place and screw in the pickup tube which seems to go in with no effort. I then replace all the bolts (with locktite).

How does this sound?
Sounds good as long as the oil pump body isn't touching the oil pump drive. Here's the steps:

1. Remove the pump plate and gears from the oil pump.
2. Install the pump body over the oil pump drive, ensuring the pickup tube and o-ring are properly aligned.
3. Use two .002" feeler gauges placed opposite of each other between the top cogs of the oil pump drive and the oil pump body.
4. Install the 4 oil pump to block bolts using blue loctite. Torque to 18 ft/lbs.
5. Install the oil pump pickup tube bolt with blue loctite and tighten. I couldn't get a torque wrench on this bolt so I tightened is reasonably tight.
6. Lube the oil pump gears and install the outer gear with dimple facing out or the direction of the pump plate. Install the inner gear, it doesn't matter which direction as there is no front or back.
7. Install the pump plate and bolts. Use blue loctite on the bolts and torque to 106 in/lb.
8. Done.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds to me that you are installing the o-ring fine. Lube it up good and install it. The o-ring has some pre-load, and it sounds like you have got that. The reason the old ones slides in is it is a poor fit.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

There has been a lot of talk about the importance of not nicking or tearing the o ring. Frankly, this has got me freaked out. Now there is only one way the tube can insert into the pump and there are zero surfaces that could cause such damage so I'm not sure how this could happen. But it has me worried non-the-less.

I'm taking the assembly a part one more time and inspecting the o ring. If the o ring is fine I'm going to insert it again, like I have about 50 times and be done with it.

Not sure what more I can do. The pick up will not sit flushly against the pump unless I screw it in. With the old seal it will just fine...and I use the exact same installation procedure....I could do it in my sleep now. I would wager to bet that I have installed an oil pump on an LS1 engine more than any other forum member.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
2. Install the pump body over the oil pump drive, ensuring the pickup tube and o-ring are properly aligned.
That is what has me a bit worried. I don't know how it would be humanly possible to not have the pickup tube and o-ring properly aligned. It only goes in one way and the rear of the pick up tube being firmly attached ensures this.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

You'll love this. I removed the pump (after I had everything properly torqued down) and the o-ring did in fact have a nick in it. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I still don't see how that could possibly cause leaks but I have no idea what to do at this point. Using the blue o ring the pick up will NOT "snap" into place (firmly seat against the pump...unless I effortlessly screw it in) on the 1) LS1 pump (original) 2)The LS High volume pump, or 3)The LS6 pump. The pick up tube will "snap" into place (firmly seat) on all three pumps using the old o ring.

I had good oil pressure before, is there any reason to believe that using the old o-ring I will have issues?

I have no idea what to do at this point. Suggestions? What the heck could I possibly be doing wrong, the darn thing only goes in ONE WAY!
Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's what I did, I practiced a few times with a old o-ring and then realized if the tube is centered and the o-ring is well lubed you can feel it slide in. Off-center and poorly lubed the o-ring will "roll" and then pinch.

If you have truly installed it 50 times without pinching it, you are one of the pro's out there at this point. Put it together and go. Absolute worst case, you pull it apart again, but its not the end of the world if it happens either. Take your best shot at it and move on. There are a lot of guys on this board who have done this successfully and they are a hell of a lot less careful than you are.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Here's what I did, I practiced a few times with a old o-ring and then realized if the tube is centered and the o-ring is well lubed you can feel it slide in. Off-center and poorly lubed the o-ring will "roll" and then pinch.

If you have truly installed it 50 times without pinching it, you are one of the pro's out there at this point. Put it together and go. Absolute worst case, you pull it apart again, but its not the end of the world if it happens either. Take your best shot at it and move on. There are a lot of guys on this board who have done this successfully and they are a hell of a lot less careful than you are.
I'll keep trying. I'll give it another hour, then I'll just have to use the old o-ring. At the rate I work, having to pull it apart again will take me a month. Assuming the lack of oil pressure didn't completely destroy the motor.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts

Holy crap....I think I got it!!!!!! I don't want to F this up. Should I quick stick the screw in or bolt the pump to the block first??

Awesome description vettenuts!!!!!!!! You are the man!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

pick up tube is flush against the pump and not pulling away Awesome!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

This feels like the first day on the job....I'm new and I don't know what to do.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

ok, all torqued down....moving on to the timing cover seal....lets see how many ways I can screw this up....stay tuned!!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should cut down on the caffeine. Make sure you tighten the pickup tube before tightening the mounting bolts for the pump or it will most likely damage the o-ring. The new o-ring will be slightly bigger and have a little resistence going in.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaveX
You should cut down on the caffeine. Make sure you tighten the pickup tube before tightening the mounting bolts for the pump or it will most likely damage the o-ring. The new o-ring will be slightly bigger and have a little resistence going in.

I figured the other way around. I finger-tightned the pick up tube so it wouldn't slip out. I then tightened the mounting bolts (which were already lined up) before torqing down the tube. I did this thinking that if I first tightned down the tube and then the mounting bolts if the pump needed to move a little while mounting it might be bad if the pick up tub was already locked in place...something would have to give. Either way, I don't think anything moved.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

omg bro you have 40 posts in this thread. relax. all you have to do is put it on the tube with a bit of oil and tighten her down. its really not as dramatic as you think it is. rub your ears and say woo saa.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
omg bro you have 40 posts in this thread. relax. all you have to do is put it on the tube with a bit of oil and tighten her down. its really not as dramatic as you think it is. rub your ears and say woo saa.
Oh, I assure you its not that easy. There is a right way to put on the pickup. If it doesn't click into place (sit flush against the pump without being bolted down) you will damage the o-ring (not sure if this will cause it to leak but it WILL damage the o ring) The old gray/brown style o ring is a snap (it just falls into place), the new style blue o ring is not so easy.

Anywho I'm a software engineer for a medical device company...its my nature to freak out if everything isn't perfect!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

i just bought one and it was red.... !?!? haven't tried to fit it yet though.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Mine came with a Blue and Green, I like how the Blue fit and it has been working fine now for 1800 miles. It was the thicker of the two.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by verano29
Oh, I assure you its not that easy. There is a right way to put on the pickup. If it doesn't click into place (sit flush against the pump without being bolted down) you will damage the o-ring (not sure if this will cause it to leak but it WILL damage the o ring) The old gray/brown style o ring is a snap (it just falls into place), the new style blue o ring is not so easy.

Anywho I'm a software engineer for a medical device company...its my nature to freak out if everything isn't perfect!
xanax works wonders......

glad you got it all in place, now fire her up and let us know how she runs!

I just looked at my ported LS6 pump, it came with a blue o-ring so hopefully she goes in a bit more easier then you have been describing.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
xanax works wonders......

glad you got it all in place, now fire her up and let us know how she runs!

I just looked at my ported LS6 pump, it came with a blue o-ring so hopefully she goes in a bit more easier then you have been describing.
It will go in....look at vettenuts description of how it should feel when it goes in (junior high kids laugh). It should kind of "snap" into place. Try with the old smaller o-ring and it should behave just like that. It should sit flush without the bolt in it.

Quick Reply: blue oil pump o ring