Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute/TEA/Patriot Stage II heads - confused.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Absolute/TEA/Patriot Stage II heads - confused.

I like my Absolute Speed Heads. The flow numbers are awesome and they were purchased at an awesome $. The one suggestion I have is you might look into which head you want 5.7 or 5.3. I went with the 5.3-- higher compression without mill -- which gives you better P/V clearance. I can just about run any cam I want. I went with A S. Cal the vendors and talk to them. They'll help you decide. You will end up feeling more comfortable with one I'm sure.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just another idea. If you plan for your ride to be down, why not have your heads worked and returned to you. Save some $. There are I'm sure local people that know what they are doing. Just because someone isn't a sponsor on ls1 doesn't mean they don't exist or know what they're doing. This is more touchy than picking a cam. I just went through that myself (cam). Every frickin car is different, every driver is different. It truly is nerve racking deciding what to buy. It's tough to base your decision on someone's ets, and dyno #'s only show you what you gained IF you went before and after. They definitely are an invaluable tuning tool if that person knows what he's doing!!! An example of one is my friend Chris puts down 335 rwhp with a 01 Bird TH350, 12 bolt, all suspension goodies, et's, etc and runs 11.40's on a stock motor. Oh well, good luck in your decision, I know I'll need it. Every shop has a different opinion as well, that's how it is. I plan on patriots or tea myself.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

That is a killer deal Jason!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

for gomer on the patriot heads, MTI runs that same came, with a T1 and their S2 heads they average about 409 rwhp, that is right around gomers number, and with tuning. Don't dog on patriot until you have some in front of you. BTW all the venders mentioned are good, just find what you want, valve sizes and so on, and stick with them, then find a price.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

for gomer on the patriot heads, MTI runs that same came, with a T1 and their S2 heads they average about 409 rwhp, that is right around gomers number, and with tuning. Don't dog on patriot until you have some in front of you. BTW all the venders mentioned are good, just find what you want, valve sizes and so on, and stick with them, then find a price.
Exactly... I know my numbers are good.. so for the patriot bashers.. :p. And the ONLY reason I responded to this thread in the first place was because in the ORIGINAL question he asked for combo's that were STREETABLE and would pass EMISSIONS while achieving 400rwhp for around $1,800... that's what my car does. It just so happended that the reason I was able to do it so cheaply was because of the great price I got on my heads.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cant give you dyno numbers yet but I went from running cam only with an XER 224 cam at around 12.1-12.2's in my M6 and after installing the Patriot 5.3 Stage 2's and a Futral cam I CAN notice a BIG SOTP difference.

The question to ask yourself is at what jump in power increase - can you literally feel the difference?

I would have to say they will be putting down good numbers.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

now are you comparing m6 to auto, gomer has a m6. i think they are kinda low #'s too for a 6spd car.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

now are you comparing m6 to auto, gomer has a m6. i think they are kinda low #'s too for a 6spd car.
I never seen where anyone said they had an auto in that quote.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

I never seen where anyone said they had an auto in that quote.
I don't have a pulley, TB, or cutout either. I challenge you to find ANYONE with a cam as small as mine making the numbers I am without a pulley, TB, cutout, or tuning.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'll have some #'s in stages: ls1 speed 224/228 cam, 4.10's, lid, filter, bellows, predator tuning first. Next will be Pacesetter lt's, y pipe, and hooker catback. Then by spring, heads. I'll post my #'s. Have stock tb, pulley, and stock exhaust right now.
Gomer: you should try the TSP lid and see what happens.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:09 PM

honestly, from all of the set ups i have seen come through the shop i feel that most of the head choices produce about the same gains,yet the price is where the real difference is and the customer service

Jay from Abosolute Speed is a great guy and stands behind his work and if/when i do heads on my own personal car i will be going with a set from him
Old 08-05-2003, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Please guys enough of the bench dynoing if I had a pulley or if I had a Ported TB or If I had blah blah blah. Just buck up a few hundred more so there are no excuses or estimates of what you might have had .If you are happy with the #`s you got that should be good enough for you. When I posted my dyno #`s some people were like they should have been higher. There are always some people on the net ( Usually the guys who run 13`s and have almost no mods) will tell you how easy it is to make hp. Just for the record I got my #`s with
No Ported TB
No Cut Out
No Short Belt
No Smooth Bellows
Stock Mass Air
Im sure theres more but this is pointless!!
Are there more ponies to be had? Always
If you are making 400+ RWHP there is no need to cry about what you have because you are making very good power. Just remember there are some guys with 330 hp running mid 11`s . I bought my absolute speed stage 2 heads After going to the track and seeing JFM`s car running 11.0`s with a TR224 cam and A.S. stage 2 heads. I knew if I Put some suspension in my car that # was very doable. I have never been anything but really happy with these heads or the service provided.
As far as patriot bashers I dont think there really are any out there yet. There arent enough results to make any kind of real judgements yet. I and many others are really interested in seeing if there is a head that makes same or more power for less money. It is good for all us customers when prices drop. But I have yet to see any results to tell me that yet. Gomer i Know you are feeling your #`s but If i remember correctly your car made pretty good #`s when you were cam only with that little cam. Your cam is not a bad cam at all. Angie @ thunder racing makes 415 rwhp with that cam and stage 2 heads in a auto that runs 10`s. So it is possible to make great power and go really fast with it. But what the hell do I know.

Jeremy
Old 08-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Teching In

I see this is a sensitive topic. I am sure all the heads make decent power - I guess I have to figure out which makes the most HP for the least $$.
I would love to put a 3000 set of heads on my car, but cost restrictions won't allow this. So I (like the rest of you) am going to try to get the most for my $$.
I have been wanting to do this to my car for 3 years - I finally have the ***** to take the plunge - I am only worried I may go off the deep end. I want to try and do heads/cam/headers for about 3000 - I know gaskets, oil pump, timing chain are going to add to that cost, but this is what I set for a goal. This is why I come here for your suggestions.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

I hand ported a model so I could get the data from it to create the CNC.Hand porting is a form of art work,I'm not arguing that.I just want the CNC to get the credit it deserves.It is a very difficult to duplicate a hand ported model for the CNC.It takes many hours to come up with the final program.
Terry I thought you made copies from TEA heads?didn't you buy some from them?If I am mistaken I am sorry.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hand ported a model so I could get the data from it to create the CNC.Hand porting is a form of art work,I'm not arguing that.I just want the CNC to get the credit it deserves.It is a very difficult to duplicate a hand ported model for the CNC.It takes many hours to come up with the final program.
Terry I thought you made copies from TEA heads?didn't you buy some from them?If I am mistaken I am sorry.
We have a set of TEA stage 1.5 5.3L heads here at the shop, and we also have a set of Patriot stage II 5.3L heads here. There is definitely a difference in the port work, and the flow numbers are not identical. Both companies port a great set of cylinder heads, but they certainly do not look like the same head to us. Every company has their own way of porting cylinder heads to achieve their desired flow and power.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 08-05-2003, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

My heads are not a TEA spin off.Yes,I had a set of them.I also have a set of stage 2 MTI,ARE heads as well.Have you ever heard of measuring the competition.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Absolute/TEA/Patriot Stage II heads - confused. *DELETED*

Post deleted by TVWilkes
Old 08-05-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

This is like buying a car, "Oh my god, you paid what? My friend bought one for 1200 less!" Or a house, "What rate did you lock in on? 6.125879? Jeez, I got 5.982356 %". I think most any of us would be thrilled with the Patriot heads. Trevor is great to deal with as well.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

MAD MAX - Call Jay at Absolute...he has my TEA Stage 2 heads and you can buy them for around $1000. Not sure if you want the TEA heads, but I have flow numbers for them if interested.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

http://www.slowls1.com/tea.htm has a few pics and info on my 1.5 heads

Quick Reply: Absolute/TEA/Patriot Stage II heads - confused.