Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
400rwhp cam only cars are rare in the real world. Get heads.
Theyre not that rare. All you gotta do is find a HOT dyno!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Z28_98
I'll get the graph up soon. My graph says 364 hp, as I was leaving, we checked the WOT and there was some slop in it. That was adjusted so WOT was WOT. We didnt dyno it again, but he said that was prob 10 HP right there. So I call it 375 to make me feel better.

My exhaust is a train wreck to put it nicely.....looooong story. Unfortunatly what $ i have left has to go toward tires so it will pass inspection. My intent is to get the exhaust squared away and then heads. Could be a year or more on that. I know the 98 heads are not the best but they will have to do for now.

I guess I should look at the bright side 305 to 375 HP......not a bad start.

(I'm really trying to stretch this positiveness)
So you gained 70rwhp from a cam swap? Even if this gain was from the cam as well as the bolt ons, I'd be overjoyed! I think you'll be quite pleased once you hit the track.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Theyre not that rare. All you gotta do is find a HOT dyno!
Yep. Hot dynos aren't very rare.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:46 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Fact is you gained 70hp from a cam swap which is great. I think your injectors are fine since the 98s had 28lb injectors where teh 99 and 2000s got the 26.6lb injectors.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well a word on the injectors....My first start brought tears to my eyes, not from being overjoyed fromt eh sound, but from how rich teh exhaust was. enough fuel has never been a prob with this car. My fuel pump went so I put a high flow pump on and like one person said, the 28lb injectors.

That car has never seen a drag strip so I have no before and after strip performance. Its seen auto X, and I beat out a turbo car in my class. Of course that is more technique and suspension geometry than all else.

I have to get tires and rims first and then exhaust system.

Anybody had experience with the Jet Hot Y pipe with the removable cats? Thats what I am looking into. I also am looking into the Borla cat back for $900 and change. It says its adustable. What could be adjustable on an exhaust?

To whoever asked...sorry for got your screen name. I went with a Crane Cam becuase I have a friend of a friend on the inside, and it was a killer deal. I couldnt have gone as agressive as I wanted to at this time becuase I dont have the equipment to flycut. When heads go on.....flycutting will be done and a bigger cam will go in.

I guess I shouldn't be too upset, sounds like I had my expectations too high. I already had one schnook in a mustang want to race me last night. I would think 370 would be enough to pull him huh?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Borla Adj. Exhaust has plates you can switch out to change the note/loudness of the sound. I have a catted Borla w/ no plate (100% noise) w/ my 383 and while it sounds amazing, its probably robbing me of power.

If you're ready to throw down 900$ for a Borla, if I were you I'd get on the phone w/ an exhaust shop and get some duals fabbed.

Oh and the Mustang, good chance you'll take him w/ ease unless he uses giggle gas or is an 03-04 Cobra. Thats what 2 outta 3 is for though, maybe he'll pop his motor the second time around hah.

Last edited by Masochist; 05-07-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

I also have the borla, with NO CATS. she is def a bit loud. I dont have it 100% i have the second widest hole in there, and there is a lot of air coming out. I will be camming my car this weekend. Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well a word on the injectors....My first start brought tears to my eyes, not from being overjoyed fromt eh sound, but from how rich teh exhaust was. enough fuel has never been a prob with this car. My fuel pump went so I put a high flow pump on and like one person said, the 28lb injectors.

That car has never seen a drag strip so I have no before and after strip performance. Its seen auto X, and I beat out a turbo car in my class. Of course that is more technique and suspension geometry than all else.

I have to get tires and rims first and then exhaust system.

Anybody had experience with the Jet Hot Y pipe with the removable cats? Thats what I am looking into. I also am looking into the Borla cat back for $900 and change. It says its adustable. What could be adjustable on an exhaust?

To whoever asked...sorry for got your screen name. I went with a Crane Cam becuase I have a friend of a friend on the inside, and it was a killer deal. I couldnt have gone as agressive as I wanted to at this time becuase I dont have the equipment to flycut. When heads go on.....flycutting will be done and a bigger cam will go in.

I guess I shouldn't be too upset, sounds like I had my expectations too high. I already had one schnook in a mustang want to race me last night. I would think 370 would be enough to pull him huh?
I would have expected a bit higher numbers, atleast in the 380's-390's. If you are going to drop $900 on just a catback, you should get a magnaflow for $400 (same stainless steel as borla and just as free-flowing), a cutout for $50, and a custom ORY with a good merge (flowmaster makes a good one). That will definetly bring the power up a bit and then you have a few hundred left over for something else, ie, tires, wheels, gears, etc. But that just one opinion and it IS your car but just thought I would throw it out there. Let us know what you do or if you have any other questions or where to find the best deals.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The exhaust is a big debate. I used to (used to) have true duals 3" coming out the sides in front of each rear tire. That lasted 15 miles. (piece of retread in road at 80 mph). We salvaged what we could and made a more traditional exhaust. The exhaust man came highly recommended, but i will not go back. I just dont know of anyone reputable around here as I am not a native.

I would love true duals back, but i dont want it dumped under the car at the rear end, I would prefer it out the back. I know that would most likely require going to 2.5" pipe and who knows what I would do for a muffler. I need cats becasue they do visual inspections here.

Magnaflow came off as a bit quiet to me.....LS1sounds is hard to tell without being there in person. The shop that did the tune recommended Borla, and I have heard those in person, but the price......hope they throw in some KY with that.

So that is my plight exhaust wise.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing to note is this tuner's dyno is a big drum dynojet which typically run a little lower numbers than some other dynos.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a cutout, the magnaflow will not be quiet...at least when mine is open, she screams.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

What dose that y pipe look like? A friend of mine had an exhaust shop make his y pipe and it look like a pretzel.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

374hp/ 348 tq from my combo.... The numbers in my sig are my fastest pass which came in first round of eliminations an i was actually on the breaks. Not only that but itd hit the limiter from the 2-3 shift. So if i didnt lift and the shift didnt hit the limiter, it prolly wooda gone an 11.45 @ 119 flat... Would you be dissapointed with that?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes my Y, has kind of a kink in it on the drvier side to the merge. 119 flat is nice and I would be happy with that!!!!!

In an exhaust I am looking for an open header sound toned down a bit so you can keep your thoughts while driving and loud enough to make the lope in the cam heard. Even with a cutout closed I want something loud at least when i am WOT.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

you need a magnaflow or a hooker, best flow for the money in catbacks, also some heads would help
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I found the Magnaflo for $470 and change. Anyone think thats the best I will do?

I have a cutout already.

Now the Y. I need something with cats that can bolt on Hooker LT's with 3" collectors. Any suggestions?

When thats all said and done, where would you put the dump? In the middle of the Y or elsewhere?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Well I found the Magnaflo for $470 and change. Anyone think thats the best I will do?

Now the Y. I need something with cats that can bolt on Hooker LT's with 3" collectors. Any suggestions?

When thats all said and done, where would you put the dump? In the middle of the Y or elsewhere?
I have never heard anything good about the magflo on the LS1's. Does Hooker make a Y?

Bill
Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bill are you talking nothing good about the Magnaflow exhaust or Y? I havnt checked Hooker for a Y to be honest. I found a catted y for Hookers at TSP and one with Jet Hot. About $90 difference in the 2.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

numbers look good to me...bout what i made camonly....

take it to the track
Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Bill are you talking nothing good about the Magnaflow exhaust or Y? I havnt checked Hooker for a Y to be honest. I found a catted y for Hookers at TSP and one with Jet Hot. About $90 difference in the 2.
I have heard that Magnaflow exhaust do not work well with LS1's. I still have the SLP D/D. I would love to go to the GMMG.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Bowling; 05-08-2008 at 03:18 PM.