Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most powerful cam for Ls1 with power under the curve???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
I just remembered why I stay out of this section most of the time..

Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my TR224. It's a great cam for your goal......... But, it may only be an 11.9765 second cam in your car. For me it runs for hours and hours.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

PM Thatboyvic. He has the Megadeath cam in his GTO. It is a pretty big cam and not what I would be looking at in a DD.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so I exaggerated on 500..lol with headers,intake and such its usually like a mid 400 430-450, the point was its a hard cam to drive on the streets, and when I said 10sec cam I just meant thats the number im usually seeing from people with that cam, if there running slicks of course.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fccs
Ok so I exaggerated on 500..lol with headers,intake and such its usually like a mid 400 430-450, the point was its a hard cam to drive on the streets, and when I said 10sec cam I just meant thats the number im usually seeing from people with that cam, if there running slicks of course.

You should drink antifreeze.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should leave the internal engine section immediately, you shouldnt be giving advice if you dont know what your talking about. 400+ takes a good size cam in itself, to make 430-450 your usually talking a good ported head/BIG cam setup full boltons and a great tune. And slicks dont mean **** if your drivetrain isnt all there.This is in reference to a stock cube motor

Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

I don't see a cam in your mod list. How can you possibly advise someone else on a cam for there car with no first hand experience.

Back to the OP, I will give you my first hand experience. I was in the same boat as you I wanted to shove a big stick in my car. But I wanted lots of torque cause I am street only NO Track. So I wanted something fun(torque) to drive on the street. I quickly found they don't go together. There is pros/cons with all the cams you listed above. First thing first, do alot of research!!! There is a lot more to it than picking out the biggest stick available, like others have said. Supporting mods/tune are all necessary to make the kind of numbers you see others make. I highly recommend getting a custom cam for what you want, as I did. Not saying there is anything wrong with OTS cams. If you want to use your car for a certain purpose with certain mods, a custom cam will give you your maximum gains. You wanted to see a dyno graph, I have posted mine for you with my mods in my sig. I love the cam, I have no problems at all. If it was my D/D car it wouldn't be a problem at all in traffic. I am by no means an expert, I just know where your coming from cause I was there. So this was my experience when deciding on a cam. Hope this helps you.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

those are GREAT numbers for your setup Mike
Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MIKE02WS6
I don't see a cam in your mod list. How can you possibly advise someone else on a cam for there car with no first hand experience.

Back to the OP, I will give you my first hand experience. I was in the same boat as you I wanted to shove a big stick in my car. But I wanted lots of torque cause I am street only NO Track. So I wanted something fun(torque) to drive on the street. I quickly found they don't go together. There is pros/cons with all the cams you listed above. First thing first, do alot of research!!! There is a lot more to it than picking out the biggest stick available, like others have said. Supporting mods/tune are all necessary to make the kind of numbers you see others make. I highly recommend getting a custom cam for what you want, as I did. Not saying there is anything wrong with OTS cams. If you want to use your car for a certain purpose with certain mods, a custom cam will give you your maximum gains. You wanted to see a dyno graph, I have posted mine for you with my mods in my sig. I love the cam, I have no problems at all. If it was my D/D car it wouldn't be a problem at all in traffic. I am by no means an expert, I just know where your coming from cause I was there. So this was my experience when deciding on a cam. Hope this helps you.

A setup like yours looks perfect.....I mainly want the big stick, because I want the big choppy idle.....but like you, i drive my car (i dont mind mileage going down, i dont mind several issues of a cammed car....i've had a few cammed ls1's already) and i want lots of torque throught the powerband to pull this heavy *** 3700lb GTO.

As for the TR224 cam....it makes good torque, but it doesnt have a choppy enough idle for me.

Thanks for the great info guys! Keep it coming!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
just remembered why I stay out of this section most of the time..

Originally Posted by MontereyLS1
Wow.....Never thought I'd get a response as stupid as that. I guess I'll just keep searching through people's dyno numbers.
Actually, Stang's wasn't the stupid response. He was correct. I'll be nice and not go further with that.....

You might listen to MIKE02 for some pretty good advice.

FWIW, one cam on your original list wasn't too far off. I'm guessing one or two posters would choose the same one, given only those five.

Jon
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

A setup like yours looks perfect.....I mainly want the big stick, because I want the big choppy idle.....but like you, i drive my car (i dont mind mileage going down, i dont mind several issues of a cammed car....i've had a few cammed ls1's already) and i want lots of torque throught the powerband to pull this heavy *** 3700lb GTO.

As for the TR224 cam....it makes good torque, but it doesnt have a choppy enough idle for me.

The sticks that you named above do not produce alot of torque for playing on the street. You are wanting your cake and eat it too. In one sentence you say you want the biggest stick possible. Then the next sentence you want tons of torque to pull your heavy sled. We all here wish that was possible but its not. This is where you need to decide what you want to do with your car and then pick the right stick. The stick is the brain of your motor. It makes all the decisions.

As for my car, street car right. Look at my graph. At what rpms are you always in when driving on the street? And where does my cam make all its power all the time? Case in point, I got what I wanted, and I think it might be what your looking for. My opinion for you(custom cam). My car is not a D/D, I was just stating with the cam I have, I could very very easily drive it daily. Which looks like what your looking for. As for lope, mine lopes very very heavy. Which is also what I wanted. You can definitly tell without a doubt there is a stick in the car. BUT, I do not have a "Big" cam. I have heard a lot of "smaller" cams lope very heavy also.......its all in the tune

Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
A custom cam...PM Patrick G or Predator Z. They'll spec you a cam designed exactly for your needs.
I can attest to that one!!! Got the Torquer cam here!! OMG it PULLS!!!!!! VERY streetable and it seems to make it's power at about 2500 rpm up.. TQ that is...

IMO, too many people are over camming these LS1's now.. You'd be surprised at how well the modest cams (ie: 224R) perform versus the giant/peak # cams..
Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have the TSP 233/239 cam. I love it. I think you will too. As high end as it is, it still has great torque. As far as driveability..It drives like stock. Its amazing, as long as I have the radio up loud, I cannot tell I have a cam..untill I get into it of course. Its a 233/239 .598/.603 on a 112+1 LSA. If you want chop, it has it. Go to the website on this post and view the video of my car on the dyno. It made 390rwhp. stayed above 300rw from 4000rpm on. made 380rwtq staying above 310rw from 3000rpm on. For now only other mods I have is full exhaust, intake, and an MTI tune.

http://www.fquick.com/00LSS1Bowtie
Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

If you like the TR224 curve, get the TR 230 it will have a very mean chop.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a choppy idle so bad why not get the specs of the cam to make the most power and just change the LSA to get more lope. I am new to the whole cam thing but it seems that I have noticed the LSA and overlap plays big in the sound of the cam.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

I've got a dead horse that doesn't get beat as much as this question.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
If you want a choppy idle so bad why not get the specs of the cam to make the most power and just change the LSA to get more lope. I am new to the whole cam thing but it seems that I have noticed the LSA and overlap plays big in the sound of the cam.
Because changing the LSA will change the valve events and the curve enough so that you will LOSE AREA UNDER THE CURVE.

DO NOT PICK A CAM BASED ON THE IDLE!!!! THEY WILL ALL IDLE ROUGH ENOUGH TO SHAKE YOUR ***** BOYS.

I still find it funny that all of those cams but one is decent as a "area under the curve" cam. Why if you are looking for area under the curve are you picking the cams that are dyno queen, sell more cams, high peak HP number cams?

It's really sad that in 10 years nobody has made a cam to compete with the TR224. Mostly due to posts like this that promote big cams that aren't drivable and every guy thinking that his TR224 cam isin't that big and he could have handled more.

Jes
Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

out of the cams you listed, the g5x2 is the only one remotely close to your wants/desires. the other cams will make a little bitch out of you and your car. i'd look into a custom grind high 220s/low 230s on a 110 lsa. it will lope like you want and make good power everywhere. consult patrick g for further advice regarding cam selection.

the other 4 cams you listed require A LOT of attention to detail with regard to setup and tuning. your gto's stock gearing and weight will make you cry at the thought of most any cam with exception to the stock one. use your head, don't choose a cam based on sound, that is the most ignorant choice you can make. without a cam swap you'll spend the remainder of your car's life trying to work around the engine...not fun, been there.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Futral F13.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

LOL if your aiming for 400+, 1st off you def don't need that big of a cam and 2nd off a TREX cam will put you over 500+ in many cases. I've been in a car with that cam and its massive, a MUST tune cam. With a full exhaust, intake, trex, and a good tune you should easily be over 500+rwhp, those are 10second cams. If you want 400 Id look at something as small as even a 224 or 228 with a full exhaust people usually hit 400 give or take a few 10hp.
500rwhp, I think not. The t rex and Mega Death have very similar specs. He will be around 400-410 with the mods you listed. If he wants to come close to 500 he will need AFR head, Fast 92 Ported and all suporting mods.

I speak from experience as this is my current setup.

Patriot LS6 stage II 59cc Heads, Mega Death 244/242 .612/.610 112LSA, Ported Fast 90, NW 90, Kooks 1 7/8 catless, Borla Exhaust, UD pulley etc.

And I am making 480rwhp 460tq as my sig shows. A 10 second car not even close cam only in the GTO, he will need Pedders Track setup some slicks and Nitrous to get there!

Quick Reply: Most powerful cam for Ls1 with power under the curve???