Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of destroking an LS this much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
500 fwhp in a 283/292 cube NA engine that is streetable is a BIG challenge. Sure the small stroke allows lots of r's, but you will quickly become valvetrain limited. Even if you use 7500 as a never-to-exceed number, and look for max power @ 6800-7000, you still have to be making 375 lb-ft of torque at 7000 or 1.28 lb-ft/cube at power peak rpm. This is possible, but not cheap, and there aren't a lot of guys who could do it for you and still keep it driveable.

As far as the cross ram shown here, the runner length isn't all that far off the LS series intakes, so one could be fabbed which both looked good and made the power you want.

FWIW, the first 5.7L engine used in the GM Racing Cadillac CTS-R had a 7L LS7 bore (4.125) with a 4.8L stroke(~3.27). It initially ran to 7900 but after one race it was mandated to about 7100 max rpm so the DOHC competition could keep up. The crank in the race engne was NOT a 4.8L production crank.

I'd either call a built 4.8L a ".060 over 283" or just fib a little and call it a 283. It will save you $3-$5K and 3-4 months in the build.

Good luck with you car.

Jon
Jon, excellent info again.

I'd like 500 hp, but yes streetability I'm sure would be an issue.

450hp+ I'm sure is fine and should work on the street. I'm not going to competitively race it.

I was hoping the 302 cross ram could be modified fairly reasonably for the LS.

I have talked to a very well respected engine builder, but we haven't discussed what bore and stroke will be used.

Yes, going in I knew the crank I need will be custom and fairly expensive.

Thanks,

Skip

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of destroking an LS this much?