Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need to have my internals balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Do I really need to have my internals balanced?

robertbartsch
...so they found the lightest connecting rod in the bunch and removed material from all other rods to make them all the same weight, right?

Then the bobweight was determined and the crank was balanced to this weight, right?

About how much di this cost?

Unfortunately I left the details to the experts, I didn't hang out and watch.

I would've thought the rods would be exactly the same. It's possible that they took some weight off the piston ends for other reasons. Now that I look at the pics, it looks like they couldn't push any more balance towards the front counterweight.

They determined bob weights from the weight of the pistons, pins, rods, bearings, and rings.

Balancing cost about $150. The shop cleaned and inspected the block, and honed the cylinders to fit to the piston specs, and also had to hone the rods for the piston pins. All that for another $100. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for asking this Todd. I might want to do this if I do my Iron block set up next year.

Since were on the subject, I have a few questions:

When it's said "Balanced & Blueprinted", what does this really mean?

If I do get my short block Balanced & Blueprinted, does the place that does this, also put everything together for you for the price?

The reason I ask these questions is I really don't have the know how to build a short block by myself.

Any other info you might have, please share...

Thanks,

Bill
Old 08-11-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blueprinting - Someone else can answer this better than I, but here's my shot.

When a motor is first built (due to manufacturing tolerances) or after wear, the dimensions may no not be the same dimensions specified in the original engineering blueprint.

Crank and cam bores may not be straight, decks may not be flat, bores may become oval. Same goes for rotating components, they can get bent or worn. A motor out of spec may work fine for a daily driver (imagine very slightly bent crank or rods), but may not last in all environments.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Does not usually include assembly Bill. There are other things involved with assembly and it takes a little time. Such as file fitting the rings (16 of them individually) and checking clearances on main and rod bearings. This will add to the cost for sure.

I will assemble everything myself to save a few bucks. There's not much to it after you've done a few.