Sponsored by:

Blown Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Engine?

Ready for a story?

Im in the counrty and when it rains the roads flood so ive driven over this flooded bridge about 5 6 times, no problem.
Im in the middle of moving into a new house so im at the old house today and it starts raining like hell well a street in the neighborhood is flooded well it looks like it wont be a problem so im like ok its like the bridge ill just drive through it.

I start to drive through it and the car bogs down and cuts off im like great now i have to get out push it out and let it dry. I open the door and the water is up to the door seal. If i step out water is going to get in the car. I see the neighbors comming out to look at the flood they have and they see me and push my out. Im like ok that was cool ill let it sit for a bit.

I go to crank it up and this is where thing go bad. So i start it and it sounds like a** sounds like a threw a rod or spun a bearing like a hammer hitting wood hard a fast but loud as hell, im trying to figuer out what has happened.

I push it back to the driveway that is like 50 yards away. Let it sit some more. I go out again and try all the gears it wont go into 6th. I start it up again same noise. It goes in every gear while knocking like hell but im getting no pressure on the oil guage. So i turn it off fast. I let it sit some more check the oil and its fine.

I think its blown any ideas? Sounds blown
Old 08-15-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Blown Engine?

It probably sucked up a good amount of water...hydrolocked....
Old 08-15-2003, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Explain Hydrolock to me what all is involved? Sounds bad to me.
17,000 miles warranty should cover this right?
Old 08-15-2003, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Water getting sucked up into the motor, do you have any aftermarket ram air, like the F.T.R.A, that will for sure suck up water...

I'm not sure how warranty would handle that....
Old 08-15-2003, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

no alls i have done to the car is a slp lid and LM catback
Old 08-15-2003, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is a good chance still if the whole front end of the car was exposed to some deep water, if it was past the air dam, I would think it might bring the water up the air damn, check your filter to see if its wet...
Old 08-15-2003, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

So in simple terms if the egine hydrolocked its done for need a new one I like how fast you guys responed this isnt bad for my first posts ya think. Car is at the other house will have to check it in the morning.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

If water is somehow ingested into the engine, the piston cannot compress the water and the engine literally locks up. Typically, rods will bend or pistons will break among other damage.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

yea, defiently check it out, yea, the motor doesn't really survive after water is exposed to it...
Old 08-15-2003, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like im going to be without a car for awhile. Have any clue on how to present this one the the dealership?
Old 08-15-2003, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

not sure, I'm sure someone else will respond to this on how to handle it, its happened to people before...
Old 08-15-2003, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

New to the board as well, where would be the best place to post a topic on hydrolock and dealership right here in internal engine or under a differnt catagory?
Old 08-15-2003, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

This should work well for now, if not you could probably make a post about warranty issues in the racers lounge....
Old 08-15-2003, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. I have been on LS1.coms forum and Camaroz28's forum and this one has been the quickest and nicest forum yet. Think ill be here awhile. Must be something to do with the LS1 in the url thats y you guys are so fast around here. I post about hydrolock and warranty im off to be thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had my old mustang stall in some water a long time ago, and was literally floating in a foot of water in the snow. Anyhow, after the water drained out of the exhaust I was able to start it and it ran like crap for a couple miles, then ran normally again. Seems like the water would have to be pretty high to hydrolock the engine. Sound more like a bunch of water getting in the exhaust, and maybe some of electrical connection got wet.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went through a stream once in my 89'firebird, water splashing over the head lights, water halfway up the door, back end started floating, managed to get to the other side with the engine running and luckerly no damage done. Lucky escape.

Hope you can get your car sorted at the delership.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen this type of damage repaired by insurance. I did a Sunbird at a dealership once. The lady was leaving her house and did not think the water would be as deep as it was. Hers would not turn over at all though. Get an estimate, get the check, by a used short block, buys lots of hi-perf goodies
Just my .02 not sure if they will handle a claim for that or not but I have seen it done.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

That happened to my old TPI car. I drove about 20 feet before it locked up. Mine wouldn't start at all, so I took out all of the plugs out and bumped the ignition a couple of times. A bunch of junk came out, then I changed the oil and plugs and it ran fine.

Are you sure the oil is okay? If the motor ingested enough water to seize it, the oil will look and feel milky similar
to a blown head gasket.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think one of posts said no oil pressure. Is it posiable it crushed a rod bearing or two and that is the noise and loss of oil pressure?
Old 08-15-2003, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

yes the oil pressure guage wasnt reading at all it was at 0. i checked the oil though it was fine. I know for a fact its screwed i tried to start it this morning and oh my god jus sounds like metal crushing. Anyone know of a good shop in Charlotte I know Moore performance is in Charlotte but they are high as hell.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine?