Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YTs and shim kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default YTs and shim kits

Has anyone had to use a shim kit other than the ones provided with their YTs? If so, which one(s) did you use?

I have the older style (BNIB) that I had taken down to my engine builder to be installed on my forged 347 along with the PRC heads.

using the instructions he ended up using the shims that were provided but said they valvetrain was much too noisy for his taste. As a result he put the stockers back on and the engine sounds like a sewing machine.

When I picked up the car, he told me that if i wanted to use the YTs I would have to buy a seperate shimkit that had different size shims so we could properly match them.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pushrods?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Pushrods?
PRs are 7.4s and heads are 64cc. or are you suggesting going with a longer PR to compensate for the shims?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I needed a thicker shim than supplied for my AFR's. I ended up getting the correct shim from McMaster-Carr after figuring it out by checking the wipe using some various washers. Once I got a good wipe, I measured the washer stack and ordered the correct shim thickness. Once the correct wipe is set, you will likely need new pushrods to adjust lifter preload.

Here is a link to how I shimmed mine: Link

Here is a link to further discussion on this: Link
Old 06-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No I was asking if pushrods length was checked.. thats why the ? mark.. lol No one said anything about verifying geometry just that it sounded like a sewing maching so I was asking if one of the varibles had been looked at.

smaller bc on the cam .? my YT and AFRs were fine but the bc on the cam was smaller and so required a different pushrod

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-27-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
No I was asking if pushrods length was checked.. thats why the ? mark.. lol No one said anything about verifying geometry just that it sounded like a sewing maching so I was asking if one of the varibles had been looked at.

smaller bc on the cam .? my YT and AFRs were fine but the bc on the cam was smaller and so required a different pushrod
Unfortunately, the YT instructions indicate the shim is for lifter preload. Man I hate those instructions, they are very mis-leading.