Sponsored by:

Checking Stock Heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checking Stock Heads

Hello,

I have a set of heads lying in my garage and I want to check if my all my valves are sealing. The heads are currently off the block. What can I do to see if they are sealing all the way.

Tilly
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Out of all the experience here, no one can tell me how to check to see if my valves are sealing with the heads off the car?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Launching!

with old sbc heads we used to pour some gasoline in the combustion chamber and see if it leaked through the valves, don't know of any way other than that.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If there is any doubt, why not get a valve job anyways. The heads are off the car might as well do it. Its worth the money to do it and be sure and its not that expensive, thats just my .02
Old 07-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
If there is any doubt, why not get a valve job anyways. The heads are off the car might as well do it. Its worth the money to do it and be sure and its not that expensive, thats just my .02
I like this route much more
Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would just lap them. A valve job can end up with mis-matched stem heights and other issues. Lapping will ensure a good seal unless there is a mechanical issue.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a write up on lapping my valves?

And what is the typical cost of a valve job?

I have been trying to decide on of these 2 to do. There is a lot of carbon build up in one of the combustion chambers. MY father says I should lap the valves and I have buddy of mine (my LS1 expert) saying I should do a valve job.

So what would be the best way of making sure those valve will be sealed, because I do not want to take these heads off AGAIN. Unless I am changing the motor.

Tilly

P.S. I do like that gasoline idea tho. Did not think of that but won't do it tho.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Valve job costs a couple hundred or so, depending on what you get done/ I would get them hot tanked/milled true/ and a valve job, I would find a place that knows what they are doing or has worked on lsx head's before, I'd call and ask or even make a visit and check places out and see if they have dealt with ls heads because as vettenuts stated there can be an issue of stem heights, but as long as its done properly and installed height is checked you should be fine