Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun bearing ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
They probably run tolerances loose enough for 15w50 though.
When you learn the difference between "tolerance" and "clearance" you'll sound way more credible.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Your posts are kind of amusing when read in series.
Your point is???

I gave two scenarios that are plausible with the rod bearing being the more likely of the two.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
Your point is???

I gave two scenarios that are plausible with the rod bearing being the more likely of the two.
If it's a spun rod bearing, where did the aluminum shavings in his oil come from?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you learn the difference between "tolerance" and "clearance" you'll sound way more credible.
That's what I meant, clearance. I still measure it the same way. I know what I'm looking for.

Like today when I was golfing this morning. I hit a drive that hooked left. My friend said I almost sliced it into the woods. A slice for a right handed player would be a ball that curves to the far right of the target, not the left.. but I didn't hang him up for it, I knew what he meant.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it's a spun rod bearing, where did the aluminum shavings in his oil come from?
Saying it is aluminum is also assuming, if these shavings were found clinging on the magnetic drain plug which I would suspect is the case since the engine is not torn apart yet then it probably is steel bearing material.

Aluminum is non-magnetic which of course you know being a metal expert.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's what I meant, clearance. I still measure it the same way. I know what I'm looking for.

Like today when I was golfing this morning. I hit a drive that hooked left. My friend said I almost sliced it into the woods. A slice for a right handed player would be a ball that curves to the far right of the target, not the left.. but I didn't hang him up for it, I knew what he meant.
Nice metaphor.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

You measure tolerance with a micrometer? How's that work?

On second thought forget it, please don't try to think up another answer...
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
Saying it is aluminum is also assuming, if these shavings were found clinging on the magnetic drain plug which I would suspect is the case since the engine is not torn apart yet then it probably is steel bearing material.

Aluminum is non-magnetic which of course you know being a metal expert.
The guy said there was aluminum in his oil.

I tend to believe people know what they're talking about until they prove otherwise. As in your case. Try learning the difference between magnetism and ferrous metal content. (hint: your steel bearing shells won't attract ferrous metal, will they?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

The guy said there was aluminum in his oil.

I tend to believe people know what they're talking about until they prove otherwise. As in your case. Try learning the difference between magnetism and ferrous metal content. (hint: your steel bearing shells won't attract ferrous metal, will they?
The guy also doesnt know if he should get his motor machined after a spun bearing so I would say its safe to assume he might not know the difference between aluminum and steel shavings on an oil drain plug. I dont say that to be offensive so no pun intented.

Most of time you spin a bearing in these motors the bearing material is in the oil and most of time its a rod bearing. Freshen the crank and rebuild, plain and simple.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You measure tolerance with a micrometer? How's that work?

On second thought forget it, please don't try to think up another answer...
No no no.. I measure CLEARANCE... good lord.. Crainholio, will you please forgive my improper diction? It's sunday, and my brain gets the day off.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

sorry for the feuding in here... after reading all the post.. it is metal that was in the oil cause like stated in here a few post earlier... the shavings were on the magnetic plug.. so these shavings are more likely from what... the bearing or..? On a good note.. i found a ls1 guy here in nm that is gonna help me out on my car...not the wait begins for the money till aug
Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1inNM
sorry for the feuding in here... after reading all the post.. it is metal that was in the oil cause like stated in here a few post earlier... the shavings were on the magnetic plug.. so these shavings are more likely from what... the bearing or..? On a good note.. i found a ls1 guy here in nm that is gonna help me out on my car...not the wait begins for the money till aug
If the debris is attracted to your magnetic plug, they're not aluminum. This might be good news.

It's possible that you've had a lifter fail and score up the cam, both are made of ferrous metal which would show up on your magnet. Potentially fixable in-car depending on the failure, but you'd be pulling the heads to inspect for the condition.

Quick Reply: spun bearing ?