Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun bearing ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spun bearing ?

Im getting ready to have my engine torn apart to replace what we are thinking are broken bearings... a friend of my dad was saying that you dont have to take the motor out and machine the crank... he was saying to just drop the oil pan and replace those broken bearings... im thinking this sounds wrong.... to draw a pic for you guys.. this all happened after a few high way pulls against my friend's evo... the very last race we were going for was off of a roll on a street and I screwed up and down shifted by hand the auto tranny... when it was time to go to 2nd... the tranny stayed in first and just started bouncing of the rev limiter...also had alum shavings in oil... MY question is.. it does have to be opened right.. not just replace the bad bearings
Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

remove the engine take it to a machine shop and do everything correctly.
crank might be scrached from the broken or spum bearing.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your friend is incorrect. If you spun a bearing it needs to be torn completly down and have the crank turned. Rebuild the entire engine.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can just replace the bearings but god knows how long its going to last and what it will tear up the next time round.. i had a 79 bronco 4x4 460cid back in the day and it would spin rod bearings so eveytime id get a bearing .002 and throw it in there..always lasted about 4 or so months..but i thrash the **** out of just about everything..
Old 07-06-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1inNM
...a friend of my dad was saying that you dont have to take the motor out and machine the crank... he was saying to just drop the oil pan and replace those broken bearings...
This is true, for farm tractors.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We dont even use the block if had a spun bearing.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
We dont even use the block if had a spun bearing.
That doesnt make much sense. Whats the idea behind that?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
That doesnt make much sense. Whats the idea behind that?
You'd want to understand the conditions present during a bearing failure. The bearing gets hot enough to weld itself to the crank, and then spins inside the block's bearing saddles.

On iron blocks, it's common to see the metal discolored from the temperatures reached during the failure.

When a block is locally heated and annealed in this manner, it's scrap.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry let me clarify, more than often than not on an ls1 aluminum block when it spins a bearing on the ones we've found it was better to not re-use the block. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Sorry let me clarify, more than often than not on an ls1 aluminum block when it spins a bearing on the ones we've found it was better to not re-use the block. Sorry for the confusion.
Why not reuse the block? All it takes if you spin a main bearing is a simple align hone to the block and mains if they are smeared or nicked up at all.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Why not reuse the block? All it takes if you spin a main bearing is a simple align hone to the block and mains if they are smeared or nicked up at all.
Post what you know about heat treatment and annealing of aluminum and we'll go from there.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the motor out of my car, had the crank spun, installed new bearings and rods and dropped her back in. Probably not the best way to do it, but it was pretty cheap considering the alternatives.

BTW, I would definately suggest buying a forged shortblock from one of the sponsers in lui of this. I just didn't have the coin at the time.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crainholio
You'd want to understand the conditions present during a bearing failure. The bearing gets hot enough to weld itself to the crank, and then spins inside the block's bearing saddles.

On iron blocks, it's common to see the metal discolored from the temperatures reached during the failure.

When a block is locally heated and annealed in this manner, it's scrap.
even though it's different, its the same in the case of what we do where i work: we make feedwater heaters, MSR's, condensors, ETC...basically heat exchangers for powerplants. once a certain part is completed and bought off by inspection, it's released to go into the stress oven. all the welded parts are brought up to a certain temperature, and allowed to cool back down SLOWLY. once the stress process has been completed, we aren't allowed to weld anywhere on a stressed part because it will eventually lead to failure of the unit.

the principle is the same on an engine block, when you apply lots of heat to one specific spot (like a bearing spinning), without doing the same to the rest of the block, it will be weakened drastically in relation to the rest of the block. the fact that it's an aluminum block (with steel main caps as well) would amplify the effect somewhat. it would probably be difficult, if possible, to detect with a magnaflux test. an ultrasound would be the only way to see. the microstructure of the metal is permanently changed. it's the point where the affected metal and unaffected metal meet that can cause failure.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Post what you know about heat treatment and annealing of aluminum and we'll go from there.
Is this the heat treatment expert I am speaking to or something?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

The OP more than likely spun a rod bearing not a main bearing. Spun rod bearings are way more common on an LS1 than spinning mains. Spinning a rod bearing has no affect on the block.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

All it takes if you spin a main bearing is a simple align hone to the block and mains if they are smeared or nicked up at all.
The OP more than likely spun a rod bearing not a main bearing. Spun rod bearings are way more common on an LS1 than spinning mains. Spinning a rod bearing has no affect on the block.
Is this the heat treatment expert I am speaking to or something?
Your posts are kind of amusing when read in series.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^^ correct
Old 07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a burnt(not spun) rod bearing with severe rod knock. I dropped the pan removed the cap and stoned the crank by hand. 15 hrs.! Motor was fine lasted for years. This is why I don't run thick oil any more. 20w-50 is what burnt the bearing.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99.9percenter
I had a burnt(not spun) rod bearing with severe rod knock. I dropped the pan removed the cap and stoned the crank by hand. 15 hrs.! Motor was fine lasted for years. This is why I don't run thick oil any more. 20w-50 is what burnt the bearing.
Which is why Bondurant Racing School runs Mobil-1 15W-50 in their fleet of LSx engines, they like "burnt" bearings. Whatever "burnt" means.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which is why Bondurant Racing School runs Mobil-1 15W-50 in their fleet of LSx engines, they like "burnt" bearings. Whatever "burnt" means.
They probably run tolerances loose enough for 15w50 though. If they're a racing school they know better Sounds to me like 99.9 put some 20w50 in a stock bottom end. Which at cooler temperatures MIGHT be too thick to properly oil the bearings. Especially if it was run hard before the oil temp got up to 160+.

Quick Reply: spun bearing ?