Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hope this is the right place to ask, but have I hurt my car by running 87?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my apology i was misinformed, octain rating is not something i learned at UTI its some thing that i just heard of but i guess i heard wrong... will you go into detail with it i really wanna learn about it.. why would the mix 93 and 87 to ake 91 and whats the difference i the purification of the different octaines

on a side note and no offence but how long your on LS1tech doesn't really determine how much you know about cars.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fotis
teach us oh great one you obviously know everythng us mear mortal are just stupid.... please forgive me for speaking out oh great one... i must have mistaked it for the truth..... and i was definatly taught wrong at UTI i mean 90 credited hours of education and they tought me wrong.... you should probably distroy them oh great and smart one...

STFU
i normally read completely thru a thread befor i comment so not to repeat what has been said but you my friend need to get a refund for 100 credit hrs of waisted money. yes the computer learns what gas is in it, thats y they have two tables specificaly called "low octane timing" and oh get this "high octane timing" when the knock sensor detects knock a repeated amount of times in the same load/rpm range it starts to pull the timing down to the low octane table, and continues to use this untill it goes along time without knock in that area. so after years of running low octane yes it has completely learned to use only the low octane table, and takes time to restore full timing there mr UTI extradanear
Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Resident

well my apology i was misinformed, octain rating is not something i learned at UTI its some thing that i just heard of but i guess i heard wrong... will you go into detail with it i really wanna learn about it.. why would the mix 93 and 87 to ake 91 and whats the difference i the purification of the different octaines

on a side note and no offence but how long your on LS1tech doesn't really determine how much you know about cars.
i still need to go back and read the rest of the thread but this just happend to be above the post i just made so here is just a little i know about gas. im no exspert but ive been around for awhile and learned a thing or three along the way. the higher the octane the the SLOWER the gas burns, yes you heard right. most would just automatically ASSusme the oposite but the reason this benifits is it raises the flash point. it takes more heat to combust it. the reason you benifit from this with high compression is the higher the compression the more cilynder pressure and thus more heat is generated. if you run a low octane/low flash point fuel then you will have pre ignition(detonation) issues. the gas will try to ignite too early while the piston is still on the upstroke. thus the reason for less ignition timing with lower octane. and the need for higher octane to perform. there are also two standerd ways to obtain a given octane rating. one is called motor octane and is better suited to higher rpm and exstreem conditions and the other is research octane and more suited to cruising and lower rpm tq. the rating at the pump(this is on must pumps if you read them) is achieved by the R+M/2 method. which is research octane rating + motor octane divided by 2 for the challended. this is the reason your car very well could run better on one brand of 93 vs another. one stations specs may call for more or less of one of the two octanes to achieve the average pump rating. most race gas is simply rated in motor octane only instead of the R+M/2 method. those who work in the refinery/chemisty industy feel free to add to this. hope this has help clear up any misconceptions about how hot or big gas burns.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

that last novel was alittle off topic tho relivant i think. but alittle more on topic. if it wasnt for the fail safe's built into todays cars we would not be able to simply put 87 in these cars without issue. they specifically designed them with high and low octane tables and defaults for whatever goes wrong. without the ability to pull timing(knock sensor) and keep it there till it see's that its safe to restore it, then we would hurt our cars. gm knew befor they ever started bumping the compression back up after it being so pathetically low for so many years that alot of people would put the cheapest thing in it no matter what they recomended. wheather it be because they were too cheap or just didnt know any better. regardless it would happen. so they gave us all this crap to protect us from ourselves. try to take a old school iron headed non computer SBC/BBC with 13.0:1+ compression and just thro cheap gas at it and see what happens. so for the OP run what you want in your car, gm took car of you. its not hurt, just leaving power on the table. for me, i run a pretty agressive timing map tuned specifically for BP93 cause that is the most readily avalible 93 in my area. i run 93 all the time locally cause well i hate low octane timing and not having max play power at all times. but when i go on a road trip and know im gonna drive out more than a tank of gas getting there i fill up with the cheapest stuff i can get, thro in some lucas and hit the road. i get great gas mileage and never hit heavy load areas that benifit from more octane/power. then fill up with the good stuff when i get there. well thats my $2.50 for tonight
Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Finally some real knowledge and not some asshat just trying to fake it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, all you have to do to reset your computer to the high octane tables is put 8 or more gallons of gas in it. That comes to me straight from a GM Tech.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Teching In

no, but how long you have been doing drugs affects how bad you suck at life.... proof read dingle, at least make an attempt at sounding like you made it past 5th grade
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Teching In

How long you've been on here doesn't determine what you know, but how many drugs you've done does.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by junkindatrunkmx6
Seems that to get really GOOD legitimate information on ls1tech... instead of asking a question.. you have to give a bunch of nonsense information that is false, and pretend to know what your talking about. Then all you have to do is wait for the real motorheads to explain just how wrong you are, and give you all the information you want.
+1 just get fotis going