Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marginal gains with FAST 90/ NW tb

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008 | 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

And..i'm still want to know why a bigger, better intake doesn't gain hardly
anythink on FI setups. If the intake flows more air in the motor than there
should be a good size gain. Blowers/turbos can push past restrictions so that can't be the reason. Most FI guys stay with the LS6 intake. They figured it out that the cost per power isn't worth over $1,200 and thats before porting
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
And..i'm still want to know why a bigger, better intake doesn't gain hardly
anythink on FI setups. If the intake flows more air in the motor than there
should be a good size gain. Blowers/turbos can push past restrictions so that can't be the reason. Most FI guys stay with the LS6 intake. They figured it out that the cost per power isn't worth over $1,200 and thats before porting
Maybe its because its flawed by its design for the extra pressures put on the intake from BOOST. The multi piece intake can leak under high boost causing tuning issues as well as power loss. Also FI guys don't need to justify the $1200 purchase when u can add 2lbs more boost and overcome the restriction of the LS6 intake and make just as much power.
Old 07-13-2008 | 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
That thought process is assanine at best. I don't launch at idle so I could give two ***** if the LS6 intake makes more power at idle. The FAST intake shows gains not just at peak, the avg hp/tq gain is quite good. The OP listed track conditions for both days, as well as differences in the run and still picked up MPH in worse air. You can say all you want, but MPH is a function of HP....and if you MPH higher you have a greater potential to go faster. I have no argument that the FAST is way expensive and for some not enough gain to justify the purchase but its still a good mod. I do agree that the majority of the gain of power is made due to the larger TB opening.

You keep mentioning something about added plenum volume of the FAST intake itself. A larger TB opening doesn't mean it has more plenum volume. The 78mm FAST makes more power then the LS6 intake, albeit not much....it still makes more across the board from what i have seen. Guess what the ONLY difference between the 78/90/92mm fast is THE TB opening. Use ur logic to explain that. ET is a function of car setup, and driver skill. The driver is responsible for driving the vehicle differently and utilize the powerband. 60ft and 330' does dictate ET, no ****...raise the launch higher and hook the car and the ET would pick up but what the hell does that have to do with the intake.
Read it again...i NEVER said launch at idle. But its a starting point for plotting an intakes power. Or start at 1,000 rpm i don't really care. Use your head and do your homework, Fast claims the intake plenum is 20% larger than stock on the Fast before they remade it. Yeah if the intake side isn't an issue bolt on your stock factory lid or an LS1 intake then ask what the hell an intake has to do with it.
And really the Fast 90 shows gains everywhere? You better take a look at some dyno sheets on here and maybe Lingenfelter's site...The Fast doesn't start making more across the board. Only from 3,500rpm up!! And why doesn't it show barely any gains on FI car? Use your logic and explain that. You dont think torque out of the hole means anything??? Thats why the quickest cars have the lowest ET's and 60' times? You have no clue. Torque is what moves the car out and the hp takes over on the top end. You never saw 2 cars at the track race and see one of the cars ET but have a lower MPH? Yet see a car with a slight higher MHP but a lower ET? Thats tq talking. BTW not everyone is gonna want to launch their car at rpm to 3,500 or higher. Most guys use their car either for DD or street races. I mostly race on the street. Try running down a car with your top end car, you'll be playing catch up to the guy with lower power down off the line. Then we'll see who's assanine. Oh BTW since you're a smart guy look at this http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products...en3/intake.asp
Darn you got me...they never said the plenum volume was 20% i was wrong....IT"S ACTUALLY 25%!!!. Click the link it's right on the page. I guess i used my brain and did a 20 second search and found it. And the Fast 90 was 20% larger it's the new one thats 25% larger. Either way the Fast had a 20%-25% larger plenum PERIOD. It's the 5th bullet down, in black & white
Old 07-13-2008 | 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe its because its flawed by its design for the extra pressures put on the intake from BOOST. The multi piece intake can leak under high boost causing tuning issues as well as power loss. Also FI guys don't need to justify the $1200 purchase when u can add 2lbs more boost and overcome the restriction of the LS6 intake and make just as much power.
I agree..but they are abviously adding boost with a Fast if they want the gain. But what about cracking issues with guys running n/a? There's no excuse for a high price item. Oh i just thought of something else. The fact a $850 intakes in the first places should be covered under a manufacture workmanship quality issue, just like anything thats sold and hasn't been damaged. And plus the price they're charging, especially after they just resigned it, even under boost it shouldn't leak. Unless you're running 30psi than i can see it leaking. About guys on the FI section got cracks and leaks under 15lbs. That's something that the paying customer shouldn't have to eat. FI guys spend truck loads of money on their setups, if the Fast showed a 35hp-45hp gain FI guys wouldn't be able to get their credit cards out of their wallet fast enough.lol. They aren't shy about sqeezing every hp they can, they just don't like a part that will most likely leak or crack besides the small power gain.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 07-13-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2008 | 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Most FI guys stay with the LS6 intake. They figured it out that the cost per power isn't worth over $1,200 and thats before porting
You keep referring to FI guys; they are not doing it because its not worth it, they are not doing it because FAST90s does not work well with FI applications.

My guess is because the higher CFM capability of the FAST is not good for the boost. maybe its eating up the boost. Boosted cars likes tighter restricted setups.

another example, STS kits...if you put headers on the car the STS loses power. Keep the stock manifolds and you make so much more power. similar concepts i believe.

yet another example, why do FI cars go with mild cams? the big cams make awesome power for N/A so why areFI guys not using big cams? same thing...because it doesnt work for that application
Old 07-13-2008 | 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW not everyone is gonna want to launch their car at rpm to 3,500 or higher. Most guys use their car either for DD or street races.
You type a lot. And through all those words not a damn thing you say makes any sense. Anyone launching below 3500rpm, M6 or A4, obviously is going to get left behind no matter what intake their using Why do you care what RPM the intake starts making power!? You've got a loose converter and a cam that doesn't come into it's powerband until the FAST starts making power anyway!!

Look, the OP gained 1.5mph in this thick, hot, humid air we've had lately. He'll probably see 121+ in the fall. Sounds like the FAST worked for him...
Old 07-13-2008 | 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Blacknite types too much and his "theory" or lingenfelters for that matter are to be expected. The FAST 90 owns the market and obviously they want a piece of the pie.

Its proven all OVER THIS BOARD and many others that the intake makes great gains. It's just like anything else, you've always got one bad apple cutting corners and not being precise about things and ******* it up for everyone else (their poor results).
Old 07-13-2008 | 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Read it again...i NEVER said launch at idle. But its a starting point for plotting an intakes power. Or start at 1,000 rpm i don't really care. Use your head and do your homework, Fast claims the intake plenum is 20% larger than stock on the Fast before they remade it. Yeah if the intake side isn't an issue bolt on your stock factory lid or an LS1 intake then ask what the hell an intake has to do with it.
And really the Fast 90 shows gains everywhere? You better take a look at some dyno sheets on here and maybe Lingenfelter's site...The Fast doesn't start making more across the board. Only from 3,500rpm up!! And why doesn't it show barely any gains on FI car? Use your logic and explain that. You dont think torque out of the hole means anything??? Thats why the quickest cars have the lowest ET's and 60' times? You have no clue. Torque is what moves the car out and the hp takes over on the top end. You never saw 2 cars at the track race and see one of the cars ET but have a lower MPH? Yet see a car with a slight higher MHP but a lower ET? Thats tq talking. BTW not everyone is gonna want to launch their car at rpm to 3,500 or higher. Most guys use their car either for DD or street races. I mostly race on the street. Try running down a car with your top end car, you'll be playing catch up to the guy with lower power down off the line. Then we'll see who's assanine. Oh BTW since you're a smart guy look at this http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products...en3/intake.asp
Darn you got me...they never said the plenum volume was 20% i was wrong....IT"S ACTUALLY 25%!!!. Click the link it's right on the page. I guess i used my brain and did a 20 second search and found it. And the Fast 90 was 20% larger it's the new one thats 25% larger. Either way the Fast had a 20%-25% larger plenum PERIOD. It's the 5th bullet down, in black & white
The FAST intake makes more Avg HP/TQ, it makes more usuable HP/TQ at the RPM that counts when racing. Thats what matters. More topend power can be translated into better ET/MPH if the car is setup accordingly. Why don't u try reading what i typed again, I made the comparison that the 78mm FAST has gains over the LS6 intake throughout the curve with the same size plenum volume as the 90/92mm version. I said that due to your comments that make it seem like the added plenum volume of the FAST intake makes ur powerband suffer.
Old 07-13-2008 | 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tacklebox
Exactly. My ET's were because of bogging or spinning off the line. If i could have gotten a clean launch i felt the car had 11.70's in it or maybe even better. But its not the intake's fault that i don't know how to launch my car lol.
^^^Did some of you posting in my thread catch this????

I drive a 6-speed car with stock 3.42 gears. I did NOT have a clean launch all day and still ran quicker AND faster than ever before - 11.92 at damn near 120 mph - full weight, hot humid weather.

When i first posted this thread, I was bummed about my $1k purchase when i saw barely any gain on the dyno. But at the track, it told me a different story. Now I'm happy with the setup because i saw the gains i was looking for and realized it has even more potential with good traction.
Old 07-13-2008 | 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eamador11
You keep referring to FI guys; they are not doing it because its not worth it, they are not doing it because FAST90s does not work well with FI applications.

My guess is because the higher CFM capability of the FAST is not good for the boost. maybe its eating up the boost. Boosted cars likes tighter restricted setups.

another example, STS kits...if you put headers on the car the STS loses power. Keep the stock manifolds and you make so much more power. similar concepts i believe.

yet another example, why do FI cars go with mild cams? the big cams make awesome power for N/A so why areFI guys not using big cams? same thing...because it doesnt work for that application

That doesn't make sense....doesn't a bigger cam or heads maqke more power. ? And how can more CFM cause an intake to not make more power?

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 07-14-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eamador11

You are right...spending over $1200 or 15rwhp, a chance the intake will crack and numberous dyno's inclding the one i gave as an example doesn't make sense Yeah OK. Well the STS kit isn't the best kit out there...the more efficient turbo setups use the high pressure coming right out of the motor and the closer the exhaust signal is to the turbo the faster it will spool up with less lag, and the turbo uses the hot expanding exhaust gases/or pressure to get rid of any lag with the newest turbo designs. And just look at EPP they use a 232 intake cams and are making killer numbers...so i don't know where you get your info from. It just shows a well designed turbo/blower kit doesn't need tons of duration. But a larger cam still makes power , just ask Speed Inc. So why doesn't more boost on a Fast add power? Thats what this is about not cams.
Blowers like tighter setups????? You haven't a clue...if that was the case then guys would be running heads with smaller than stock intake runners and run smaller than stock cams if bigger cams don't work. The less restriction the more power you're able to make and with less restrictions you can up the boost which adds even more power. Manifolds on STS's has nothing to do with an intake that can't make more power with N2O or boost. A larger plenum has more room which is supposed to store the boosted air just waiting for the intake valve to open.
And i'm referring to all Fast users...over $1,200 to $1,400 for low gains in higher rpms plus the splitting issues is plain is not worth the cost, thats simple enough to understand? Thats why theres sooo many post on here about guys asking if it's worth it.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 07-13-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

The FAST intake makes more Avg HP/TQ, it makes more usuable HP/TQ at the RPM that counts when racing. Thats what matters. More topend power can be translated into better ET/MPH if the car is setup accordingly. Why don't u try reading what i typed again, I made the comparison that the 78mm FAST has gains over the LS6 intake throughout the curve with the same size plenum volume as the 90/92mm version. I said that due to your comments that make it seem like the added plenum volume of the FAST intake makes ur powerband suffer.

Top isn't what all matters...most cars don't race on a track...**** if i want a race
care i'd go with a 572cid big block. Strret race a car with strong low end and see if you still think tq doesn't have it's place. This intake isn't made for race cars, its made for all LS1 cars including street. And there's plenty of post here about guys losing low end where strong street setups love. Sure the 78 gains a hand full of hp thats why guys are buying 90's or now 92'. I don't even see anyone buying 78's cause the gains blowed, thats why guys moved to the 90 intake. And earlier i was told the plenum had no volume increase from another member, even though the web site claims the plenum is larger..lol. No it's not the volume...its the overall internal design that causes gains that don't come close to justifying the cost. A larger TB and manifold should show a hell of a lot more gains for the cost, thats what i said. Blowers respond to intake and exhaust mods, if they're designed right.
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You type a lot. And through all those words not a damn thing you say makes any sense. Anyone launching below 3500rpm, M6 or A4, obviously is going to get left behind no matter what intake their using Why do you care what RPM the intake starts making power!? You've got a loose converter and a cam that doesn't come into it's powerband until the FAST starts making power anyway!!

Look, the OP gained 1.5mph in this thick, hot, humid air we've had lately. He'll probably see 121+ in the fall. Sounds like the FAST worked for him...

You're right but i still wouldnt buy a apart that gains what a Fast does especially since i would need it ported. BTW if u see my sig i dont have the WS6, i sold it. It had the Vig. In a race if we have close setups and you out MPH me and i out ET you, which happens all the time. I win since i got to the end faster. Thats what matters. top end parts only up the mph. Doesn't mean **** about ET.
Old 07-14-2008 | 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry everyone about the long post. I just hate to see a fellow F-body or Vette guy
get something thats not worth the cost. Other small mods that cost less will show better gains for 1/3 the cost or whatever. I'm glad you guys are happy. I know the thing
would end up in the river if i paid that much for such small gains.
Old 07-14-2008 | 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Blacknite types too much and his "theory" or lingenfelters for that matter are to be expected. The FAST 90 owns the market and obviously they want a piece of the pie.

Its proven all OVER THIS BOARD and many others that the intake makes great gains. It's just like anything else, you've always got one bad apple cutting corners and not being precise about things and ******* it up for everyone else (their poor results).

Bad apple..so Lingenfelter who sells both intakes know less than you do? Get over yourself. Plus you dont know dick about me or my cars or my parts, i just got enough brains to not waste over a grand on an intake!!! Yeah me running a stock LS6 intake is cutting corners, and to use your words if the part works all the better right? So its cutting corners for a company that took the time to test a Fast 90 over a stock LS6 with nothing more than a larger opening?...atleats their intake doesn't have a history of cracking around the mounting bolt or splitting under boost and oh yeah it shows gain in FI cars. Sounds like Fast is using **** plastic. When have you ever cracked a stock intake from overtightening the bolts??? And a $850 manifold might break under 15lbs or less??? Sure you're more than welcome to back a POS!!!Honestly the head and cam we run don't really need a 92mm intake or TB, unless to spin it to the heavens. There's tons of n/a cars that run low 10's or lower with a LS6 intake so i guess it flows fine. Put the weather excuses away for awhile...whats the Fast gain period? Everyone has to deal with the same tracks and weather issues and theres some quick *** cars not making reason why your new intake might not show track gains. Just my .02 plus i've been through all these kind of **** since my first new '94 Z28.
Old 07-14-2008 | 04:47 AM
FTW
Teching In

You're right but i still wouldnt buy a apart that gains what a Fast does especially since i would need it ported. BTW if u see my sig i dont have the WS6, i sold it. It had the Vig. In a race if we have close setups and you out MPH me and i out ET you, which happens all the time. I win since i got to the end faster. Thats what matters. top end parts only up the mph. Doesn't mean **** about ET.
Damn, you dont care to ACTUALLY READ whats typed do you? Yes, MPH doesnt mean **** if you cant drive the car to the corresponding ET.. When you gain HP(MPH), you have to drive the car differently to get to a better ET.. Like BigKap94z said
More topend power can be translated into better ET/MPH if the car is setup accordingly

A4 cars and M6 cars are completely different when racing.. You really dont have to do much in an auto except stall it up, make sure you dont spin, floor it and hold on.. As long as the cars mods all act well with one another (ie: the correct stall with the corresponding gear/powerband) then the car is going to ET really well for the MPH it has.. An M6 is a whole different kind of car when racing (you actually have to use 2 hands and think while racing it) which plays a HUGE role in ET and mph..

Ive seen cars trap low 120 and run in the 10s.. Ive seen cars also trap high 120s and still running low 11s.. Granted the MAIN difference between the 2 cars was one was an auto and one was a 6spd.. Ill let you guess on which is which..
The 6spd car is FASTER than the auto car, but due to driver error its not quicker..

If you dont understand this, then there is no help for you..
Old 07-14-2008 | 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

I have heard plenty of bashing regarding the FAST intakes. I just did my ported 92/92 combo a few weeks back. I am very happy with the results. Haven't been able to run it at the track yet (down until October), but I can tell you that the FAST combo provided power you can actually feel. If you are above 3K and stomp it, the car just takes off now, and continues to pull harder and harder as the RPM get up there. Obviously low end is not gaining much, if anything. But I can tell you that I lost nothing down low from the LS6 to 92/92 swap. Actually gained slightly in HP and Torque. But once it hits 3K+ RPMs, the FAST takes over and shows nice gains in HP and Torque.

Bash this if you want, but I know what this combo has done to my set-up, and I can tell you the FAST 92/92 (ported) definitely outperforms the LS6 by a noticeable amount. Just my 2 cents.

I agree the price is outrageous, but if you can get your hands on one for a good price, do it!!! I found my combo from a member for a GREAT price, so I have no complaints...
Old 07-14-2008 | 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bad apple..so Lingenfelter who sells both intakes know less than you do? Get over yourself. Plus you dont know dick about me or my cars or my parts, i just got enough brains to not waste over a grand on an intake!!! Yeah me running a stock LS6 intake is cutting corners, and to use your words if the part works all the better right? So its cutting corners for a company that took the time to test a Fast 90 over a stock LS6 with nothing more than a larger opening?...atleats their intake doesn't have a history of cracking around the mounting bolt or splitting under boost and oh yeah it shows gain in FI cars.
Whoa there buddy. Your hositility clearly shows you don't like the FAST intake, thats fine, don't buy it. BUT, stop spreading your BS propaganda. So you don't like it, thats fine but others do and many people are showing terrific gains.

Did I say Lingenfelter didn't know jack? Sure didn't. Did I say they'd like to get their hand in the "cookie jar" to grab a little bit of the money the FAST is raking in? You bet.

Now as far as your reading comprehension, it sucks, and it shows throughout this entire thread. Your ridiculous babble overrides any valid point posted here etc.

I NEVER said that using an LS6 intake was cutting corners etc.

Here's what I said in reference to the FAST intake and the small small group of people who some how get bad results and then later find out that by them cutting corners cost them power etc.

" It's just like anything else, you've always got one bad apple cutting corners and not being precise about things and ******* it up for everyone else (their poor results)."

So in your words, why don't you "get over yourself" and this argument about why YOU think the FAST 90/90 is a waste of money. Many people, including myself, are very happy with our results.
Old 07-15-2008 | 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Whoa there buddy. Your hositility clearly shows you don't like the FAST intake, thats fine, don't buy it. BUT, stop spreading your BS propaganda. So you don't like it, thats fine but others do and many people are showing terrific gains.

Did I say Lingenfelter didn't know jack? Sure didn't. Did I say they'd like to get their hand in the "cookie jar" to grab a little bit of the money the FAST is raking in? You bet.

Now as far as your reading comprehension, it sucks, and it shows throughout this entire thread. Your ridiculous babble overrides any valid point posted here etc.

I NEVER said that using an LS6 intake was cutting corners etc.

Here's what I said in reference to the FAST intake and the small small group of people who some how get bad results and then later find out that by them cutting corners cost them power etc.

" It's just like anything else, you've always got one bad apple cutting corners and not being precise about things and ******* it up for everyone else (their poor results)."

So in your words, why don't you "get over yourself" and this argument about why YOU think the FAST 90/90 is a waste of money. Many people, including myself, are very happy with our results.

I'm glad you're happy. And as far as being hostile, darn right...Fast is taking LS1 guys for a ride and i was only standing up for all of us that have a LS1 f-body or whatever. I'm not bashing any person, only a part. So how's that probaganda? I'm pointing out serious issues. I'm getting ready to install LQ9 heads, cam and D1SC blower and if bought the FAst and didn't gain squat i'd be pretty upset. And still no one has explained how a higher flowing manifold doesn't work any better than stock one with a blower. I'm curious why. IS that less hostile enough for you??
Old 07-16-2008 | 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

I'm getting ready to install LQ9 heads, cam and D1SC blower and if bought the FAst and didn't gain squat i'd be pretty upset. And still no one has explained how a higher flowing manifold doesn't work any better than stock one with a blower. I'm curious why. IS that less hostile enough for you??
If you dont know all the facts than dont preach that FAST intakes are not worth it. You're the one that has no clue.

Quick Reply: Marginal gains with FAST 90/ NW tb