Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car hesitates off idle, ~3000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hesitation at low rpm and high load is TEXTBOOK ignition problem.

Plugs and wires.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

With the overlap of the cam and the attendant reversion pulses / low maf signal at low rpms coupled with the lack of an accelerator pump function in the tune, drivability tuning is critical as hell - a lot of work in the VE tables is necessary to get everything balanced along with proper timing. I'm running a Futral F14 (235deg / .600 lift / 112 ) and after getting the WOT settings done on the dyno, I've been gradually tweaking in the drivability part - so far, so good, but it's a lot of datalogging, etc as I'm still learning.

Hopefully, you can get everything tuned in.

Bird
Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

i can be sure that the hesitation is not due to the spark. i have had ignition problems on a different car before and thats not the problem.

this is not my DD car, there is a reason i went huge cam and dumps and 315s out the back. i absolutely love it and wouldnt have it any other way. i wanted the cam to give me the fastest time possible, and with my future mods it will. i know you dont drive WOT all the time, but i dont understand the point of being the fastest part-throttle car. you can always give it more gas if youd like to go faster. sure, a car with more torque is more fun to drive, but when im getting on it im going to be in the upper rpm range anyway, if im not then ill downshift. its really not hard to drive in a cams range. i can understand my cam might be overkill for some people, but some people (ie, me) like it that way. why dont you think everybody is driving around with TR224s? they have different tastes.

i have pretty much determined its a tune related problem, thanks to all who have helped out.

Bird, what would you say about buying software and tuning LS1s yourself? i know tuning is very in depth and difficult, but if you could do it over again would you just pay somebody to do it or would you still DIY? its something ive been debating but ive tried tuning before and i just couldnt learn enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I reccomend getting the tuning software and doing it yourself. That way, you can learn what the car is doing, and know exactly what was done to the car.

Invest in whatever brand of tuning software, I have HPtuners but plenty of people also like EFI live, and a wideband O2 sensor. This way, you'll be able to fully diagnose exactly what's going on with your car, and then make the correct adjustments.

Everytime I drive my car, I data log, just so I can have a point of reference of what's going on with it. If it feels a little sluggish, I can look at the logs and see why.

It's all a matter of personal taste and preference. I personally have this car as much as a hobby with working on it as it is a driving experience. So to me, any work that's done of the car I want to be a part of. not saying I can do everything myself, but if something is going to be done, I want to know exactly what's being done and be there as well.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfargot
Bird, what would you say about buying software and tuning LS1s yourself? i know tuning is very in depth and difficult, but if you could do it over again would you just pay somebody to do it or would you still DIY? its something ive been debating but ive tried tuning before and i just couldnt learn enough to make it worthwhile.
The Alchemist said it all perfectly - it's more than worthwhile, especially if you plan on future mods and have a desire to learn all you can about it. I've been pretty fortunate in that I've had tuners that were willing to share knowledge and get me started on the right track with both my Lightning (SCT PRP) and the SS (EFILive) and continue to answer questions when I hit an occasional stumbling point. I did pay them for the initial tuning and still continue to do business with them as far as parts, etc - even bought the tuning software from them and continue to recommend them to others - they still have businesses to run...............I've found that if I work with them, they'll work with me.

Bird

Quick Reply: car hesitates off idle, ~3000 RPM