Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam too big to pass smog in CALIFORNIA?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pay $150 and pass with a bootleg smog... =)
Old 07-19-2008, 05:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
ethanol has zero emissions so if you run your car with a lot of ethanol for the test you will be able to pass.
I suggest you take a refresher course in basic chemistry.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
You did not just seriously ask this question..

you also mentioned headers.. well.. you can't do longtubes in Cali, you'll fail a visual inspection.

Move to another state.
Hahahhahaha! I've lived in Nor Cal my whole life and hated smog! You either mod your car then strip for smog, pay someone on the side to pass it, or move to South Carolina where they just don't care.

I'm going to buy a 1967-1972 Camaro, or Chevelle and put a LS1/2 in it when I move back to Cali so they can't mess with me.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol no way would you pass with a MS4 hahaha. The only way you will pass smog with a cam is if you use a really small cam like a 224 112lsa max. Then if you go with Long tubes you will need a good set of cats and have a somewhat cool smog guy that will skip the visual. But if you take it to a smog guy who is by the book he would probably fail you automatically with long tubes because in the state of california you are not allowed to change the location of the cats.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by disavowed10
239/242, .649"/.609 112lsa
Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
your asking if that cam is too big to pass smog.
ethanol has zero emissions so if you run your car with a lot of ethanol for the test you will be able to pass.
Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
You could always leave the stock cam in, take it to have it smogged, then put the big cam back. Just an idea.
Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
You did not just seriously ask this question..
you also mentioned headers.. well...you can't do longtubes in Cali, you'll fail a visual inspection.
Originally Posted by $O$OE
pay $150 and pass with a bootleg smog... =)
Originally Posted by Prerun4fun13
lol no way would you pass with a MS4 hahaha. The only way you will pass smog with a cam is if you use a really small cam like a 224 112lsa max.
The question is, can a car pass smog with big cams? Headers? The answer is yes. There are 3 major hurdles we all have to deal with when trying to pass emissions. There are always ways around emissions requirements. The best way is to do it without breaking any laws, regulations or slipping "Jose" a $benjamin$.

1) Diagnostics
2) Emissions
3) Visual

Diagnostics: Even if the vehicle has a bypassed or non-existent OBD1/2 port, the vehicle can still pass smog.

Emissions: As long as the vehicle passes emissions (blows clean), the vehicle passes emissions.

Visual: Visual is a big non-issue. Visual inspection is one of the main issues why most people fail their emissions testing. As long as the engine bay looks somewhat stock and doesn't have shiny or colorful aftermarket components, the vehicle passes visual.

Cams: Even with an aggressive cam, as long as the emissions portion of the test blows clean, the vehicle passes emissions.

Headers: Very big issue, many techs will fail you because of headers. As long as the vehicle looks stock, with a stock engine bay, and doesn't sound too loud, some techs will pass your vehicle even with headers.

The idea here is to make the car look, sound and function as stock as possible with cams, headers and misc. modified parts. You can look online at what type of fuel people are using to pass emissions. I have tried them all, from propane, to natural gas, to ethanol.

Propane: It works really well, it passes.
Drawbacks: Too much work to install, tune, then uninstall.

Natural gas: 2 phase, gasoline main fuel, switchable to natural gas.
Drawbacks: Same as propane, too much work.

Ethanol: Ethanol is a bit different to e85. e85 is 15% gasoline, 85% ethanol. Premixed e85 is very hard to get outside of the midwest cornbelt. Ethanol can be purchased and mixed into fuel. The homemade e85 is actually a lot closer to e35 (65% gasoline and 35% ethanol). Each person will have to mix his own batch and tinker with the gasoline/ethanol ratio in order to tune/time his own vehicle.
Drawbacks: Difficult to locate, purchase and transport. The ethanol, then must be premixed. The vehicle must be tuned to run on the specific mix of ethanol.

Inorder to pass emissions on gasoline/gasohol/e85, the vehicle must run a fully functional catalytic, the only way you can pass emissions without a catalytic is on propane or natural gas.

Emissions testing is bs. Smog mandates are bs. Peoples vehicles should be smogged and taxed for the smog the vehicle produces. Almost like a smog tax. If we want to modify our cars, we pay the tax, instead of paying "Jose" at the local shop to either put our cars back to stock, and/or, take care of it for us.

I am a couple miles from the US/Mexican border, on the US side we have smog requirements, on the MX side, there are no smog requirements. Why impose and enforce strict emissions laws on the US border, when all the polluted air is coming from the polluting factories and vehicles in Mexico.

Why is it that vehicles 1975 and older don't have smog requirements or emissions mandates, yet our newer vehicles do.

It just doesn't make sense. For the meanwhile, we all must be law abiding citizens and abide by the strict guidelines and mandates set by our state and federal governments regarding smog, and emissions testing.

Hiroki Kobayashi
Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said before, I packed my bags when I found out I could move to California to get me an illegal alien sissy man to get married to. We were going to sit around all day and smoke medical marijuana in the projects where we would live for free, cash our welfare checks and eat meals provided by tax payer funded food stamps. Unfortunately I had to put the brakes on when I found out I could do all those fruity and nutty things out there in California, but when it came time for my illegal alien punk husband to drive our Camaro to the inspection station he would get busted and deported because our car has headers. I had to draw the line somewhere. No one forces you to live in California. If you can't figure out a creative way to hide the fact that you have headers you're not very creative. Pop the hood on a new vehicle in your local showroom and you'll find out you can even see the engine anymore. The manufacturers hide the entire engine with plastic covers. Don't tell me the inspection techs remove all those covers to catch a few hot rodders trying to pass inspection while running long tubes.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Like I said before, No one forces you to live in California. If you can't figure out a creative way to hide the fact that you have headers you're not very creative. Pop the hood on a new vehicle in your local showroom and you'll find out you can even see the engine anymore. The manufacturers hide the entire engine with plastic covers. Don't tell me the inspection techs remove all those covers to catch a few hot rodders trying to pass inspection while running long tubes.
Very good point.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Like I said before, I packed my bags when I found out I could move to California to get me an illegal alien sissy man to get married to. We were going to sit around all day and smoke medical marijuana in the projects where we would live for free, cash our welfare checks and eat meals provided by tax payer funded food stamps. Unfortunately I had to put the brakes on when I found out I could do all those fruity and nutty things out there in California, but when it came time for my illegal alien punk husband to drive our Camaro to the inspection station he would get busted and deported because our car has headers.
LMFAO Good visual
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

If they were only as strict with illegals and gays as they are with smog tests, i'd move back to Cali. Wait... I am in 2 years anyway. j/k

Or... I could be a real rebel and bring a bunch of illegals across the border in a cammed Camaro! Then I'd have to deal with the Austrian death machine, aka the Governator!!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firefighter813x
If they were only as strict with illegals and gays as they are with smog tests!
Modified vehicles that don't pass visual smog, are not causing anybody any harm.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Guess ya didn't find that funny. Just kidding cus I've lived in Cali my whole life.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Ethanol has to be carefully mixed into gasoline. Gotta know your exact ratio.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

What I wanted to do was spot weld a set of factory manifold heat shields on aftermarket LT's to make them appear factory........ Im sure someone will do it and post on here in the future.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Damn! Sure sucks to live in Cali! Highway Patrol over there are a**holes too.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by highgear
Florida does not even have Smog Tests. I'm packing now!
louisiana either.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nor does indiana but it sucks here,so i dont suggest moving to this place...
Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
I suggest you take a refresher course in basic chemistry.
I got some really good news. I tried to make an appointment with the CARB referee, looks like the state has cut most of CARBs funding due to CA budget crisis. CARB referee funding has been cut, no more CARB referee.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by test only
I got some really good news. I tried to make an appointment with the CARB referee, looks like the state has cut most of CARBs funding due to CA budget crisis. CARB referee funding has been cut, no more CARB referee.
This is true. My friend was pulled over 3 weeks ago in his dumdumdumdum and given a ticket because he had no carb numbers on his intake and his exhaust, Although they were all Mopar parts which were on the car. Police officer told him to only drive to school and work until the refferee sees it. He comes to find out that as of July 31st Arnold pulled the plug on all the State refferees. My friend gets pulled over again LAST week for the same thing. My friend explains how he is supposed to fix it when there is no state ref. The officer checks with his commanding officer and calls my friend a liar.

True story
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Is this really true??? If so.........to all my fellow californians!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

What the hell is a CARB referee? Sounds like some kind of a diet guru.

Quick Reply: cam too big to pass smog in CALIFORNIA?????