Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI 347, opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MTI 347, opinions wanted

I know that I saved $700 on the install- (I paid Chris $300 for the install, and $350 to tune) MTI wanted $1000 to install and $500 to tune.
Man, I gotta call BS on that $1000 cam swap quote. I'm positive that MTI has never charged a grand to install a simple cam swap. In fact, MTI was the first shop on the net to start offering cheap cam swap prices and cam install GPs. $1000 was their price for the parts AND labor.

example:
https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...;Number=669591
Several of MTI's prices have dropped over the years. Apparently this is one of them. They wanted $150 to weld in subframes (absurd- if you ask me. There is no reason to charge this much. I covered that in the e-mail I sent you), $400 minimum (any snags would be extra)to install a 12bolt, I wish I could remember the obscene amount they wanted for a clutch swap and the header install- (I believe the headers were $500) . That's just too much money for that type of install.

I would have installed my own cam, but Chris was gonna have ot tune it anyway, and he only wnated $300 to put it in- I said **** it and let him handle it. For that price it wasn't worth the headache for me.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Resident Grump

The first solid roller LS1, MTI... MTI, etc etc etc.

Uhhhh I don't think so.... Better check your stats there.

Old 08-28-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey guys, ive been having some motor problems so i decided to go ahead and get it rebuilt, so im goin with MTI
dont have much $$$, so im going with just a built 347
any of you guys that have one or know someone with one have any opionions to share about it?

while the motors there, im gonna go ahead and get my LS1 heads worked (stage2)
then i'll have em dyno-tune it once i have it put back together
only thing i dont know about yet is the cam im gonna get........any of ya wanna suggest a good cam for this motor that you have experience with?
i dont drive it that much, so it doesnt have to be too "streetable"

thanks in advance!
-jason
------------------------------------------------------------

Can we get back to the original subject and just ignore the jackass who has hijacked this poorguy's thread!!!!

I think he was looking for advice from someone who has actually had a forged 347 built, and Bohdi is not qualified to answer that question because he has'nt had one built from anyone according to his sig. All he is qualified to be is bitter, rant and cry about it!

Hey Bohdi here's something to think about! Who's gonna pay for engine damage if one or more of your pistons tap a valve or two? I don't think Chris at Speedemon is gonna be much help to you, your gonna take that right up the tailpipe. You saved money by getting rid of the warranty that MTI provides, good for you! Now leave this guys thread alone and let someone who has something constructive to say answer him.

Randy
Old 08-28-2003, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey guys, ive been having some motor problems so i decided to go ahead and get it rebuilt, so im goin with MTI
any of you guys that have one or know someone with one have any opionions to share about it?

only thing i dont know about yet is the cam im gonna get........any of ya wanna suggest a good cam for this motor that you have experience with?

thanks in advance!
-jason
------------------------------------------------------------

Can we get back to the original subject and just ignore the jackass who has hijacked this poorguy's thread!!!!

I think he was looking for advice from someone who has actually had a forged 347 built, and Bohdi is not qualified to answer that question because he has'nt had one built from anyone according to his sig. All he is qualified to be is bitter, rant and cry about it!

Hey Bohdi here's something to think about! Who's gonna pay for engine damage if one or more of your pistons tap a valve or two? I don't think Chris at Speedemon is gonna be much help to you, your gonna take that right up the tailpipe. You saved money by getting rid of the warranty that MTI provides, good for you! Now leave this guys thread alone and let someone who has something constructive to say answer him.

Randy
Hey TTop- here's something you should consider before you go getting shitty with me- the title to this post is-

MTI 347, OPINIONS WANTED

Maybe you should go back to school and take a reading comprehension course.

He asked for opinions....
Old 08-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Badass pool player

Good point, the title of the thread was indeed:

"MTI 347, Opinions wanted" - which would imply to any reasonable person - I'm considering this motor and would like to hear your opinion on it.

This thread wasn't entitled:

"Can we get Bodhi's views on MTI?"

or

"Hey! Bodhi you out there? Would love to hear you bash MTI some more"

or even

"Bodhi, as you had one bad experience with MTI a couple of years ago and have carried the pain of that experience with you since then and have been apparently unable to get over this, would you please come and hijack my thread? Oh and BTW, if you dislike MTI so much, perhaps you should buy a new airlid or at least change your sig?"

No, I don't recall this thread being called any of the last three, but maybe they should have been.

Old 08-28-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point, the title of the thread was indeed:

"MTI 347, Opinions wanted" - which would imply to any reasonable person - I'm considering this motor and would like to hear your opinion on it.

This thread wasn't entitled:

"Can we get Bodhi's views on MTI?"

or

"Hey! Bodhi you out there? Would love to hear you bash MTI some more"

or even

"Bodhi, as you had one bad experience with MTI a couple of years ago and have carried the pain of that experience with you since then and have been apparently unable to get over this, would you please come and hijack my thread? Oh and BTW, if you dislike MTI so much, perhaps you should buy a new airlid or at least change your sig?"

No, I don't recall this thread being called any of the last three, but maybe they should have been.

I'm really starting ot feel like you guys don't like me.
You don't have to admit it, but I know you would miss me if I was gone.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I do not understand you guys. Why do you guy's act like attacks on a shop are personal attacks. They aren't talking about your mom.

If you worked there and/or did their R&D it would make more sense. I mean seriously think about what you are arguing about.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Coal Mining Director

bodhi...go to www.motorsporttech.com/z07.asp and look at the list of performance parts MTI supplies with the 427 motor for $20,995 installed in a 6 speed car. Who is the quality vendor that will do the same for $8,398 to $14,697???? That is using your 30% to 60 % off quote.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, MTI is a great shop. Do awesome work. Ive had my bad experiences and never got a reply to one of them (even though they told me they would email me back and never did) but afterall they are an OK shop. But yes, very expensive. If you have the dough, go with them, if not put up with another shop. Simple as that. They wanted $400 Bucks to install a Walbro Fuel Pump, I wouldve paid it bc I knew they WOULD do a good job. The only reason I didnt was bc they recommended me the Vortex Fuel Pump.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Let's refocus the thread and work on his questions...

thanks in advance!
-jason
If you having an engine built you should be able to selection pistions with valve reliefs so you can pretty much run any cam you want without P to V issues.

Since you've had one motor break, I'm pretty sure you don't want to go through that again anytime soon and if something does occur, you'd probably like the shop to stand behind the product. For your case, in my mind this means a shop that will WARRANTY their engines should do your next engine.

I think the following offer warranties: MTI, ARE, LPE, & MMS

Likewise, since warranty is something to consider, it must be a shop that has a stellar track record so you can expect the warranty to be honored. This means a shop that has the ***** to put the warranty in writing so their isn't any misunderstandings. Quality of work and few problems with the work done has to be considered. IMO and I have my reasons, this cuts it to a short list of the following sponsors.

MTI or LPE

Between the two, we seem to see MTI be more aggressive with pushing the LS1 in power development over the last few years. We've seen a lot of MTI set ups that made 420+rwhp, I'm sure there are some LPE set ups that make great numbers but IMO MTI has an edge here with a NA 347.

MTI would be my choice out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW I did get my mail ordering tuning from MTI. They treated my tuning as if it was as important as any of the big ticket stuff. I had a good experience with them. I also bought a few things from LPE small ticket stuff and LPE was excellent in all regards.

As for non-sponsors, MORE cam up. Do a search, there appeared there were two threads in the last month about MORE. If you go with MORE, deal with Mike directly. I live ~15 minutes from MORE, and I would go with SRP over MORE for something like this personally. SRP did my heads, cam, header, & gear install, did an outstanding job on all of it at a very fair price. SRP fixed a lot of little problems that would have messed my car up, I'll provide details via PM if anyone wants to know. So there one of Bodhi's "little" shops, he was talking about wanting to hear about.

So for me in the above sit it would be:

MTI or SRP

I think about the proven 347 w/Stage II heads, pistons with valve reliefs maybe and a 230+ ish cam. I might even ask about offset grinding the crank to pick up a few cubes.

Good Luck

Old 08-28-2003, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Reliable & Proven vs. Bleeding Edge & Unstreetable.

LPE also comes to mind.
Am I ever gonna see this sweet C5 of yours???

And to the original poster: I'd look at just how many people in your thread, myself included, are gonna be getting a forged/stock-cranked LS1 from MTI . . . Geez! You too Steve! I guess EVERYBODY'S getting one now . . . it's all the rage

Old 08-29-2003, 02:00 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not understand you guys. Why do you guy's act like attacks on a shop are personal attacks. They aren't talking about your mom.

If you worked there and/or did their R&D it would make more sense. I mean seriously think about what you are arguing about.
I don't work there or do their R&D. However, I've been a customer of theirs since the day they opened, approximately 10 years ago. They do some of the finest work available and treat customers well. I've also made a lot of friends there, including the owner, Jayson. The reason so many MTI customers back up MTI is because they know they've got a quality product and are treated respectfully. MTI is not perfect, it has made it's share of mistakes, but they handle them in a professional manner to try and reach an agreeable outcome.

I personally stick up for MTI because I know how hard Jayson and the rest of the crew there work in order to bring great products to customers. I'm there nearly everyday and witness many transactions, their day to day operations and customer service. If I wasn't satisfied with them believe me I would not have had them modify my 4 Mustangs and 3 Camaros - so far.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

forged/stock-cranked LS1 from MTI
Is there anyone that makes an aftermarket stock sized crank? Cuz i'm thinkin about doin an all bore motor, but the only problem is, I wanna spray a HUGE shot, and the stock crank is supposedly only good to 600 hp!!! Like I wanna get a TNT Direct Port kit, which is 300 shot minimum, and i'd like to maybe even put it to 400!!! By the way, anyone ever go that high of a shot on one of our cars?!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Devon, Lunati makes a stock stroke forged crank. But, its the same price as the other stroker cranks, therefore isn't a very popular item.

Tony
Old 08-29-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

As much as I hate to agree with Joe I do agree with him there...
Old 08-29-2003, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

-----------------------------------------------------------

I did'nt get a 347, but I did just get a built 383 from them, and I'm thoroughly pleased with the engines performance so far. The combo I got is very streetable, yet it can get quite rowdy at the track too! Lloyd at MTI built mine and did a great job. The engine fired right up after the build and it did'nt throw any codes, still has'nt.

You should be able to beat on this engine pretty hard, the stock crank is a very strong piece. Brooke (99RedHawk) Ayton detonated his engine about 3 years ago on a 250+ shot of nitrous, blew up pistons and rods, but the stock crank came out intact. So together with the forged parts, you'll wind up with one strong motor!

-----------------------------------------------------------
I had the C2 hammer cam before the present setup and made 421rwhp/401rwtq with stage 1 heads thru a 10-bolt/3.73s. Their have been several M6 guys to make 430-440rwhp with stage2 LS1 heads/C2 setup, it's a proven combination and very streetable. However, as Tony suggested the X1 is probably what your looking for, it's capable of 440+rwhp with stage 2 heads, and it's not as streetable as the C2. David Coates SS Camaro pulled 445rwhp with that cam and stage 2 heads.

If you want really ragged cam performance, then look at DailyAluminum Block's thread for his next cam. He is making some obnxious low-end power and is now looking to improve on that.

Good Luck with the new engine and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a warranty!!

Randy
Old 08-29-2003, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about TSP? Personally I"m ahuge fan of their offset crank motors, they put out awesome number and are cheap, with top-notch parts. They also have 347s though, I believe. They alomst seem like the next MTI, as in they are making a big name for themselves fast doing some new stuff. Some of their cams are kind of cutting edge too.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about TSP? Personally I"m ahuge fan of their offset crank motors, they put out awesome number and are cheap, with top-notch parts. They also have 347s though, I believe. They alomst seem like the next MTI, as in they are making a big name for themselves fast doing some new stuff. Some of their cams are kind of cutting edge too.

Seems like a read a write up on the offset strokers nad it wasn't too good. Not enough CI/hp to justify the cost. I'll see if I can locate that...

$700 more than a 347 for 19 CI. Not to mention you lose some structural integrity of the crank itself.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:51 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I hate to agree with Joe I do agree with him there...
Nowhere in Tony's statement does it say "The first solid roller LS1..." Joe as he usually does is misquoting Tony to put his slant on things, and you haven't read the posts and are agreeing with the ol' fart.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like a read a write up on the offset strokers nad it wasn't too good. Not enough CI/hp to justify the cost. I'll see if I can locate that...

$700 more than a 347 for 19 CI. Not to mention you lose some structural integrity of the crank itself.

Um, they cryo treat they crank, so no integrity is lost. They sprayed over 200 on it and never broke it. saw almost 800 at the wheels on the juice and almost 500 NA without issue. In fact he is selling that exact test motor now.
Maybe Trevor or someone can chime in on this one?