Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI 347, opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003 | 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: MTI 347, opinions wanted

Devon, Lunati makes a stock stroke forged crank. But, its the same price as the other stroker cranks, therefore isn't a very popular item.

Tony
Thanks a lot Tony! That really sucks though! Is there anything that can be done to the stock crank to make it handle a big shot like i'm wanting w/ the all bore? Or can the stock crank handle it w/o problems?
Old 08-29-2003 | 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Devon, how much do you want to spray? like 300? the crank might take it if its tuned a little safe. This is what im doing, forged pistons and rods but with a stock crank. Wonder if the crank gets cryoed and balanced how much it would take? To my knowledge I dont know anyone destroying a motor due to crank failure....
Old 08-29-2003 | 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, when I get the all bore (i'll probably get it sometime mid next year), I wanna put a TNT direct port system on it, so that's 300 minimum, and I would like to up it to a 400 and see what happens! How much does cryo treating and balancing the crank cost? And will a sponsor do it before installing the crank into a short block for me? Cuz i'm thinkin of buyin an all bore short block, a good set of heads to go with it from Absolute Speed and VERY LARGE cam! It will have a good tune, it will be tuned by "The Dragon" so i'm not worried about the tune, i'm worried about if the stocker can handle that much hp w/o blowin up! hehe How much more hp does cryo treating and balancing the crank allow it to handle (how much stronger is it?)? Thanks for any help guys, I just like to plan everything ahead and map everything out, so I know how much I gotta save to put into it!
Old 08-29-2003 | 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

What about TSP? Personally I"m ahuge fan of their offset crank motors, they put out awesome number and are cheap, with top-notch parts. They also have 347s though, I believe. They alomst seem like the next MTI, as in they are making a big name for themselves fast doing some new stuff. Some of their cams are kind of cutting edge too.

Seems like a read a write up on the offset strokers nad it wasn't too good. Not enough CI/hp to justify the cost. I'll see if I can locate that...

$700 more than a 347 for 19 CI. Not to mention you lose some structural integrity of the crank itself.

19 CD for $700, not worth it?

Even if each extra cube only makes only 1.05 to 1.20 rwhp more that's 20 rwhp to 25rwhp depending on the set up. $30 to $35 per hp isn't that bad.
Old 08-29-2003 | 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just becasue its 19more CI for 700 and you can say that it will give around 20 more hp. You also have to look at the fact that its gona make better power.
Old 09-01-2003 | 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow
i forget i posted this topic and it turns into an internet war

but yes, i was going with the texas based MTI
my decision isnt 100% final, because i still have to finish figuring up my financial plan for this project
and i havent even started pulling my motor out yet
but i guess the X1 cam or a similar sounds pretty good to me, should put me in the area i want to be in

that reminds me, time to start doin somethin to the Z
Old 09-01-2003 | 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

I gotta admit, its funny as hell reading this thread. Over 75% of the people responding DONT have built motors from ANY of the vendors out there. If it were me personally, I would be more apt to listen to someone who actually has experience with the shop you are referring to. Someone buying a lid from MTI doesnt give them the knowledge they need to inform you about MTIs' motors.
On that note, I have dealt with MTI (Jayson more specifically) and they are a TOP NOTCH shop. I had nothing but good experiences with them. Jayson runs his business as a true professional and ALOT of shops could learn a thing or two from him.

As for my particular motor, I went with Futral Motorsports. The reason for this was his experience, his racing background, his warranty, and also his customer service. I have a 1 yr warranty on my motor as long as it stays NA( so its out the window this month ) I also looked at Allans personal car which had been together for a year and a half with NO ISSUES at all and spraying BIG SHOTS on it quite often. This is what I wanted, a radical setup able to take abuse and backed by someone who had worked with GM for over 13yrs.

Bottom line, every shop out there can put together a forged 346 and make decent power. Just go with whoever YOU feel the most comfortable with and causes the least inconvenience in your life. For me that was FMS, for you it could be anyone. Goodluck with whoever you choose.
Old 09-01-2003 | 04:51 PM
Resident Grump

The first solid roller LS1, MTI... MTI, etc etc etc.

Uhhhh I don't think so.... Better check your stats there.

As much as I hate to agree with Joe I do agree with him there...
Nowhere in Tony's statement does it say "The first solid roller LS1..." Joe as he usually does is misquoting Tony to put his slant on things, and you haven't read the posts and are agreeing with the ol' fart.
Hey leo... Why do think I didn't use the quote function. So it could be corrected you dip ****.
Old 09-01-2003 | 05:04 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Joe take some Geritol and fiber it'll help you retain your memory. Now get off the computer, change your Depends and take a nap, bitch.
Old 09-01-2003 | 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

I, like many others will tell you to stay with MTI. You can see in my sig what MTI has done for me. My bottom-end is stock to every bolt. Other than that they have replaced all. Jayson built my set-up for safety and reliably. It was money we`ll spent. There customer service is the best. Yes you can save money, but if you own a LS1 everything cost . Jayson has tuned and perfected mine so sweet. I have called on a monday for something and tuesday I was on the dyno tuning! No questions ask. Many down here in my town have seen what my MTI set-up can do! Yes there are cheaper products! But I promise if you do go with MTI you will never regret it. I have never from day one and I was on a fixed budget. But I just couldn`t stop!!!!!!