Sponsored by:

115 degrees outside today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question 115 degrees outside today...

friggin hot guys...

took the TA out all over Phoenix... for a little endurance run to see how it handled the heat and all... Didn't get on it or run it hard or anything like that... just wanted to see how it reacted to normal cruising in 115 degree phoenix heat...

In the end I'm pretty happy with it as it seemed to run fine...

only thing I ran into, and this could be a normal thing with any car, but I was parked in a parking lot for about 10 minutes with the A/C turned on full blast. I noticed my temp guage go from the typical 210 straight up and down to about the 235 mark... basically the 2nd to last slash on the temp guage... didn't get in the red or anything, but it bugged me enough to get the car going again... I jumped back on the freeway and fairly quickly it went back down to the normal operating temp of 210...

Now... I have the massive Be Cool radiator, along with a 160 t-stat and tuned fans... But, I guess no matter what, if your sitting still on hot asphalt with the A/C on full blast apparently it'll run a little hot no matter what...?

what I'm curious about is, if I had not gotten back on the freeway and just sat in that parking lot, would the temp have stayed at about 235 or continued to rise?

what do you guys think about all this? Normal?

Last edited by Soul TKR; 08-02-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I would say sitting still in the car it will run harder because the hot sun, and asphalt is radiating onto the car in addition to the heat being made from the running engine.

Even though it is hot out, when you are driving there is an air stream that helps cool it slightly

The temp might have just stayed at 235 or gone up, who knows. I'm sure it's not something I would want to take a chance on
Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
friggin hot guys...

took the TA out all over Phoenix... for a little endurance run to see how it handled the heat and all... Didn't get on it or run it hard or anything like that... just wanted to see how it reacted to normal cruising in 115 degree phoenix heat...

In the end I'm pretty happy with it as it seemed to run fine...

only thing I ran into, and this could be a normal thing with any car, but I was parked in a parking lot for about 5-10 minutes with the A/C turned on full blast. I noticed my temp guage go from the typical 210 straight up and down to about the 235 mark... basically the 2nd to last slash on the temp guage... didn't get in the red or anything, but it bugged me enough to get the car going again... I jumped back on the freeway and fairly quickly it went back down to the normal operating temp of 210...

Now... I have the massive Be Cool radiator, along with a 160 t-stat and tuned fans... But, I guess no matter what, if your sitting still on hot asphalt with the A/C on full blast apparently it'll run a little hot no matter what...?

what I'm curious about is, if I had not gotten back on the freeway and just sat in that parking lot, would the temp have stayed at about 235 or continued to rise?

damm its in the 90s here all year long in the islands and I thought thats hot.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

bump
Old 08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

dude im the only guy in phoenix who rolls with the top down in this weather. stock radiator car stays at 210 with my stall. No tellin how hot the tranny gets because i have no tranny temp yet. I just don't want to think about it.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
dude im the only guy in phoenix who rolls with the top down in this weather. stock radiator car stays at 210 with my stall. No tellin how hot the tranny gets because i have no tranny temp yet. I just don't want to think about it.
does it stay at 210 sitting in a hot parking lot with the A/C running full blast for about 10 minutes?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say the massive becool is only so effective.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

i don't abuse my car like that. i turn it off
Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I would say the massive becool is only so effective.
i guess so... i'm gonna add some water wetter to it as well. Maybe that'll help a bit...
Old 08-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can step up the waterpump as well to an Evans if the wetter doesnt help or swap out the radiator to one of my RD's but I'd get a real guage on there first though and see what the temps really are. Not sure how accurate the oem guage is.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Phoenix for three years for work and the 95 vette I have did 240-245 in traffic. This was the norm. I had changed the radiator,t-stat,and even flushed the block out w/ w/p off. Did this for 3 years and didn't hurt anything.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
haha shitt im in the vegas heat and i get my temp gauge into the 3/4 mark if im sitting in heavy traffic but once i get air running through her she cools too 210 or so ..at least on my m6 i can feel how hot the shifter gets under that hurst leather
Old 08-03-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Guys..... I live in Kuwait today the temp was 122*F loooool. I kept my camaro at home any used the other car but i remember last week i went out the temp out side was more or less 120*F my ECT was 194*F wile i was stuck in trafic for like 10 mints with A.C. on Full thats with stock radiator & fans. As soon as i hit the High way it fals to 185*f (or something like that). I get away coz i have my fans tuned to start early
Old 08-03-2008, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree that if you upgrade all of your cooling parts it will be safer but you still run the risk of overheating.

I bet if we had you running in place in the summer you'd overheat...=D can't expect your car not to...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I do have an autometer water temp guage... unforunately I haven't got around to hooking up the sensor just because the only place to hook it up is the rear of the passenger side head, and we all know how big of a pain in the *** that is...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Teching In

i would maybe get a electric water pump not only would it give you some robbed HP back it would make it run slightly cooler in traffic/parked because it spins faster at idle than a stocker...
Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by COR6s
i would maybe get a electric water pump not only would it give you some robbed HP back it would make it run slightly cooler in traffic/parked because it spins faster at idle than a stocker...
those aren't typically meant for DD cars though are they? aren't they more of a drag queen mod?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

with the a/c on and sitting you are going to run hotter, you have no air movement other that what the fan is pulling, (make sure that the fan is on high speed with the a/c on) and you are trying to remove the latent heat from the condenser. imo, when it is that hot dont let the car sit and idle for long if is unneeded, with the air on.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rpmauto
with the a/c on and sitting you are going to run hotter, you have no air movement other that what the fan is pulling, (make sure that the fan is on high speed with the a/c on) and you are trying to remove the latent heat from the condenser. imo, when it is that hot dont let the car sit and idle for long if is unneeded, with the air on.
yea... most of what you said is pretty much common sense.... I just wanted to see how it handled the heat and how it reacted... I was keeping tabs on the vitals the whole time

basically I just started this thread to see if this is something I should expect and is normal, or something is wrong and I should check into it
Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does it too since the H/C swap. I am looking into a Ron Davis from Blanco or Howe Racing Enterprises direct fit. Anybody make a direct fit double pass for our cars?