Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are lifters required with new cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are lifters required with new cam?

Are lifters a must for replacing cam on an engine with 121k on it. They're not bleeding down at all and engine has no ticking. The car is driven very little on the street and usually only sees strip duty on weekends. I would be wanting to go with a pretty decent sized cam though and really wasn't wanting to buy heads for my stock block so pulling the heads to put lifters in if not necessary would suck since I would rather wait til it dies and go with a full long block build.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to change them, but the added stress of higher pressure valve springs may cause one to collapse. Personally I would run the originals and only change them if a problem arises.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would change them. Take into mind pushrod lenth and lifter style. The ls7 lifters are good for a budget lifter. But the high price lifters ,moral,comp,crane,ect will do just fine. Stock lifters are ok for mild cams and low milage but those lifers have a little miles on them. I would replace them because a 180-400 dollar upgrade can save you 5k+ on a short block.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well one thing is for sure. With a big cam and hi rpms and aggressive lobes and high pressure springs you might get your wish for the new engine sooner than you think..LOL
Or you could replace them when you pull the heads and be ahead of the game.

Also why wait for it to break before you get a new one? If you sell it now while its still good you can use that money to offest the cost of a new one.
Say you get $500-$1000 for the shortblock. That puts my 408 at only $3300 for you. And it will handle all you can dish out! Sell your stuff before you break it and use the money for the new stuff. Why lose money by destroying the good engine before you buy a new one?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It a good practice to change the lifters with a new cam but not necessary if there in good shape