Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions Decisions....H/C/I/NO2 vs. D1SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decisions Decisions....H/C/I/NO2 vs. D1SC?

Looking for opinions from those that have done both.....What are your opinions on a good NA/spray setup on a stock shortblock vs. slapping on a D1sc an 8lbs of boost, good fuel system etc?

My current setup is stock 38k mile LS1 w/ MS3 cam, LS6 intake, LTs, OR/Y etc that makes 390rwhp w/ stock pulley, stock TB, stock heads. I also have a 150 NX kit on it. I am SERIOUSLY thinking about slapping a D1sc on top of what I have currently and hoping for 530-550rwhp that I will have all the time...(ie. not refilling bottles etc). But also thinking about just keeping it simple and working with what I got, slapping on some TSP 5.3l 2.5s heads, Fast 90/90, UD pulley, retuning it and keeping the spray. Basically I could gain 50hp for about $3k or 150hp for $8k and have more power all the time. I know I can come up with $3k much easier then $8k but.....

Car is a weekend driver that I want to start racing more at the strip and street.... I want good driveability. Currently my cam has nothing on the bottom end and I think the heads would help that but the big intake/tb might hurt it so..... I Just want 10.80s at full weight...

Your thoughts?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn I should have put this in the Gen III EXTERNAL mods section..... MY BAD.... Maybe the mods can move it? Or let it ride. Looking forward to seeing opinions from you guys the are still doing it with stock shortblocks.... Seems like everyone has big motors these days....
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reason people have big motors is the stock short block can only handle so much abuse and then things break. I'd stick with the nitrous and save for a forged short-block.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I am gonna keep it around 550-575rwhp whether I keep the spray and slap on H/I or put a blower on it. I need to keep the stock motor running for a while. I think I would have more fun with a 550rwhp supercharged daily driver though then continuing to play with the dope.

Damn I figured more members would have had both setups and could chime in...

BTW I have been using the Search feature for days on this subject....
Old 08-02-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

The ms3 wouldnt be a good supercharger cam IMO.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no the MS3 is not good supercharger cam, its way too big on a stock motor for that.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of people are starting to put prochargers on big cams and getting good results, you may be suprised. I am going to try it myself.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a track car and a weekend car only.. i saw throw some nice heads a 90/90 on it and yada yada yada.. if you drive it all the time.. put a small small cam in and put the procharger on it.. although sounds like yuou want something down low in the TQ... thought of a maggie?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 AM
12 Second Club

Lets say that an ms3 works 100% with a D1. And that it actually is 8k for boost. (its alot more all said and done). Is that 100hp really worth 5 thousand dollars to you? NO..Unless your balling and making serious money, i would save the money. My friend has ls6 heads and a vindicator cam. He traps 121. All you need to do is get really really good heads, get a sticky tire and im sure you'll hit your mark. I've had boost before and when stuff breaks, its so expensive.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My cam's not as big as yours, but my experience is very similar. I put a 150 shot (dry) on my TA, and had it dynoed... 475 hp & 523 tq. The immediate power response was so brutal that I simply could not keep the tires from spinning (I don't have slicks, I have the stock 10 bolt). I got rid of it and went the D1SC route. I couldn't be happier for several reasons:
1) The power curve does not level off. It keeps climbing all the way to my shift point (6300).
2) The power is always there. No bottle warming, purging, filling, etc.
3) Runs like stock, good gas mileage, sounds cool.
4) I can up the boost with the change of a pulley.

Now, I lost quite a bit of torque from the switch (see sig.) and I haven't been to the track yet, but I'm sure that my times will improve dramatically. Therefore, my recommendations is... go with the D1. Good Luck.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
The ms3 wouldnt be a good supercharger cam IMO.
what makes you say that?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

I have done both. If you can afford it. Go Procharger.

I got tired of always filling the bottle. It's only on at WOT.

Boost is always there. You even get boost at part-throttle.

Nitrous will give you more torque sooner than FI. So it will be quicker.

I just did both.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5w20
what makes you say that?
Just thought a super charger cam would like more intake duration and a wider lsa like around 115 or 116.

Last edited by Shawn MacAnanny; 08-04-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

correct..
Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
Lets say that an ms3 works 100% with a D1. And that it actually is 8k for boost. (its alot more all said and done). Is that 100hp really worth 5 thousand dollars to you? NO..Unless your balling and making serious money, i would save the money. My friend has ls6 heads and a vindicator cam. He traps 121. All you need to do is get really really good heads, get a sticky tire and im sure you'll hit your mark. I've had boost before and when stuff breaks, its so expensive.

Man I hear ya...... Been searching this board for days about this....from what I have been reading, it seems most f-body guys are going faster/quicker with H/C/I/N2O then they are with FI...(on stock type motors anyway.....under 600rwhp)......Go look at the 10 Sec club sections....TONS of H/C/I/N2O cars in there but very few FI cars, unless they are basically race cars....

I know I would like the blower better on the street for cruising, shows, posing etc.... but if I trap 127mph on spray, then spend $8k on a blower and trap 124mph, I will be PISSED....

Just seems like the H/C/I/N2O cars are faster, or at least easier to get them to run the numbers...then add the fact that I already have the cam and spray.....lot easier to spend the $3k to finish the top end then $8k but......

I am studying the board and waiting for more people to chime in who have done both.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Just thought a super charger cam would like more intake duration and a wider lsa like around 115 or 116.

i will soon be doing a 347 procharged d1sc and i will be using a g5x3 and hopefully i'll hit 700 of course with supporting mods.

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Man I hear ya...... Been searching this board for days about this....from what I have been reading, it seems most f-body guys are going faster/quicker with H/C/I/N2O then they are with FI...(on stock type motors anyway.....under 600rwhp)......Go look at the 10 Sec club sections....TONS of H/C/I/N2O cars in there but very few FI cars, unless they are basically race cars....

I know I would like the blower better on the street for cruising, shows, posing etc.... but if I trap 127mph on spray, then spend $8k on a blower and trap 124mph, I will be PISSED....

Just seems like the H/C/I/N2O cars are faster, or at least easier to get them to run the numbers...then add the fact that I already have the cam and spray.....lot easier to spend the $3k to finish the top end then $8k but......

I am studying the board and waiting for more people to chime in who have done both.
i've done the h/c/i spray setup but got tired of that, now its time to move onto boost for me. Nitrous is a hassle finding time to fill it and somewhere that actually has it without driving around and looking for it.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ajrothm

i was thinking of going the other way too..... did my research... i was thinking STS.. then front mount.. then maggie.. then procharger.....

it was a stupid idea.. im sticking H/C and nitrous.. as fast if not usually faster.. and a looot cheaper.