Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speeds LS6 Heads/Manifold VS TFS Heads/Comp 90/90 Set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Speeds LS6 Heads/Manifold VS TFS Heads/Comp 90/90 Set up

I would like to know what roughly is the RWHP/TQ difference between a set of Texas Speeds $1000.00 LS6 heads with a LS6 manifold a stock T/B completely ported, polished, half shaft, knife edge blade, bump stop mod and epoxy mod and Trick Flow heads with Fast Lsx Manifold/PTM TB set up?

Last edited by Z28XTC; 08-17-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

No idea anyone? Is the difference as much as 25rwhp after a dyno tune on both set ups? Texas Speed guys chime in please.
The dollar difference between the 2 types of set ups is about $2500.00

Last edited by Z28XTC; 08-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's kind of difficult to quantify this one. Most of the time, people are looking at it a bit different and asking the HP difference between the PRC/FAST combo versus the TFS/LS6 combo, since the two combos cost about the same.

Which intake do you have currently?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

I have the LS6 intake with stock ls1 heads but I am seriously considering doing one of your cams(dont know which one yet) and a set of your LS6 heads as for the money it seems good value(Your site says 50hp up). Its just later down the track I dont want to think I should have paid the extra bucks cause I am missing out on a **** load of power.
If the diference is not to much I will go with 1 of your cams(Please help me with selection) your LS6 heads, my TB and my manifold.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the FAST intake is ported, I think you could see over 50 rwhp difference between the two setups. This is just my uninformed opinion though...for what it's worth.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

The TFS heads/FAST intake is going to make 50-60rwhp more, in my opinion, and a lot more everywhere not just peak.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I'm about to get back on the engine dyno in the next week or two. I'd like to take that bet with either of you. We've had ART in Austin swap PRC LS6 heads & 78mm FAST intake for a TFS head & Fast 92mm combo. The results were approximately 15rwhp! We're testing many different brand heads compared to our castings, PRC LS6, and PRC 5.3l heads. If anyone would like to offer up there heads for testing I'd be happy to throw them on for a few pulls.

I don't get on here & post guesses based off reading online. I've personally dynoed huge numbers of cylinder heads & camshafts. I feel very confident that the power differences with be very small.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Guys I'm about to get back on the engine dyno in the next week or two. I'd like to take that bet with either of you. We've had ART in Austin swap PRC LS6 heads & 78mm FAST intake for a TFS head & Fast 92mm combo. The results were approximately 15rwhp! We're testing many different brand heads compared to our castings, PRC LS6, and PRC 5.3l heads. If anyone would like to offer up there heads for testing I'd be happy to throw them on for a few pulls.

I don't get on here & post guesses based off reading online. I've personally dynoed huge numbers of cylinder heads & camshafts. I feel very confident that the power differences with be very small.
and that is why i'm going with the prc ls6 heads and ms3 cam on my vette
Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

So jason do you think the difference between the stock LS6 Manifold/TSP LS6 Heads/Stock PNP etc TB and FAST 90 Manifold/TFS Heads/PTM TB will be roughly 25rwhp? A rough guess will be fine. If its as much as 50rwhp-100rwhp I would consider going that way.
Please keep in mind I will be going with one of your cams and will be dyno tuning this car which either set up I choose to run with.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I should have said that a properly set up combo would be 50 rwhp different. You can't just put different heads on the same cam and then measure the numbers.

If I see you put 475+ rwhp through a set of PRC heads with cam that keeps the car streetable, I'll buy a set the next day. I just don't see it happening though.

Again, I'm just going by what I've seen. If people could make BIG power through these heads, the market for AFR, TFS, and ETP would be almost non-existant. There is a reason that these heads still sell...they make a lot more power!

I'd LOVE for you to prove me wrong, because I could afford heads and cam right now.

I'm assuming you're going to mill the PRC heads to get high compression similar to the people running AFR/TFS/ETP heads?

I'm really looking forward to the results either way!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Second Club

I have the TFS 215cnc heads and would be willing to let you test my car. I did loads of research and have seen (dyno pulls) dyno #'s from Dart to TFS and even PRC 5.3l cnc ported heads to TFS and the #'s were between 10rwhp to 33rwhp just changing the heads to TFS.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Dyno numbers don't win races. If you lose a race at the track, are you gonna throw your dyno-sheet at the other driver for the win?

I don't autox, track, or open road race in any sanctioned events. I also do not receive sponsor-ship from TSP or any other vendor for that matter; which is why I don't go out of my way to prove the effectiveness of said sponsors products. BUT in a thread like this I'll make an exception

My TSP LS6 heads and MS4 cam with 90/90 yada, yada . . . has pulled a C6 ZO6 motor to motor. I've also had MANY races with other heavily modified Trans Am's, Camaro's, and GTO's where my car has put bus-lengths on them motor to motor. I know from real-world experience that their heads (TSP) can bring BIG power in the real world.

To the original poster: your request for a horsepower estimate has FAR TOO MANY variables to provide any kind of accurate findings. The LS6 heads make big power. TFS heads will make a little more. ANY combination will rely HEAVILY on it's accompanying bolt-ons and how well the combination is matched together.

If you want a MAX effort set-up; go with TFS, AFR or TEA.

If you wanna save some coin and still have big USEable power with money to spare for other modifications; go with TSP.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my buddy has a 2007 Lamborghini Gallardo and I put a hand full of lengths on him from 30 - 100ish mph motor to motor repeatedly.

Christopher

Last edited by The Dragon; 08-18-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Dyno numbers don't win races. If you lose a race at the track,

The true test would be to have 2 H/C cars same setup, one with TSP heads, the other with TFS and run the 1/4 mile, same driver..... but that will not happen because someone's business will be hurt. until then we can only speculate
Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I vote you go with the PRC heads and Fast 92 combo from them and that way when you put a cam in, its got all the air you need and nothing is holding you back. You'd save alot of money doing this rather than blow your wad on TFS heads and a Fast. If you saved on the PRC heads, you could get the Fast 92 ported and buy a cam, and still save money over getting the Fast and the TFS heads.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

FUTRAL tune coming Saturday. Will let u guys know what she does with mods in sig.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

And while we're at it, how would the PRC heads LS6 or 5.3 stack up to Cartek 3X? They are both ported factory heads, right? I'm in the process of picking which head/cam goes on my 346. I like that the PRC and Patriots save a lot of cash for other things, but I don't want to skimp on such an important part of the build.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by troopercar
And while we're at it, how would the PRC heads LS6 or 5.3 stack up to Cartek 3X? They are both ported factory heads, right? I'm in the process of picking which head/cam goes on my 346. I like that the PRC and Patriots save a lot of cash for other things, but I don't want to skimp on such an important part of the build.
Well, I may be surprised and dyno low, I dunno. But, I will tell you that my installer, who has been doing this a LONG time and actually runs a 427 lsx now, said the port work on my heads was exceptional. My car runs really strong throughout. I'm mainly going to Allan to help with part throttle tuning. Finding out the numbers will just be a bonus.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by troopercar
Well, as far as ported stock castings go, it's really tough to beat Cartek. Look in the Drag results area. You see people running LOW-MID 10's at 130mph+ on a stock bottom end. I don't know what they dyno, nor do I really care because a stalled auto is no dyno queen. There was 1 guy who ran on a 6 speed and the Cartek 4x package (maybe 3x) and hit 507 on a dyno through a 9 inch rear.

I'm sure though that they are more expensive than TSP's, and probably for good reason. It's all about compromise. Think of the heads/intake as the muscle and the cam as the brains. The heads are where the power is made. It just depends on cost vs neccessity and your preference.

Ask lots of questions and look at lots of results.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
Well, as far as ported stock castings go, it's really tough to beat Cartek. Look in the Drag results area. You see people running LOW-MID 10's at 130mph+ on a stock bottom end. I don't know what they dyno, nor do I really care because a stalled auto is no dyno queen. There was 1 guy who ran on a 6 speed and the Cartek 4x package (maybe 3x) and hit 507 on a dyno through a 9 inch rear.

I'm sure though that they are more expensive than TSP's, and probably for good reason. It's all about compromise. Think of the heads/intake as the muscle and the cam as the brains. The heads are where the power is made. It just depends on cost vs neccessity and your preference.

Ask lots of questions and look at lots of results.
Big ditto to all that Forgot about Cartek . . . and they've had LOTS of press in HPP and GMHTP over the years about their crazy-fast combos
Old 08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Big ditto to all that Forgot about Cartek . . . and they've had LOTS of press in HPP and GMHTP over the years about their crazy-fast combos
Yep, and I'm all about drag racing don't care much about dyno queens. Just curious how much better at porting and cam selection Cartek is over Texas Speed and if it's worth $2000 extra.

I really want Cartek but my wallet (wife) says PRC.