Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single or double chain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Single or double chain?

For all of u ignorant ***** that asp pulley thing should only apply to C5 owners, look at the differences in the pulleys f-body Vs. C5 and u will know what I mean. Second of all they are spacers, they seal fine if tightend correctly and they are not ghetto. I have heard of one double chain breaking, and yes it should be tight, it should only have a little slack. Do u all know what happens to a chain when it gets wore it gets sloppy (slack) with lots of slack it gives the chain the ability to jump teeth on the cam or crank gear. The truth is u all bought single chains and ur trying to make urself feel good about it. Do urself a favor spend the 85.00 on a good chain dont buy the slp chain its the same as the rollmaster and cost twice as much.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey think of this...it keeps getting repeated....

$85

thats pretty cheap peace of mind....do you know what happens if your timing chain breaks at high rpm...or any rpm for that matter.....it basically destroys the engine.....cam and crank get off from one another...and suddenly your piston is going up when the valve is coming down...and BLAMMO!!!!! F#ucked up motor....it bends valves ,pushrods, beats up the pistons.....get the drift....get a double chain....If you're too cheap to spend $85 on the double chain...then you are too cheap to be a member of any f-body organization...go buy a rice burner or something
Old 09-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Ok, you guy's just made "probationary member" status on my ******* list. Nobody here that's spending thousands of dollars on practically new, $25,000-$32,000 cars is too cheap to spend $85. I wish other "ignorant ****'s" would realize that. The issue here is that people get mod-itis and just start replacing ****, not necessarily because it needs replaced, not necessarily with higher quality parts, just because "all the cool kids are doin it."

Some of us, I think we're the ones you called "ignorant ****'s," require a little more reasoning than "it's only $85 dollars, so why not bolt it on? Then you can put it in your sig!" to make a parts decision. I don't consider performance modding to include bolting on every new component you find in the aftermarket just because they have one available. Performance modding is about bolting on parts THAT WORK. As far as I'm concerned, my stock part works.

My engine is out, in my floor right now, becuase I went with a more aggressive cam grind. If I wanted an $85 Rollmaster, I'd buy it. If I wanted a $150 Jwis, I'd buy it. If I wanted a $150 Cloyes, I'd but it. I bought a $38 GM stock chain.

If someone TRULY wants a Rollmaster, and not having one is going to keep you up nights, call me and I'll send you the $85 bucks for one. This isn't a matter of money, it's a matter of concern for bearing life, Jabroney pump spacers, and machine work.

Not to step on the toes of the eminent ANNIL8R, but the shops I spoke with machine all pullies, F-bodies and Y-bodies alike. Hey, I'm not a hater, I love having guys like you around, it saves me all kinds of money. 20,000 or 30,000 miles down the road, when you start breaking cams and grenading motors because you ruined your front cam bearing with that tight chain, you can tell us about the new product that just came out that replaces the Rollmaster you used to love.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

1999 SS M6
Nice comments man and I agree with you totaly.
The agreement in all of this is that "Definitely change your chain"
Old 09-02-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock Chain here, Always shifting it @ 6500 RPM everyday, over 75,000 abusive miles on this "STOCK" chain and it still loves it Hundreds of passes 1/4 and 1/8th mile still going strong. Not saying to stick with a stocker, just showing my longevity with it.

As for soundengineer's post "If you're too cheap to spend $85 on the double chain...then you are too cheap to be a member of any f-body organization...go buy a rice burner or something"

Why in the hell would you be so stupid to post something like that above. I guess 3/4 of ls1tech.com can't be part of an f-body organization b/c they're running single chains! LOL I bet your still running a single chain

Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Stock chains are just fine and lighter rotating mass.

Nate
Old 09-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Launching!

lol.. funny.

Most of these guys that get so hot under the collar about stuff like this only get mad becuase they have one of these parts and feel they have to defend it. They don't have a clue if it's good or not, they just know that they, in their uncontested brilliance, selected it, so it must be the best. I'm not prodding everyone with a Rollmaster set to chime in on me here, lots of you guys were scared into buying them by speed shops that like to sell parts. Some of you were lead to believe it was a superior part by shops that weren't really sure themselves.. There are lots of reasons there are so many of these installed.

I hate to break it to you guys, but maybe there are a few things you should know.. Did you know:

- The stock GM timing set is manufactured by CLOYES, the best manufacturer of timing sets in the world.

- Although your Rollmaster sprockets ARE pretty, and are well manufactured in Austrailia, the chain is a huge P.O.S. manufactured by ROLLEN in INDIA? The Rollers aren't ground, they're extrued through round dies from square stock, and the parts aren't matched before assembly? (How do you think they can sell the damned thing for $65-$85!!!?)

- Did you guys already running the CLOYES TRUE ROLLER setup know that you have the same chain as the STOCK GM set?

- Reynolds manufactures all chains for the LS1 GM timing set, and is put on the Cloyes True Roller 3153A

- The only reason there is some amount of slack in the chain is because the timing set is robotically installed as a complete unit

Just some things I think some people will find interesting...
Old 09-02-2003, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

heh, dunno about you guys, I had my stock chain on @29k miles, did a cam swap, and I still have that same stock chain in there...@32k miles, 6500rpm shift, 15 runs at the track, no problems.
-Steve
Old 09-02-2003, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock chain here for 70k, 10k after the cam swap

when i do my heads i plan on replacing it with a new, stock gm chain
Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

As for soundengineer's post "If you're too cheap to spend $85 on the double chain...then you are too cheap to be a member of any f-body organization...go buy a rice burner or something"

Why in the hell would you be so stupid to post something like that above. I guess 3/4 of ls1tech.com can't be part of an f-body organization b/c they're running single chains! LOL I bet your still running a single chain
I think it is a youth situation with "soundengineer".
Statements like that mean certain individuals need to think before they type....
Old 09-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Launching!

I don't care about the juvenile replies so much as I do just plain old bad information. I will put up with someone being trite, and condescending to a degree if they have good information to offer. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. There's really no information coming from this guy at all, other than "Quit being cheap and buy one, like I did." It's just a case of sheep following the flock, that's all.

I'm sure every tidbit of information I posted about the Rollmaster, Cloyes, and stock unit is news to him. I would like to think that the majority on here that actually evaluate things based on experience, and sound mechanical reasoning will find some of that interesting.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

ditto...
Old 09-02-2003, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Alright damit does $85 mean anything to me? Hell yes. Is it well worth it if it contributes to the longevity and saftey of my engine? ******* A. If it is going to ruin the cam bearings by actualy creating another durability problem then that is the most ridiculous upgrade I have ever heard of. I do want a certain degree of adjustability and added strength, but not at the cost of longterm damage. Making more power will take care of breaking enough **** by itself. Maybe I should just get a new stock set?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I got my JWIS chain out of the package, I thought , "Hmm that looks just like the stock chain," so I threw a mike on it and measured the thickness of the material. The measurement was something like 0.012 inch thicker, but can't remember for sure. I think that pretty much proves it's stronger than the stock chain, though. Note that the JWIS single chain costs twice as much as the double roller Rollmaster; I always thought that was strange.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Teching In

So as for single chains does the JWIS give added "security" or is the stocker just fine?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:05 PM
Launching!

1.) That rollmaster chain is garbage. The sprockets are quality, but a timing set is only as good as its' CHAIN.

2.) The Jwis (spelled "Iwis," pronounced "E-wis") is a top notch product.

3.) The stock Reynolds chain is a top notch product.

4.) Cloyes uses BOTH Reynolds and Jwis chains, it's just that Reynolds makes the majority of their GM chains, Jwis makes most of their Ford chains. Reynolds has been considered the best chain manufacturer in the world for years. Jwis is every bit as good, some would say better, but just hasn't been as visible as Reynolds.

5.) The Stock chain is FINE! As I said above, it's the same chain they run on the Cloyes True Roller 3153A single roller timing set.

6.) Replacing the stock chain onto the factory gears is perfectly fine, but if a little slack worries you (and it shouldn't) then get the Cloyes 3153A. Yes it has less slack, but not because the chain is tighter, again, IT IS THE STOCK REYNOLDS GM CHAIN. They just slightly increase the diameter of their sprockets to take up slack.

I hope that helps some of you guys make your minds up.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

1999 SS M6,
do you actually know that these tight rollmaster chains actually cause wear on the front cam bearings. from what i've read it seems as though you're speculated this and then stating it as a hard fact. i just don't want people to make a decision based on your presumptions
Old 09-02-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

The Rollmaster chain has the letters "Rolon" on part of it and "AKU" I believe. I had a picture from my install that I zoomed in on.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:06 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Alright break it up you guys. Look my 01 truck (Iron block) timming chain had a ton of slack so do you think GM did that for thermal expantion? No it is just that it does not make a huge differnce for a nonrace vehicle. And for the average person would not know the difference between 5-15hp. Most people run cams with some advance already built in so if the cam is off due to slack it is not going to be very noticable. But you do notice that some car that have been called FREAKS from the factory and they make very good HP it is thease cars that I believe noticed that I said I believe because it is not documented fact anywhere. That these cars timming is dead on or very close to it. So if you want to run the stocker run it if you want to try the Rollmaster buy one but this forum is for infomation and not for ya'll to get into a pissing contest. I like the Rollmaster have installed a few and I have also used the factory one's I had no problems with either. I like less slack and I know aluminum is going to expand a little more but the chain will strech a little and I think it is going to be fine either way just do what you feel comfotable with.Good luck with all your projects and have fun racing!!
Old 09-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Launching!

1999 SS M6,
do you actually know that these tight rollmaster chains actually cause wear on the front cam bearings. from what i've read it seems as though you're speculated this and then stating it as a hard fact. i just don't want people to make a decision based on your presumptions
No, I don't KNOW that for a fact. I thought I was pretty clear about that in the post when I said I haven't torn a motor down that's been running one for 30K+ miles, and it was only a suspicion??? Did you miss that? I don't see how there could be any confusion about it, and I doubt that it would do more than inspire some free thought.
.... I would ask myself if GM thought that amount of slack was necessary for thermal cycling of an ALUMINUM block. If so, then that tight chain is going to be wearing the bejeezus out of the front engine bearings. I just haven't torn down an engine that has 50,000 miles of running a Rollmaster double to see if there's accelerated wear, so I can't confirm that, it's just a suspicious thought....
The theory doesn't belong to me anyway, it was a concern expressed to me by an enginner at LPE. I am only concerned because these engines are already known to be hard on cam bearings. I'm just saying that tightening up the timing set could feasibly increase bearing load, logically decreasing bearing life.

DALEMX: You're Right about the ROLON. I'm sorry, I was shooting from the hip on the spelling (Rollen) in my earlier post. But it is an Indian manufacture, and their techniques are questionable.

Quick Reply: Single or double chain?